ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Weird pickle: Getting rid of my 21 ES for... a 21 ES.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 05:14 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Buying is always cheaper than renting/leasing. I've never had a car payment.

Same situation here. I always pay cash and keep them for a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESh:
landonm86 (03-20-22), mickbrown (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 05:37 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Same situation here. I always pay cash and keep them for a long time.
What’s a long time? How many years do you keep the car for?
Old 03-19-22, 05:40 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

No one ever gave me a car for free.
So then you bought them outright, is that what you are saying?
Old 03-19-22, 05:41 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glamglam
What’s a long time? How many years do you keep the car for?

I buy slightly used cars in showroom condition and keep them for 10-15 years.
Old 03-19-22, 05:45 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
So then you bought them outright, is that what you are saying?
That’s a big chunk of money to give $50,000 cash for a piece of metal. That money is gone once it’s given out all for a car.
The following users liked this post:
wmoor004 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 05:49 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

That’s a big chunk of money to give $50,000 cash for a piece of metal. That money is gone once it’s given out all for a car.
By leasing, you're paying much more than I am. Yes, $50,000 is a lot of money. But it's much less than you're paying over time.
Old 03-19-22, 05:56 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Yes, you pay 50000 and you’re done.
Over the years you will pay much more (loan, lease).
Old 03-19-22, 06:16 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Buying is always cheaper than renting/leasing.
Buying isn't always cheaper than leasing and leasing isn't ALWAYS going to be cheaper than buying. Maybe for YOU because you paid for a car outright. Most people can't do that. I have had Single pay leases and regular term leases that I paid considerably less than $50, if that, in rent/interest for the entire term. In that same time a few oil changes and maybe a set of tires and you've already paid more overall than I have because my maintenance was included... In fact you paid more! So your blanket statement might wanna be tweaked a bit.

No one ever gave me a car for free.
I've never had a car payment.
So then you did make at least 1 car payment, right?

Probably the only time we are in agreement! 😉

By leasing, you're paying much more than I am. Yes, $50,000 is a lot of money. But it's much less than you're paying over time.
Nope! Not even close. That is an antiquated school of thought.
Old 03-19-22, 06:41 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by ESh
Yes, you pay 50000 and you’re done.
Over the years you will pay much more (loan, lease).
Not always and I could cite plenty of reasons against plunking down $50k for a car at once. But that works for you. Great! It's like saying that I paid all cash for my home and you did it over 30 years. Who do you think is going to pay more overall? Yes the statement might technically be true but come on, how many people can do that?

Originally Posted by ESh
It is still still unclear to me why people lease those cars.
Remember making this statement? I could say I don't understand why anyone would plunk down $50k at once for a car. There is always going to be valid arguments for both leasing and buying, or in your case, outright buying.
Old 03-19-22, 08:36 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Buying isn't always cheaper than leasing and leasing isn't ALWAYS going to be cheaper than buying. Maybe for YOU because you paid for a car outright. Most people can't do that. I have had Single pay leases and regular term leases that I paid considerably less than $50, if that, in rent/interest for the entire term. In that same time a few oil changes and maybe a set of tires and you've already paid more overall than I have because my maintenance was included... In fact you paid more! So your blanket statement might wanna be tweaked a bit.
It's a zero sum game. If you made a profit vs buying, then the leasing company lost money. In fact, it's a less-than-zero sum game. If you made a profit, then the leasing company had a loss exceeding their overhead cost! I doubt that happened, but if you think so, I won't try to disabuse you of your delusion.

That is an antiquated school of thought.
Yes, it's a very antiquated school of thought. It's called arithmetic.
hammerme (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 08:48 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Not always and I could cite plenty of reasons against plunking down $50k for a car at once.

Simple. Because over 5 years you will pay at least 6000 more for the same car.
Old 03-19-22, 09:52 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Simple. Because over 5 years you will pay at least 6000 more for the same car.
As long as this thread is so far off topic already, I will just add some thoughts I have on the new topic...

While I generally agree with paying cash up front, for us it is more because my wife and I hate having debt over our heads. The reality today with the low interest rates is that we may come out ahead by wisely investing that 50K. If interest rates were higher, the ability to locate an investment vehicle that exceeds the loan servicing costs would be more difficult. Now finding a "safe" investment that exceeds the finance costs over a five year loan is certainly a gamble - even today.
Old 03-19-22, 10:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
As long as this thread is so far off topic already, I will just add some thoughts I have on the new topic...

While I generally agree with paying cash up front, for us it is more because my wife and I hate having debt over our heads. The reality today with the low interest rates is that we may come out ahead by wisely investing that 50K. If interest rates were higher, the ability to locate an investment vehicle that exceeds the loan servicing costs would be more difficult. Now finding a "safe" investment that exceeds the finance costs over a five year loan is certainly a gamble - even today.
The S&P 500 has returned an avg annual return of over 15% last five years. If your finance costs exceed that, you have really signed up for a horrible deal. I never lease but I'll gladly use the banks money at 1% or 2% or so and leave my assets in equities earning well more than that.
dklanecky1 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 01:30 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

It's a zero sum game. If you made a profit vs buying, then the leasing company lost money. In fact, it's a less-than-zero sum game. If you made a profit, then the leasing company had a loss exceeding their overhead cost! I doubt that happened, but if you think so, I won't try to disabuse you of your delusion.

Yes, it's a very antiquated school of thought. It's called arithmetic.
If you are going to waste my time reading your response , at least have the courtesy of staying on topic rather than providing an answer that has no relevance to the topic. I have no idea how you rationalized a zero sum game scenario out of my post? It’s about disproving your arrogant blanket statement that buying is always better than leasing. So thanks for the economics theory lesson but I’ve got to get back to basking in my delusion!

And….

Since we are on the topic of handing out free unsolicited lessons, I would further encourage you to try again with a relevant, actual answer but, and here’s the lesson, Don’t feed the trolls! Doing so takes away time that could be better spent doing arithmetic and soaking in some more delusion!

!
Old 03-19-22, 01:57 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

If you are going to waste my time reading your response , at least have the courtesy of staying on topic rather than providing an answer that has no relevance to the topic. I have no idea how you rationalized a zero sum game scenario out of my post? It’s about disproving your arrogant blanket statement that buying is always better than leasing. So thanks for the economics theory lesson but I’ve got to get back to basking in my delusion!

And….

Since we are on the topic of handing out free unsolicited lessons, I would further encourage you to try again with a relevant, actual answer but, and here’s the lesson, Don’t feed the trolls! Doing so takes away time that could be better spent doing arithmetic and soaking in some more delusion!

!
WTF are you talking about? My post couldn't have been more on topic.

Apparently my post went right over your head. The zero sum game is between you and the leasing company. If you win, they lose. If they win, you lose. You insist you are winning at the leasing game. If that's true, by definition, the leasing company is losing money. I think you're kidding yourself.

Quick Reply: Weird pickle: Getting rid of my 21 ES for... a 21 ES.