ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Homelink Won’t Link

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 07:35 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Homelink Won’t Link

Did what you’re supposed to do but no link. Manual says my door might be too old. It’s nearly 10 years old. Any way around this problem?
Old 05-09-21, 05:01 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Did you clear the car buttons, holding 1 and 3? Does the car correctly learn the door remote at step one? Does the motor of the opener have the traditional orange/red button?

We just changed a 15 year old Chamberlain opener, which learned/worked fine. The new motor (a Genie with battery bu and app) was about the easiest operation I'd ever done. One button and finished.

What brand is the motor and have you used Homelink on previous cars that worked well?
Old 05-09-21, 05:14 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Did you clear the car buttons, holding 1 and 3? Does the car correctly learn the door remote at step one? Does the motor of the opener have the traditional orange/red button?

We just changed a 15 year old Chamberlain opener, which learned/worked fine. The new motor (a Genie with battery bu and app) was about the easiest operation I'd ever done. One button and finished.

What brand is the motor and have you used Homelink on previous cars that worked well?
First attempt at Homelink on any car. The remote works fine with the garage door. I did 1 and 3 to clear it first. Ceiling unit has orange learn button. Car, however, isn’t learning anything. It’s a slow learner!

u
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (05-10-21)
Old 05-09-21, 05:43 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Are two of you doing this process, since it says on the motor, "press and hold, when it flashes release the button."

Also, I've found you need to pump the Homelink button on the car > press, release, press, release, a few times.
Old 05-09-21, 06:15 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL

Are two of you doing this process, since it says on the motor, "press and hold, when it flashes release the button."

Also, I've found you need to pump the Homelink button on the car > press, release, press, release, a few times.
Just me. Released orange and entered car. Will have wife assist me tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-09-21, 09:58 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

I found programming the homelink to be a bit confusing. The manual isn't clear that if your opener has a rolling code, that you have to FIRST perform one set of steps for programming Homelink. This is from page 285 of my 2019 manual. Then once you have completed the test (actually the 4th step of the first part), you can proceed to the "programming for rolling codes" if the door doesn't open during step 4. My original understanding of the manual is that you either performed these steps 1-4 OR you programmed for the rolling codes, but you actually have to do BOTH if you have a rolling code opener (and you probably do). The manual actually makes it more detailed than necessary, with extra steps.

Step 1: Press and hold button on your mirror that you wish to use until it starts flashing orange;
Step 2: Holding one of your garage door openers within three inches of your mirror, press and hold the door open button on the remote (not the mirror). The light in the mirror will change to a rapidly changing green if your opener uses a rolling code, so now you can continue with the programming for the rolling code;

So as your opener is only 10 years old, you probably have a rolling code opener. Assuming you have completed the procedure above from the manual, continue as follows:

Step 3: Press the Learn button on your door opener.
Step 4: Within 30 seconds of pressing the learn button, press the button on your mirror that you want to use. Hold for 2 seconds and release. (The manual states you have to go through the "Press / Hold for 2 seconds / Release" up to three times.)
The door should operate now if it is successfully learned by your car when pressing the homelink button.

In order to be assured that you are starting with "empty" memory for your homelink buttons, you may want to press and hold the left and right outside buttons on your mirror for ten seconds to clear any old codes or partial attempts to program a button before attempting the above procedures. I would try to program your desired button first, and if it doesn't work, then I would try this procedure to clear all homelink memory.

I hope this distillation from the manual helps. Your door opener is a common model and the car's homelink shouldn't have any problem opening your door. There is a combination that will work! Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-09-21, 02:28 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
I found programming the homelink to be a bit confusing. The manual isn't clear that if your opener has a rolling code, that you have to FIRST perform one set of steps for programming Homelink. This is from page 285 of my 2019 manual. Then once you have completed the test (actually the 4th step of the first part), you can proceed to the "programming for rolling codes" if the door doesn't open during step 4. My original understanding of the manual is that you either performed these steps 1-4 OR you programmed for the rolling codes, but you actually have to do BOTH if you have a rolling code opener (and you probably do). The manual actually makes it more detailed than necessary, with extra steps.

Step 1: Press and hold button on your mirror that you wish to use until it starts flashing orange;
Step 2: Holding one of your garage door openers within three inches of your mirror, press and hold the door open button on the remote (not the mirror). The light in the mirror will change to a rapidly changing green if your opener uses a rolling code, so now you can continue with the programming for the rolling code;

So as your opener is only 10 years old, you probably have a rolling code opener. Assuming you have completed the procedure above from the manual, continue as follows:

Step 4: Within 30 seconds of pressing the learn button, press the button on your mirror that you want to use. Hold for 2 seconds and release. (The manual states you have to go through the "Press / Hold for 2 seconds / Release" up to three times.)
The door should operate now if it is successfully learned by your car when pressing the homelink button.

In order to be assured that you are starting with "empty" memory for your homelink buttons, you may want to press and hold the left and right outside buttons on your mirror for ten seconds to clear any old codes or partial attempts to program a button before attempting the above procedures. I would try to program your desired button first, and if it doesn't work, then I would try this procedure to clear all homelink memory.

I hope this distillation from the manual helps. Your door opener is a common model and the car's homelink shouldn't have any problem opening your door. There is a combination that will work! Good luck and let us know.
Traveling. Will resume my attempts mid-week and advise. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 05-10-21, 07:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
First attempt at Homelink on any car. The remote works fine with the garage door. I did 1 and 3 to clear it first. Ceiling unit has orange learn button. Car, however, isn’t learning anything. It’s a slow learner!

u
Yay the fat tire club. They're growing on me and I like the look now. I wanted to source the 18" wheels before but the 17s w/ fat tires have a charm to them. Your car looks good.

As far as homelink, I programmed it in 10 seconds at the dealer before driving home by holding the existing hand-held remote next to it and holding the buttons down.

As far as its operation, I find the range to be incredible driving UP to the garage... however driving AWAY from the garage, you have to be right next to it or it doesn't work. Sometimes frustrating when the car is too far and I have to reverse. (I back into my garage for safety/convenience reasons)
Old 05-10-21, 08:31 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
As far as homelink, I programmed it in 10 seconds at the dealer before driving home by holding the existing hand-held remote next to it and holding the buttons down.
Unfortunately, that won't work for the Shaboom. The opener shown in the image has a learn button. I am 99% certain that means it is a rolling code opener. Assuming that is the case, the vehicle's Homelink cannot be programmed just using the remote. That "learn" button will have to be pressed in order to complete the programming.
Old 05-10-21, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Yeah I don't know about his situation and I wasn't suggesting to try it. I was just commenting how my experience was that's all.
Old 05-10-21, 09:20 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

As for range of signal, I've found that wiggling the pigtail, and making sure it's straight maximizes the distance.

Old 08-20-24, 08:03 PM
OldArmy94
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!

This is an old thread, but it was hugely helpful to me with the 2022 ES 350 we just purchased. THANK YOU!
Old 08-20-24, 08:25 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by OldArmy94
This is an old thread, but it was hugely helpful to me with the 2022 ES 350 we just purchased. THANK YOU!
Glad it helped.
My Homelink has worked flawlessly now since first set up in 2021. Don’t want to ever be without it!
Old 08-20-24, 08:26 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Unfortunately, that won't work for the Shaboom. The opener shown in the image has a learn button. I am 99% certain that means it is a rolling code opener. Assuming that is the case, the vehicle's Homelink cannot be programmed just using the remote. That "learn" button will have to be pressed in order to complete the programming.
Yes, I seem to recall that’s correct. But done easily and has worked perfectly since initial setup.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (08-21-24)