ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Low tire pressure lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 10:11 PM
Goldmasher
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low tire pressure lights

The low tire pressure light comes on almost every time I start the car. I know if it is cold it will come on but it isn’t that cold out. Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to take the car to the dealership to have them adjust.

Thank you.
Old 05-23-21, 11:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldmasher
The low tire pressure light comes on almost every time I start the car. I know if it is cold it will come on but it isn’t that cold out. Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to take the car to the dealership to have them adjust.

Thank you.
What's your tire pressure and does the light go out after driving? If so, pump up to 35 or so cold then initialize the TPMS and you should be fine.
Old 05-23-21, 01:09 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldmasher
Have you read the "When the tire pressure warning light comes on" section procedures in the Owner's manual?

While the starting page will be slightly different for the 300h model, from the 2019 Lexus ES350 Owner's Manual starting on page 355:

Inspect the tires to check if a tire is punctured.

If a tire is punctured: →P.362

If none of the tires are punctured:
Turn the engine switch off then turn it to IGNITION ON mode. Check if the tire pressure warning light comes on or blinks.

▶If the tire pressure warning light blinks for approximately 1 minute then stays on

There may be a malfunction in the tire pressure warning system. Have the vehicle inspected by your Lexus dealer immediately.

▶If the tire pressure warning light comes on
  1. 1 After the temperature of the tires has lowered sufficiently, check the inflation pressure of each tire and adjust them to the specified level.
  2. 2 If the warning light does not turn off even after several minutes have elapsed, check that the inflation pressure of each tire is at the specified level and perform initialization. (→P.321)
The tire pressure warning light may come on due to natural causes

The tire pressure warning light may come on due to natural causes such as natural air leaks and tire inflation pressure changes caused by temperature. In this case, adjust- ing the tire inflation pressure will turn off the warning light (after a few minutes).
Since it is "almost every time", the "Situations in which the tire pressure warning system may not operate properly" section (on page 319 in the 2019 ES 350 version) has a list of factors which could result in a "sometimes works correctly, most times it doesn't" situation. While it isn't likely one or more of those are factor in your situation, being knowledgeable of them will help in discussing the problem with your dealer if you end up taking in into the dealership. You might also try to sort out if there is/are any common factor(s) the few times where the TPMS does work correctly. Location (at home, away from home, etc.), time of day, length of time car turned off.

Also, the Lexus TPMS system operates on the 433 MHz frequency. That's the same frequency some smart home/ home automation, remote control and similar type gadgets can operate on and thus cause interference issues with the TPMS. Even saw there's a HomeLink compatible remote garage door opener that operates at that frequency - I don't think this isn't very common but it exists so it can't be completely ruled out as a potential source of a frequency interference issue.
Old 05-24-21, 09:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I keep a plug in pump w/ digital gauge in my trunk in case of emergencies (for myself or others) or simply when my tires get low as they naturally do. No more gas station trips and dirty tokens for me.

In fact I'll probably do a "what I keep in my ES trunk" thread lol.

But yeah your pressures are lowest when its cold and will raise as you drive. so you're probably on the edge there in terms of what the car thinks is acceptable.
Old 05-24-21, 10:29 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I keep a plug in pump w/ digital gauge in my trunk in case of emergencies (for myself or others) or simply when my tires get low as they naturally do. No more gas station trips and dirty tokens for me.
Totally agree - this one was on Amazon and works very well. I like to keep the tires a bit higher than recommended, and it was a pain to go to a gas station to add a couple of lbs to one or two tires. I had to check whether there was a 12v outlet in the car, turns out there are two.

Old 05-24-21, 10:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Yep mines similar to that. I used the one as recommended by Project Farm. I'm guessing they're similar. Very handy and they fill the tires faster than i expected. I thought I'd be waiting forever. Just sucks that you have to plug it into the car and they don't make one w/ an AC plug. I hate taxing the car's electrical system (especially a hybrid) to fill my tires when I have an outlet in my garage. I searched and none of these pumps have AC plugs. Maybe i'll search for a AC to DC converter
Old 05-24-21, 01:48 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

$9.99 on Amazon. I have one from a Lowrance GPS (circa 2002) that works fine for garage use.

Old 05-24-21, 07:46 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
... I searched and none of these pumps have AC plugs...
Black & Decker has had a dual 12 VDC and 120 VAC model out for quite a few years. The analog gauge model I have has been replaced with a digital version that adds 20VDC Black & Decker Lithium ion battery pack powering option to the other two -
BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator, Cordless & Corded Power BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator, Cordless & Corded Power
- ; however, that model costs quite a bit more that the air pump in LeeSoFL's post.

I can't attest to the quality of the new model but the older model did the job of inflating auto tires back up to recommended pressure. It sure eliminates the frustration and aggravation of dealing with expensive gas station air that now-a-days seems to be a crap shoot of whether or not it'll even do the job.