ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

New ES350 from dealer - paint damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21 | 06:04 AM
DrBalance
Driver School Candidate

Default New ES350 from dealer - paint damage

Hi all,

I just ordered a brand new ES350 F Sport (black on black). During their new car prep they noticed bird dropping damage to the clear coat. They offered to repaint the car and give $1000 discount. I told them to either find another one or refund my deposit. Sales lady then said there are no other black cars and the car is now going to the body shop for an attempt to get repaired without repainting.

Am I wrong to say that I don’t want the car even if it can be repaired without repainting by the body shop. I worry about them being very aggressive on the clear coat just to get the car out the door, which wouldn’t show up for a while. Can I get some opinions and thoughts on this please?

The car sat on their lot uncovered because it was previously sold and they pdi’d it before the previous buyer cancelled/couldn’t get approved. When I saw it, it was pretty covered in bird droppings. I don’t know how long it sat there. It was not driven (11km on the OD).

Thank you for any advice on this, peeps!

Old 05-16-21 | 06:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Would be a NO SALE for me... Bird poop + sun = severe paint damage...
Old 05-16-21 | 09:15 AM
acotugno
Driver

I would not buy that car. You absolutely do not want a new car that has been repainted in any way and if they do manage to get that damage out, guaranteed you are going to have swirl marks galore. Or they may say they repaired without painting and they did in fact repaint so inspect real carefully if you agree to buy if they "polished out".

Another black on black will be available somewhere. You may need to do some digging on your own or have to travel to another dealership that may not be that close. Warranty is good at any Lexus dealership.

Old 05-16-21 | 10:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acotugno
I would not buy that car. You absolutely do not want a new car that has been repainted in any way and if they do manage to get that damage out, guaranteed you are going to have swirl marks galore. Or they may say they repaired without painting and they did in fact repaint so inspect real carefully if you agree to buy if they "polished out".

Another black on black will be available somewhere. You may need to do some digging on your own or have to travel to another dealership that may not be that close. Warranty is good at any Lexus dealership.
+1...
Old 05-16-21 | 11:59 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Anything they do will not be good enough for me. Removing flaws from a brand new paint job will end up showing over time. Especially black. I would rather have a small dent repaired by the paintless dent repair shop than a paint correction.

I would allow them to correct it if they offered $3,000 though.
Old 05-16-21 | 12:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

While I agree with the others, and I likely would not consider buying the car in question, what is sad is that, for any of those who have been buying new cars for 30 or 40 or more years, it is likely that they have already bought one or more cars that have had repair work done on them as a result of either transport damage or damage done on the dealer's lot, and, if the work was done well, the people who bought those cars likely never became aware of the fact that repair work was done on them.
Old 05-16-21 | 04:25 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by lesz
While I agree with the others, and I likely would not consider buying the car in question, what is sad is that, for any of those who have been buying new cars for 30 or 40 or more years, it is likely that they have already bought one or more cars that have had repair work done on them as a result of either transport damage or damage done on the dealer's lot, and, if the work was done well, the people who bought those cars likely never became aware of the fact that repair work was done on them.
So true. I bought a 1991 Accord EX with 6 miles on it. As a young G.I. I saved for a long time and bought it for my wife shortly after my son was born. Black with beige leather (aftermarket kit) and loaded. Babied that car for many years. Noticed the hood paint starting to crows feet. Took it to the Honda dealership where I bought it and the body shop foreman said that it was not factory paint. Turns out it was damaged and repaired "in transit". Hated the car after that but still got 175,000 miles out of it and sold it running great.

Lesson learned. I would still take the ES 350 if they knocked off 3k
Old 05-17-21 | 08:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

2016 IS200t: deep scratch in sunroof glass. If I had to guess, possibly from loading/unloading from the transport truck. It looks as if someone dropped a tool or chain on the glass. Something sharp and metallic.
2021 ES300h: dashboard discoloration/scuff (ES dashboard is extremely prone to scuffing) and etched driver and passenger glass (like hard water streaking though x100--used rubbing compound and rotary buffer to polish out--even then it took a LOT of physical power/muscle to polish the glass perfectly)

I didn't notice the above before taking delivery of both cars. I just assumed, hey it's Lexus, it's top notch quality, it's luxury. Never assume... always check.
Old 05-17-21 | 09:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
2016 IS200t: deep scratch in sunroof glass. If I had to guess, possibly from loading/unloading from the transport truck. It looks as if someone dropped a tool or chain on the glass. Something sharp and metallic.
2021 ES300h: dashboard discoloration/scuff (ES dashboard is extremely prone to scuffing) and etched driver and passenger glass (like hard water streaking though x100--used rubbing compound and rotary buffer to polish out--even then it took a LOT of physical power/muscle to polish the glass perfectly)

I didn't notice the above before taking delivery of both cars. I just assumed, hey it's Lexus, it's top notch quality, it's luxury. Never assume... always check.
The dash scuffs are awful and tough to avoid. I use Adam's Interior to mask them but it's not perfect once they're there.
Old 05-17-21 | 10:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to know it's not just me. I was literally gently cleaning my dash with a microfiber towel and just the mere presence of my fingers on the otherside of the towel rubbed into the dash at the wrong angle as i was wiping it and it "scratched" the dash through the towel (and i was being gentle too) and now the marks do not go away. they appear white

i used 1Z Eiznett interior cleaner and it too cannot remove most of it. it barely fades it away. my next step may to take a steamer to it.. but i'm afraid to learn what steam might do to it.
Old 05-17-21 | 11:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Glad to know it's not just me. I was literally gently cleaning my dash with a microfiber towel and just the mere presence of my fingers on the otherside of the towel rubbed into the dash at the wrong angle as i was wiping it and it "scratched" the dash through the towel (and i was being gentle too) and now the marks do not go away. they appear white

i used 1Z Eiznett interior cleaner and it too cannot remove most of it. it barely fades it away. my next step may to take a steamer to it.. but i'm afraid to learn what steam might do to it.
Yeah that material is super sensitive. Not nearly as bad on my wife's RX. You would think it would be similar material but perhaps not the case.
Old 05-17-21 | 12:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I too have the scuffs on my 2019 UL. It wasn't this way on the 2013. Had it 6 years with NO scuffs... None on the boss's $30,000. Honda either...
Now on the 2019 they're permanent.
Old 05-17-21 | 09:24 PM
DrBalance
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the advice. They had an Atomic Silver on the lot that I completely fell in love with so I’ve asked them to give me that. I actually very very much prefer it to the black. I never even considered this color before. Sometimes things happen for a reason, I guess. I can’t wait to get it!
Old 05-18-21 | 01:39 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrBalance
Thanks everyone for the advice. They had an Atomic Silver on the lot that I completely fell in love with so I’ve asked them to give me that. I actually very very much prefer it to the black. I never even considered this color before. Sometimes things happen for a reason, I guess. I can’t wait to get it!
My 2016 base is atomic silver. Went to the lot to drive a white one and bought it after looking at it in the sun. Amazing color. Too bad it is being discontinued in 2022.

If you want to see it really pop, use a cleaner wax (not a compound) or clay bar. Then do a final wax with your choice of high end wax (mine is Zaino).
You would not believe the crap that a new car paint can accumulate from shipment / storage.

Congratulations!
Old 05-18-21 | 04:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrBalance
GOOD LUCK with the new wheels and a good decision. Atomic Silver is a good choice... I also have one...