ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Trim Around Windows Turning Color

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21 | 07:27 PM
spedteach
Driver School Candidate

Default Trim Around Windows Turning Color

I have a 2020 ES 350 that I purchased at the end of July. After getting my car washed today, I noticed the black trim around the windows has turned gray in several places. This doesn't seem right, as the car is less than a year old and I keep it in pristine condition. Has anyone else had this happen to their vehicles? What can be done? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 05-02-21 | 09:29 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Post some pics? I got the car at the same time too, back in July 2020 and didn't see any problem.
Old 05-02-21 | 09:53 PM
spedteach
Driver School Candidate

These are pictures from two different windows. One is really mottled looking and the other is black at the top and then gray about halfway down. It's like this on all but one window.
Old 05-03-21 | 06:28 AM
ionian
Instructor

Are you taking it through the car wash? What type and how often?
Old 05-03-21 | 07:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

make a warranty claim. no car wash of any type should cause that. i don't know if its staining from a foreign substance but it seems the other trims are fine so it could be a bad batch or something. they cost nothing so a dealer shouldn't have any issues making a claim to lexus for their replacement
Old 05-03-21 | 09:31 AM
Woffski
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed the same thing on my 2020 ES-350 F Sport. It appears as if it is a piece of plastic covering the actual trim.
Old 05-03-21 | 01:42 PM
spedteach
Driver School Candidate

This is the third Lexus I've owned, not to mention all of the other cars I've had. I've never experienced anything like this, especially with a car this new. I get it washed about once every 3 weeks or so. I can't imagine the car wash causing this!

If it's a piece of plastic, can you peel it off? I've never filed a warranty claim. Who would I contact to get this started? Thanks for all the info and help!
Old 05-03-21 | 01:53 PM
ionian
Instructor

I just went out to look at my 2019 ES300h and comparing it to same spot as yours. That part on my car is a weather strip made of rubber. Is yours not the same? From the pic yours look like it's metal?
Old 05-03-21 | 02:04 PM
spedteach
Driver School Candidate

No, it's rubber trim.
Old 05-03-21 | 03:56 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spedteach
This is the third Lexus I've owned, not to mention all of the other cars I've had. I've never experienced anything like this, especially with a car this new. I get it washed about once every 3 weeks or so. I can't imagine the car wash causing this!

If it's a piece of plastic, can you peel it off? I've never filed a warranty claim. Who would I contact to get this started? Thanks for all the info and help!
You would just take it back to your dealer where you bought the car. If you've moved you can take it to any Lexus dealer and make a warranty claim. It appears that you have a genuine issue that should be addressed. This is what warranties are for... GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-03-21 | 05:43 PM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by spedteach
No, it's rubber trim.
Hard to tell from the pic. Could it be the color of the rubber been bleached out? Maybe try a trim restorer if you don't want to deal with dealer for now. Are you taking it through one of those touch-less car wash? They can use very strong chemicals.

Last edited by ionian; 05-03-21 at 05:44 PM. Reason: ...
Old 05-04-21 | 08:09 AM
acotugno
Driver

My 2019 F Sport has had a slight variation in color in that rubber trim on all side windows since it was new. It appears that a black color rubber meets a dark grey color rubber and it's not all one continuous piece. The first picture that "spedteach" is showing looks very much like my car. The rubber on the second picture looks almost like someone tried to apply something on it to darken and it didn't adhere. I attached a photo of my car that I took this morning. Notice the splatter? Typical Florida - rained for 3 minutes and then was immediately sunny and hot. LOL

Old 05-04-21 | 08:22 AM
ionian
Instructor

Looks like there is some sort of staining or discoloration going on from a combination of things on that rubber strip. Maybe worth while to use a good trim restorer and restore it back to black. Check out this video below. This guy did a very extensive testing on 25 different products. Some last a long time before needing a re-application:

Last edited by ionian; 05-04-21 at 08:23 AM. Reason: ....
Old 05-04-21 | 08:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^that trim should never discolor, but for 20 years of use. I wouldn't at all start getting into "restoring" it. it should be replaced, period.

Seems like a tougher rubber is used on the corners which is molded (fused) into the less expensive rubber below (if i had to guess) as a way of cutting costs.

it's almost certainly one continuous piece though. waiting for OP's response where he files a warranty claim @ dealer
Old 05-04-21 | 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
^that trim should never discolor, but for 20 years of use. I wouldn't at all start getting into "restoring" it. it should be replaced, period.

Seems like a tougher rubber is used on the corners which is molded (fused) into the less expensive rubber below (if i had to guess) as a way of cutting costs.

it's almost certainly one continuous piece though. waiting for OP's response where he files a warranty claim @ dealer
Doesn't look like one continuous piece in that last image.

Quick Reply: Trim Around Windows Turning Color