Issue with Ride Quality and Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 07:12 PM
Wihunge
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ES Ultra Luxury

ES Ultra Luxury
There is a lot of posts on tire noise here. I would like to get the quietest tire I can next time I need them. One thing to consider here is that the es ultra luxury is equipped with lateral dampers which are designed to take some of the vibration out while on the road. The other trims don’t have them. This was one of the main reasons I bought the Ul. The car rides extremely quite in my experience.
Old 09-18-21, 08:26 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 941 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Wihunge
ES Ultra Luxury
There is a lot of posts on tire noise here. I would like to get the quietest tire I can next time I need them. One thing to consider here is that the es ultra luxury is equipped with lateral dampers which are designed to take some of the vibration out while on the road. The other trims don’t have them. This was one of the main reasons I bought the Ul. The car rides extremely quite in my experience.
And of course, speaking directly to tire noise, I'll repeat the earlier post that the Ultra Luxury also comes standard with the noise reducing wheels that are only optional on other trims.

Do note, though, that the OEM tires specified for all ES versions aren't necessarily optimized for any one purpose. Tire engineering is a compromise, and the OEM tires on this car are generally designed for high gas mileage on the EPA test, then for durability and quietness, and not really at all for traction. Yes, you can get a quieter tire, provided that you're willing to sacrifice in some other areas of performance.
Old 01-25-22, 03:31 PM
ScottH
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No…

Originally Posted by E46CT
Engineers do benchmark against their competition as a normal part of vehicle development so any difference should be negligible in this day and age.

I think people are just expecting too much due to the urban myths/legends (some somewhat justified) about Lexus quietness. In the past this was true relative to other makes, but as of 5-6 years ago, everyone figured out how to be just as quiet as eachother. There's not much mystery or science or room left on the table in enhancing a vehicle further. In fact Lexus Chief Engineer for the 7ES said they actually had to purposefully louden the 7ES back up as it was too quiet. There has to be some noise baked/allowed in as too quiet can cause fatigue. In other words, it's beyond the scope of your understanding. Just leave it to the engineers. Sit back and enjoy the ride... or trade your car in for what you think is better.
my 19 ES300h sounds like a dump truck. The tires are cupped at 17k miles. OEM tires are complete garbage. Bridgestones btw. I’ve own several Buicks that are MUCH quieter than this sled
Old 01-25-22, 03:35 PM
ApexViewer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottH
my 19 ES300h sounds like a dump truck. The tires are cupped at 17k miles. OEM tires are complete garbage. Bridgestones btw. I’ve own several Buicks that are MUCH quieter than this sled
Do you recommend any quieter tires I can get at the dealership or Firestone?
Old 01-25-22, 03:44 PM
ScottH
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ApexViewer
well at $53k I would have hoped Lexus would have provided them with the car. With 17k miles I’m not about to drop $1500 on a new set. Pretty sure I’m going to trade for something else. Not at all impressed with much other than the 40 mpg
Old 01-25-22, 03:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,814 Posts

I replaced my oem Michelins with Goodyear Maxlife Assurance tires - quiet, smooth and likely long lasting. I have those on my wife's RX as well and after 20k miles, they barely show wear.
Old 01-25-22, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottH
well at $53k I would have hoped Lexus would have provided them with the car. With 17k miles I’m not about to drop $1500 on a new set. Pretty sure I’m going to trade for something else. Not at all impressed with much other than the 40 mpg
New tires for the ES won't cost $1,500.

Tires are VERY important for a Lexus. They don't do that great a job isolating the car from the road (this is true of all Lexus vehicles), so the right set of tires makes a huge difference in how quiet the car is.

I would recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II or 3
Old 01-25-22, 07:15 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
I read that in some of the early literature as well. I don't know where to find it at this point, but it was in messaging from Lexus. That doesn't necessarily mean it was true, but it suggests there might be something to the claim.
I finally came across this quote. I think it was from one of the car's chief engineers. He said something to the effect that they had to add back some noise because it was so unnaturally quiet that occupants got disoriented and nauseated.
Old 01-25-22, 07:21 PM
LexFinally
Racer

I don't recommend the tires available at Firestone (Firestones and Bridgestones), for starters.

If noise and decent all-around performance are the priority, I'd probably look first to Michelin Premier. If you care about noise to the exclusion of all other considerations, I'd consider some of the other tires mentioned in this thread.
Old 01-25-22, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I finally came across this quote. I think it was from one of the car's chief engineers. He said something to the effect that they had to add back some noise because it was so unnaturally quiet that occupants got disoriented and nauseated.
Thats basically BS lol. The ES is reasonably quiet, but there are lots of much quieter cars.
Old 01-25-22, 07:24 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats basically BS lol. The ES is reasonably quiet, but there are lots of much quieter cars.
I'm suspicious of it myself.
Old 01-25-22, 08:18 PM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
New tires for the ES won't cost $1,500.

Tires are VERY important for a Lexus. They don't do that great a job isolating the car from the road (this is true of all Lexus vehicles), so the right set of tires makes a huge difference in how quiet the car is.

I would recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II or 3

what about Michelins?.. i currently have Dunlop 19 inch and they have alot of road noise.
Old 01-26-22, 05:57 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by Prado
what about Michelins?.. i currently have Dunlop 19 inch and they have alot of road noise.
Don't lump all Michelins together. There are several very different Michelins offered for this car. My research-based amateur impressions:

•Eco: The OEM tire on ES's that come with Michelins. Fairly quiet, crappy traction especially on snow.
•Primacy: Fairly quiet, better traction by far than Eco. Best compromise Michelin choice for many.
•CrossClimate II: Makes noise, especially on grooved pavement and cruising at certain speeds (around 50?)? It's a tradeoff for superb rain and snow traction.
•Defender (if even available in these sizes): A low-performance tire, maybe not even certified for high-speed cruising, that should be pretty soft and quiet.

Anybody feel free to jump in and correct me on the particulars. But the basic point is, you can't really generalize by brand across all the maker's tires. Same comment applies to Goodyear and others.

Last edited by LexFinally; 01-28-22 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-26-22, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Prado
Michelin doesn't currently have any tires that are best in class when it comes to a soft and quiet ride.
Old 01-26-22, 09:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Don't lump all Michelins together. There are several very different Michelins offered for this car. My research-based amateur impressions:

•Eco: The OEM tire on ES's that come with Michelins. Fairly quiet, crappy traction especially on snow.
•Premier: Fairly quiet, better traction by far than Eco. Best compromise Michelin choice for many.
•CrossClimate II: Makes noise, especially on grooved pavement and cruising at certain speeds (around 50?)? It's a tradeoff for superb rain and snow traction.
•Defender (if even available in these sizes): A low-performance tire, maybe not even certified for high-speed cruising, that should be pretty soft and quiet.

Anybody feel free to jump in and correct me on the particulars. But the basic point is, you can't really generalize by brand across all the maker's tires. Same comment applies to Goodyear and others.
My wife's RX came with the Premiers oem and they did not wear well. Chalk that up to inferior oem or the product itself but in any event I did not consider them when it was time to replace.

Quick Reply: Issue with Ride Quality and Sound