ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Is ES F-Sport the wrong ES to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 12:14 AM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is ES F-Sport the wrong ES to buy?

According to this reviewer it is.. he makes some interesting observations and he does raise valid points.

Old 05-16-21, 03:32 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

I love the F sport. Anyone can make a review and post opinions. It is all up to the buyer and their money. As a car enthusiast I respect all differing opinions.
The following users liked this post:
Prado (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 04:29 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems like he is favoring the ES Hybrid over the F-Sport. If you want a Hybrid, then the that is the way to go. He also said he will not get the AWD ES. If he is referring to the ES250 with the 4cyl, I totally agree. Not enough power for the size/weight of the vehicle. No, the power is not for racing but for me, power = safety. I want to know I have enough power to accelerate onto a highway where traffic is moving well north of 75MPH or use power to maneuver myself out of a bad situation if necessary. Defensive driving starts with situational awareness and the ability to accelerate yourself out of a situation is just as important as braking and steering. So that is my lengthy way of saying that placing a 4cyl in the AWD ES was a ridiculous engineering snafu by Lexus. Sorry, I digress a bit off topic.

I have a 2019 ES 350 F-Sport with the V6 of course and love the vehicle. Ample power, ride is great - quiet, smooth, balanced yet firm enough. Own the vehicle now for almost 2 years and haven't had any issues. Never been to the dealer for a warranty related item. Only oil changes/tire rotations at the dealership and engine air filter and cabin air filter changes that I perform myself.

frankymenz (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 05:09 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I like this guy's take on the Lexus line up. My favorite line is at 2:15 - "There's really no point in getting an LS anymore because the ES is that good."
Old 05-16-21, 06:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

All subjective. For me, the FSport was the only one I would purchase. Cluster, exterior trim, wheels and seats.
Prado (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 06:47 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
All subjective. For me, the FSport was the only one I would purchase. Cluster, exterior trim, wheels and seats.
Does he give a reason he doesn't like/recommend the ESF? If he did, I missed it.
Old 05-16-21, 06:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Does he give a reason he doesn't like/recommend the ESF? If he did, I missed it.
I didn't bother watching it It wouldn't change my mind.
Old 05-16-21, 07:04 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I didn't bother watching it It wouldn't change my mind.
I highly recommend it. I liked it a lot. It's 19 minutes and his comment about the ESF is about 5 seconds of it. He goes over the whole Lexus line and I pretty much agree with him all the way. He trashes about half of the models.
Prado (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 08:39 PM
Prado
Driver

essentially he makes the point that ES sport is not a true sports car...like a BMW M sport or S line

ES true character is the luxury spec and that is the one to go for ..

my own experience is that I partially tend to agree with him I love the f sport looks and every thing about it but they could make quieter such as double pine glass... which luxury grade has.

having said that cars with 19 inch tyres do let in road noise in but no worse than BMW and Mercedes.

agree with his assessment on the rest of the line up .. except for the LS, NX, UX it is a waste.

Last edited by Prado; 05-16-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-17-21, 07:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I highly recommend it. I liked it a lot. It's 19 minutes and his comment about the ESF is about 5 seconds of it. He goes over the whole Lexus line and I pretty much agree with him all the way. He trashes about half of the models.
I only care about one person's opinion and it ain't his
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dklanecky1 (05-17-21), drw1926 (05-22-21), LeeSoFL (05-18-21)
Old 05-17-21, 07:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Prado
essentially he makes the point that ES sport is not a true sports car...like a BMW M sport or S line

my own experience is that I partially tend to agree with him I love the f sport looks and every thing about it but they could make quieter such as double pine glass... which luxury grade has.

having said that cars with 19 inch tyres do let in road noise in but no worse than BMW and Mercedes.

agree with his assessment on the rest of the line up .. except for the LS, NX, UX it is a waste.
Who thinks it's a sports car? Really anything but.
Old 05-17-21, 07:38 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

OK, thanks. I agree with this sentiment and actually said so on this discussion board about a year ago. It got some noses bent out of shape. The sedan is a dying breed. Lexus added the F to attract younger buyers, which it definitely did. Still seems somewhat incongruous to me, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

The UX and NX don't deserve the Lexus badge, IMO. They're essentially Toyota, not Lexus.
Old 05-17-21, 10:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

OK, thanks. I agree with this sentiment and actually said so on this discussion board about a year ago. The UX and NX don't deserve the Lexus badge, IMO. They're essentially Toyota, not Lexus.
I liked our NX a lot, but it felt like Lexus was being very careful to ensure it didn't compete with RX sales by making it too nice. I'm not just talking about options (no HUD in US for example, or ML, Pano sunroof, Pano view monitor) but also pointing out the road noise and bouncy ride quality. Some of these options eventually came to later model years, but they still did nothing to quiet the interior sound levels or smooth out the ride. We are very happy to be back in an RX. Bottom line, I have to agree with your assessment - the NX is a nice vehicle but felt/sounded more like a Toyota Rav4 - which are just as nice but at a lower price. When we were recently shopping for a replacement for our NX, we drove the current generation Rav4. This Rav4 is actually a nicer vehicle than the NX, even though the previous Rav was the basis for the NX. It is both quieter and smoother riding, and it had options not even available on an NX.

Ironically, we recently had a UX loaner for a few days due to a missing bolt during installation of running boards on our new RX. We did not like the UX at all. Even the interior materials were not up to a "Lexus" label. The door panels were a single solid piece of plastic with no trim or anything to break it up. I honestly don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I think our last Prius may have had a nicer interior. The car would be OK for a certain market/need, but the price needs to be at least 15K less expensive. For the difference in price, I would just buy the Toyota C-HR.
Old 05-17-21, 07:22 PM
Prado
Driver

Most non car people don’t know
Old 05-22-21, 12:57 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

essentially he makes the point that ES sport is not a true sports car...like a BMW M sport or S line.

Since the ES350 is a Sedan AND has a back seat it's not a True Sports car anyway regardless of performance!