ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

7ES Wheel Weight Mini Project - Tire and Wheel Weights - who can help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 01:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Come to think about it Machined SC430 wheels would be the same fit so they should it as well and would look supreme.. hmmmmm
Old 03-18-22, 01:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EV02is
Not sure of weight for the LS wheels however noticeably lighter.

I attribute the smoothness from tire size 17’s and sidewall (55) and they are Michelin primacys mxm4
17s would definitely do it.. they look good. classy. no fitment issues? didn't need spacers?
Old 03-23-22, 03:17 PM
EV02is
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
17s would definitely do it.. they look good. classy. no fitment issues? didn't need spacers?
no fitment issues, no spacers needed, hub matches. I will however swap back to my noise reduction wheels. I just wanted to confirm it was the tires causing much of the noise and harshness.
Old 03-24-22, 08:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think too a lot of times we get too used to our cars and take them for granted. When I had my CT200H F Sport, I felt it rode harsh and rode rough. Got in an accident and it went to the body shop for 2-3 months. During that time I rented Nissans, Toyotas, Hyundais. Drove them daily.

When I got back into the CT after the body shop was finished, I was blown away at how smooth, refined, quiet and polished it felt. Like it really sets perspective when you drive something else daily then suddenly jump back in your car (whether good or bad)
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (03-24-22)
Old 03-25-22, 05:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

I think too a lot of times we get too used to our cars and take them for granted. When I had my CT200H F Sport, I felt it rode harsh and rode rough. Got in an accident and it went to the body shop for 2-3 months. During that time I rented Nissans, Toyotas, Hyundais. Drove them daily.

When I got back into the CT after the body shop was finished, I was blown away at how smooth, refined, quiet and polished it felt. Like it really sets perspective when you drive something else daily then suddenly jump back in your car (whether good or bad)
Many Hyundai's drive pretty smoothly as well. But definitely when I rent crappy cars, it's nice to get back into my ES or my wife's RX. A few months ago, we rented a Ford upside down lunch box (I think it was a three cyl) and drove that many miles through AZ for a week. UUUUgggghhhhh
Old 03-25-22, 07:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The base level cars (Toyota Hyundai Honda Nissan etc) typically don't have the NVH apparatus/packaging premium branded cars (especially Lexus) do. Trust me I get the whole "Hyundais are actually great cars now" or "Hyundais came a long way" as I was one of the first and earliest cheerleaders years ago lol. But yeah the CT200h was just really smooth feeling after driving several base branded (Toyota Hyundai Honda Nissan etc) rental cars. I switched out a lot cause they had odors, or were dirty or broken. All new cars too. =/ I was surprised because while I liked the CT, I was also a harsh critic for calling it kinda cheap etc. But it is 400 lbs heavier than a Prius so likely a lot of that is the NVH packaging Lexus stuffs into its cars. It's tweaked different tan the Prius for resonance characteristics too.
Old 03-25-22, 08:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

We had this Ford Ecosport in Arizona. Drove a bit different than the ES.

Old 03-25-22, 08:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

They offered me that at Enterprise since during covid there were no rentals... I'm like what's an Ecosport? Ladies like oh it's nice! We'll pull it around front so you can look at it. I see it come around the corner and I'm like yeah i'm ok... LOL. i took a smelly nissan instead.
Old 07-12-22, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Since we have more 22 owners, bump. Still curious how light the 17" setup is.
Lexusfreak (07-12-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:29 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

...It would be interesting to know the weights for many reasons, but particularly to see how fuel economy and performance might be affected with different wheel options...
Sorry, but I'm still unsure of how you will determine this. For instance, if a 2022 owner says their wheels/tires are a few pounds lighter than yours, where do you go from there? Any mileage difference could be attributed to other variables, and any performance differences would be subjective.

I minus sized my heavy, chrome SC430 g-spider wheels from 18's to 17's, and went with a lightweight racing wheel to save about 5 lbs per corner. I notice a slight improvement in mileage, but, a bigger improvement in performance (acceleration and braking). However, my main objective was to get a smoother ride, and I did, in spades!

While my SC is a completely different animal, I'm in the market for a new ES for my wife, so I'm scrutinizing the wheel/tire packages as well. I see myself going with light weight wheels on all my sedans and coups in the future. It probably doesn't make much of a difference in a trucks or SUV's.
BBQapple (04-04-23)
Old 07-12-22, 01:43 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We had this Ford Ecosport in Arizona. Drove a bit different than the ES.

That looks like a Ford Escape did the 100 yard dash in a 90 yard gym....and back again lol.
Old 07-13-22, 07:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Sorry, but I'm still unsure of how you will determine this. For instance, if a 2022 owner says their wheels/tires are a few pounds lighter than yours, where do you go from there? Any mileage difference could be attributed to other variables, and any performance differences would be subjective.

I minus sized my heavy, chrome SC430 g-spider wheels from 18's to 17's, and went with a lightweight racing wheel to save about 5 lbs per corner. I notice a slight improvement in mileage, but, a bigger improvement in performance (acceleration and braking). However, my main objective was to get a smoother ride, and I did, in spades!

While my SC is a completely different animal, I'm in the market for a new ES for my wife, so I'm scrutinizing the wheel/tire packages as well. I see myself going with light weight wheels on all my sedans and coups in the future. It probably doesn't make much of a difference in a trucks or SUV's.
There's no going anywhere. It's just curiosity and for fun. This has already been addressed.
Old 07-13-22, 07:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
That looks like a Ford Escape did the 100 yard dash in a 90 yard gym....and back again lol.
The official car of "Sorry sir, all our rentals are taken, but we do have one of these for you. Would you be interested?"
Old 04-04-23, 07:25 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000

Removing unsprung weight, especially rotating mass, is one of the best all around performance modifications. On the new IS redesign in 2021 they redid the wheel hubs lugs just to drop a few pounds, along with other suspension component lightening.

I had an LS430 years ago which came with 16s and I upgraded to the factory 18 inch wheels which were beautiful. And I almost cried when I drove away from the tire shop because my car was shockingly more slow, as if I’d went from 300hp down to 250. And the additional weight also makes the ride worse in itself, it’s not just the shorter sidewalls on big wheels.

The current hybrid Camry gets around 5 MPG better with 16s than with 18s. And likely is quicker and lighter on its feet over bumps and in transitions.

I have an ES300h with 18s which look great, but I keep considering doing a minus 1 to forged 17 inch wheels. The wheels alone are more than ten pounds lighter on each corner with some of the lighter mid level options still under $400 each.
Old 04-05-23, 11:43 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

I went with an Enkei 17x7" PF01 @ 15.8lbs and Vredstein Hi-Trak @ 21lbs. = ~37lbs
Previously 18" noise reduction wheels @ 31 lbs. and Michelin Energy Saver @ 25lbs = ~56lbs.

Nearly 20lbs. per corner.

I liked the look of the noise reduction wheels. I think the PF01's are a downgrade in aesthetics. But the impact from road imperfections is significant. The suspension dealing with 20lbs. less weight when hitting bumps is nice.

I got better mileage with previous vehicles that I put light weight wheels on. None of those were hybrids however. I'm expecting the difference to be less significant because wheel weight would be advantageous when braking as part of the battery regeneration. So far it's been so snowy that I haven't had a good test run to gauge if these will be any better in that category. But they're definitely better in terms of ride quality.

Sorry, photos aren't really apples to apples. Different angles. The first is actually a shot I took when I was selling the other wheels.

BBQapple (04-05-23)

Quick Reply: 7ES Wheel Weight Mini Project - Tire and Wheel Weights - who can help?