The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (08-31-21)
Old 09-01-21, 02:56 AM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexViewer
Hello,

I just bought my first car, which is a 2021 Lexus ES 350. It's a base model but with all the bells and whistles (Premium Package, upgraded 18" tires, power trunk, parking package, wood trim, etc.). I've broken in about 3,700 miles onto it so far and on many Texas roads, it's quite a lot of road noise. PSI is at 37psi one tire and the other 3 tires are at 36 psi. It's definitely not a quiet ride. Especially on the highway, there's so much noise! My last car was a Honda Accord 2015 and the Lexus isn't that much better. On the baby smooth roads, yes, it's quiet and comfortable but every car is great on these roads. I've checked the panels and everything seems to be in line.

I purchased a $48,000 Lexus because of the quietness and smoothness. Mercedes and BMW 5 series seems to be smoother at the same price point.

Anyone also experience not a smooth or quiet ride quality you'd expect from a Lexus and done something about it? Maybe tires? Panels? Window seals?

Also anyone broken in 60k+ miles on their 7th gen ES? How is the ride after persistent use? Does it still drive like new?

i have a full spec ES F sport (Japan made) and yes it suffers from "loud" road noise.

the quiet version of lexus is the luxury version with those noise reduction tyres and double pine glass so yes this is an issue with some versions of the ES

Old 09-01-21, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Double paned glass isn't going to help you with road noise. It helps with wind noise and isolation from sounds from other cars etc.

"Road noise" is an issue for all Lexus vehicles to some degree, its one area where they don't excel at sound damping. My S Class for instance is a good bit more isolated from the road specifically than my LS460L was, although the LS was very comparable in wind noise and outside isolation. As you get cheaper down the line the issue becomes bigger. Thats why tires on a Lexus are so important to how they ride.
Old 09-01-21, 09:40 AM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SW17LS...I agree with your comments and I check the tire pressure frequently, especially before, during and after long trips.
Others will do what they do........just remember, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken feathers
SW17LS (09-01-21)
Old 09-01-21, 10:21 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Double paned glass isn't going to help you with road noise. It helps with wind noise and isolation from sounds from other cars etc.

"Road noise" is an issue for all Lexus vehicles to some degree, its one area where they don't excel at sound damping. My S Class for instance is a good bit more isolated from the road specifically than my LS460L was, although the LS was very comparable in wind noise and outside isolation. As you get cheaper down the line the issue becomes bigger. Thats why tires on a Lexus are so important to how they ride.

double paned glass does reduce over all noise. in any case would changing my current 19 inch to 18 inch noise reducing rims help?.. also my tyres are nosy Dunlops. I have only clocked 6K KM (3.5k miles) on my car
Old 09-02-21, 04:35 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Slight road and tire noise on my 2019 350 ES UL with original Michelin Tires. Not horrible just more than I expected coming from a 2010 350ES. What is the current leader of all car brands for quiet and smooth ride?
Old 09-02-21, 05:53 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 941 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
Slight road and tire noise on my 2019 350 ES UL with original Michelin Tires. Not horrible just more than I expected coming from a 2010 350ES. What is the current leader of all car brands for quiet and smooth ride?
Hard to generalize across a maker without accounting for price. At its price, the 80 and 90 Genesis models are very well reviewed for quietness, although the four-cylinder G80 model has been criticized for unrefined engine noise instead. Then again, all these Genesis models except the base G80 are also considerably more expensive than the ES, which overall has been measured in its Ultra Luxury trim at only 1db louder than the Mercedes S Class.
Old 09-02-21, 05:55 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by Prado
double paned glass does reduce over all noise. in any case would changing my current 19 inch to 18 inch noise reducing rims help?.. also my tyres are nosy Dunlops. I have only clocked 6K KM (3.5k miles) on my car
Changing your current 19" rims to 18" inches would help a bit. Changing them to the optional noise-reducing 18" rims that are standard on Ultra Luxury and optional on Luxury would help some more. Changing your tires from the rock-hard gas mileage specials specified by Lexus would help, too. Tire Rack is a good source for picking tires that deliver specific traits like this.
Prado (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 06:01 AM
LexFinally
Racer

This is a bit over the top, IMO. Lexus was a pioneer in suppressing tire noise; the spongy fiberboard inner fender liners, for example, were an LS400 innovation. If you want to hear a car that doesn't suppress tire noise well, drive a Honda anything.

Yes, a $45,000 Lexus is going to have less sound suppression than a $100,000 Mercedes-Benz. It's a massaged version of a front-drive Avalon chassis. You do get what you pay for (unless you buy GM, in which case you get less).
landonm86 (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The sort of glass the car has does not reduce sound that travels through the vehicle's floor. Think about it for a minute. The issue is lack of sound absorption/deadening in the floor panels, wheel surrounds, vehicle suspension etc.

Smaller rims help with road noise, but its not going to be a huge difference. I would get a set of really well regarded quiet tires, like Pirelli P7s.
Prado (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
This is a bit over the top, IMO. Lexus was a pioneer in suppressing tire noise; the spongy fiberboard inner fender liners, for example, were an LS400 innovation. If you want to hear a car that doesn't suppress tire noise well, drive a Honda anything.

Yes, a $45,000 Lexus is going to have less sound suppression than a $100,000 Mercedes-Benz. It's a massaged version of a front-drive Avalon chassis. You do get what you pay for (unless you buy GM, in which case you get less).
Its 100% true. I have driven Lexus sedans for over 20 years, and during that time I have also compared and contrasted them with every generation of the competition. Lexus has always struggled with tire noise relative to the competition. Sure a $45,000 Lexus has more road noise than a $100,000 Mercedes, but so does a $100,000 Lexus. Thats the point. Compare the ES to a C Class Mercedes and the Benz has less tire noise. Wind noise, ambient noise is a different matter. Its not a big deal, it just means tires are really important to making a Lexus ride and drive the way it should.

And I had an LS400, and an LS430....neither had spongy fiberboard fender liners.

And modern Hondas are much better than older Hondas. My assistant has a new Accord hybrid and its just as quiet as an ES, for example. Friend of mine had a 2010 Accord which was really loud.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-02-21 at 08:07 AM.
PrimeDave (11-07-22)
Old 09-02-21, 06:08 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

...would changing my current 19 inch to 18 inch noise reducing rims help?r
Yes, and you could even reduce noise further by going to 17" wheels/tires. The taller your tire's sidewall, the less noisy they will be.
Old 09-03-21, 05:32 AM
Prado
Driver

The sort of glass the car has does not reduce sound that travels through the vehicle's floor. Think about it for a minute. The issue is lack of sound absorption/deadening in the floor panels, wheel surrounds, vehicle suspension etc.

Smaller rims help with road noise, but its not going to be a huge difference. I would get a set of really well regarded quiet tires, like Pirelli P7s.

good advice,

the 18 inch sound reducing rims cost around $3K here in Dubai, dont hate road noise that much.... i am going to skip that and just go with Pirelli or something similar
Old 09-03-21, 05:34 AM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Yes, and you could even reduce noise further by going to 17" wheels/tires. The taller your tire's sidewall, the less noisy they will be.

17 inch will ruin the look of the car...
Old 09-03-21, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't think the "noise reducing wheels" make much difference. i would just get a good set of tires.
radiologym (09-21-21)

Quick Reply: Issue with Ride Quality and Sound