ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 12:32 PM
emdcksn
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Fluid

I have a 2019 ES300h and it’s time to flush the brake fluid. I looked at the cap and it says either DOT3 or DOT4. Does anyone have an idea on which one the car came with? It was built in Japan according to the VIN.

For those who are wondering why I am flushing it already, it has 35k miles already. I bought it 10/2019 and commute 100 miles to work everyday.

Thanks

Last edited by emdcksn; 07-07-21 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,207 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Are you using software to open up the passages in the ABS/VSC actuator as required for a proper bleed. (most cars of most brands are like this nowadays) gone are the day when you can two-man bleed or gravity bleed. this is one service i'd take it to the dealer for unfortunately (unless i buy a laptop and put techstream on it.)

i dont think carista has this option.

Also I'm pretty heavy on maintenance myself but 35k and two years is kind of soon. especially on a hybrid. i buy toyota hybrids for the sole reason of not having to touch them as much as my earlier cars which were BMW/M cars.

most people bang on their priuses 200k or even up to 600k without even thinking about the brakes once. i'd have to think about it some more but off the top of my head i wouldn't worry about this unless i was at 6 years or 100k miles.
Old 07-08-21, 09:08 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

I have never seen a brake fluid that needed to be changed at 30k. I understand wanting to keep the maintenance schedule due to warranty though.
The following users liked this post:
emdcksn (07-31-21)
Old 07-08-21, 10:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,827 Posts

This is one of those "maintenance" items I almost never bother with and never been an issue. But I typically don't keep cars much beyond 100K miles.
Old 07-08-21, 10:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,207 Likes on 1,654 Posts

in theory the brake fluid will absorb moisture and rot the system from the inside out. in reality, this almost never happens. the worst that usually happens is that there's air in the lines which decreases brake feel. that would be my primary reason for doing the fluid change.
Old 07-09-21, 07:41 PM
mariog7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake fluid is one of the only item that goes by time frequency, not mileage
Old 07-31-21, 03:53 PM
emdcksn
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
Are you using software to open up the passages in the ABS/VSC actuator as required for a proper bleed. (most cars of most brands are like this nowadays) gone are the day when you can two-man bleed or gravity bleed. this is one service i'd take it to the dealer for unfortunately (unless i buy a laptop and put techstream on it.)

i dont think carista has this option.

Also I'm pretty heavy on maintenance myself but 35k and two years is kind of soon. especially on a hybrid. i buy toyota hybrids for the sole reason of not having to touch them as much as my earlier cars which were BMW/M cars.

most people bang on their priuses 200k or even up to 600k without even thinking about the brakes once. i'd have to think about it some more but off the top of my head i wouldn't worry about this unless i was at 6 years or 100k miles.
Sorry it’s taken so long to reply, Vacation and work got in the way. According to TIS, you can flush the fluid by using TechStream or not using TechStream (no software required). Not using software requires you to enter ECB (Electronically Controlled Brake system) Invalid Mode. There’s several things you can’t do while performing the following procedure like don’t rotate a disc while in invalid mode. All of this is easy to find and print off with a TIS account. It costs $20 for 48hrs of access. I made good use of it seeing how I also have an ‘18 Tundra.

(1) You must perform the procedure within one minute.

1. Turn power switch on IG with the shift lever in P and parking brake applied.
2. Move shift lever to N and depress brake pedal more than 8 times within 5 sec.
3. Move shift lever to P and depress brake pedal more than 8 times within 5 sec.
4. Move shift lever to N and depress brake pedal more than 8 times within 5 sec.
5. Move shift lever to P.

(2) Check that the brake warning light is blinking (yellow).

Fill reservoir with fluid between MAX and MIN and replace the fluid in the system. Start with front RH then front LH then rear LH then rear RH. When done with the rear RH turn the power switch off and top off the reservoir.

It says a bit more than that in TIS, but that is the meat and potatoes of it. It was current as of 06/23/20 when I printed it off of TIS. Hopefully that helps somebody who doesn’t want to mess with software and connecting a Laptop to their car. As far as time and miles for the flush go, I am considering doing it solely for warranty reasons.

Last edited by emdcksn; 07-31-21 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-31-21, 04:06 PM
emdcksn
Rookie

Originally Posted by mariog7
Brake fluid is one of the only item that goes by time frequency, not mileage
The Warranty and Services Guide states to do it at 36 months or 30k miles. Granted, I am only at 20 months but have over 35k miles on the car.
Old 07-31-21, 04:11 PM
emdcksn
Rookie

As to the original question though, does anyone know if the ES300h ships with DOT3 or DOT4?
Old 08-08-21, 01:33 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by emdcksn
As to the original question though, does anyone know if the ES300h ships with DOT3 or DOT4?
just bring it to the dealer when u do oil change or something, it cost $100 I think it’s worth it. Then you can ask what they put in LOL

Oil change for $90. You probably get 10% discount as well just simply ask. Not worth all trouble remove the plastic shield underneath

the only thing I DYI now is tire rotation

if brake pad and rotors resurface for all 4-wheel is $1000 I’ll let them do it too.
Old 08-08-21, 02:42 AM
emdcksn
Rookie

Originally Posted by july1988
just bring it to the dealer when u do oil change or something, it cost $100 I think it’s worth it. Then you can ask what they put in LOL

Oil change for $90. You probably get 10% discount as well just simply ask. Not worth all trouble remove the plastic shield underneath

if brake pad and rotors resurface for all 4-wheel is $1000 I’ll let them do it too.
The shield is held on by only 4 bolts and takes less than 2 minutes to remove. No trouble at all.

Last edited by emdcksn; 08-08-21 at 02:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 07:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,827 Posts

My dealer quoted $230 for this😨😨
Old 08-08-21, 09:15 AM
emdcksn
Rookie

Yea definitely not taking it to the dealer. Like I showed in post 7, it’s not rocket science. I’ll either ask a brake shop or choose one or the other as it will get completely replaced and won’t be mixed.
Old 08-08-21, 11:19 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My dealer quoted $230 for this😨😨
I'll find the receipt, but it was 30K service which I was quoted like $500+ for oil change, tire rotation/balance, brake fluid change, air filter change (engine + cabin), windshield blade change, and road test + multi-point... I think.

I declined air filter change (engine + cabin), windshield blade change, and price came down to like $300. I think brake fluid change was around $100, def. not more than $200...

I think the OP you can just call Lexus dealer and ask what fluid your ES needs, they'll give you part number or name, and get it there, or from a Toyota dealer for same bottle but cheaper lmao. You flush it out anyway...
Old 08-08-21, 11:52 AM
emdcksn
Rookie

I'll find the receipt, but it was 30K service which I was quoted like $500+ for oil change, tire rotation/balance, brake fluid change, air filter change (engine + cabin), windshield blade change, and road test + multi-point... I think.

I declined air filter change (engine + cabin), windshield blade change, and price came down to like $300. I think brake fluid change was around $100, def. not more than $200...

I think the OP you can just call Lexus dealer and ask what fluid your ES needs, they'll give you part number or name, and get it there, or from a Toyota dealer for same bottle but cheaper lmao. You flush it out anyway...
Yes I plan on it. Using all Toyota parts including oil, an oil change only costs me $34. Other than the 10k service, I’ve done them all including oil changes every 5k. Definitely going to do the brake fluid myself. Doing it myself fun and knowing I saved a lot of money makes even better. TIS is your friend. I know DIY isn’t for everyone. Hopefully you get an honest mechanic when they do the work. As for me, I know the job will get done correctly.

Last edited by emdcksn; 08-08-21 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid