ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What Just Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 12:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If I remember correctly, I think that the manual for my RAV4 Hybrid says that fob batteries for cars with the keyless fobs/push button start should last for 1 to 1 1/2 years, and fob batteries for cars without push button start should last 1 1/2 to 2 years, but the fobs for my 2013 ES (with push button start) still had their original batteries when I traded the car 3 1/2 years after I got it. I sold my 2017 ES after 4 1/2 years of ownership, and I replaced its fob battery one time about a month or two before I sold it. I owned a 2005 GX (without push button start) for 15+ years. I changed its fob batteries only 2 times during that period of ownership.
Yeah I'm clearly changing them too often but what else do I have to do on Jan1st but change four fob batteries
Old 09-01-21, 08:14 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If I remember correctly, I think that the manual for my RAV4 Hybrid says that fob batteries for cars with the keyless fobs/push button start should last for 1 to 1 1/2 years, and fob batteries for cars without push button start should last 1 1/2 to 2 years, but the fobs for my 2013 ES (with push button start) still had their original batteries when I traded the car 3 1/2 years after I got it. I sold my 2017 ES after 4 1/2 years of ownership, and I replaced its fob battery one time about a month or two before I sold it. I owned a 2005 GX (without push button start) for 15+ years. I changed its fob batteries only 2 times during that period of ownership.
I have never changed a FOB battery on any of our Toyota/Lexus cars with the push button start. I owned a Prius for 5 years, and most recently I owned an NX for just over 5 years. Never needed to replace a battery. I'm sure it depends on a combination of age and usage. While my wife and I were both working, we carpooled together so only one car was used on a typical day. I'm not trying to test the lifespan - I just don't ever think about them. I also just touch the door handle to enter or lock the car and if people are pressing the buttons to lock/unlock the car, the FOB batteries may expire more quickly.

I suspect an annual battery change is overly cautious but batteries are cheap and its better to err on the side of caution. I think one would be safe to replace batteries every two or three years of "normal" use but my problem would be remembering to do so. Replacing it every January 1st would be a good practice/habit to avoid forgetting the age of the current batteries.
Old 09-01-21, 09:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I presume the more driving you do, the more the battery gets depleted as it's connected and drawing power the entire time the car is on.
Old 09-01-21, 09:47 AM
100stars
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weak key fob battrey

It's a weak key fob battery. Common with all Toyota vehicles that have push start button
Old 09-01-21, 10:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I have never changed a FOB battery on any of our Toyota/Lexus cars with the push button start. I owned a Prius for 5 years, and most recently I owned an NX for just over 5 years. Never needed to replace a battery. I'm sure it depends on a combination of age and usage. While my wife and I were both working, we carpooled together so only one car was used on a typical day. I'm not trying to test the lifespan - I just don't ever think about them. I also just touch the door handle to enter or lock the car and if people are pressing the buttons to lock/unlock the car, the FOB batteries may expire more quickly.

I suspect an annual battery change is overly cautious but batteries are cheap and its better to err on the side of caution. I think one would be safe to replace batteries every two or three years of "normal" use but my problem would be remembering to do so. Replacing it every January 1st would be a good practice/habit to avoid forgetting the age of the current batteries.
When I replaced the fob battery for my 2017 ES after 4 1/2 years, I did receive a warning message on the multi-information display that said that the fob battery was getting weak. Otherwise everything was still working. And, even if that fob battery had died completely, the car still would have started by placing the fob near the push button start button, and the car still could have been locked and unlocked with the mechanical key. So, it is not like if a dead fob battery is going to leave you stranded.

What I've also done is to follow the procedure explained in the manual to put my second fob into "battery save mode". I'd like to think that doing so makes it likely that, if the battery in the primary fob does die, the second fob will still have enough battery power left to work for a while.
Old 09-01-21, 11:45 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

On my Mercedes I had to change the key fob battery about every 6-8 months. When I switched over the Audi it lasted a few months longer. It seems the communication between fob and German vehicles are rather chatty compare to Toyota.
Old 09-01-21, 11:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ionian
On my Mercedes I had to change the key fob battery about every 6-8 months. When I switched over the Audi it lasted a few months longer. It seems the communication between fob and German vehicles are rather chatty compare to Toyota.
My daughter's Q5 fob battery goes bad in a year or less.
Old 09-01-21, 03:55 PM
DonGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Went out to dinner last night. After dark, arrived back at friends home. Parked my 2021 350 ES in their driveway. Went in for coffee. We returned an hour or two later. Went to start the car. Nothin' happened. No crank, nothin'! Message came on directing me to hold by key fob in front of start button and then try starting engine. Started right up. What had I done wrong to cause this? Did I somehow have the headlights on manual and left them on? Car turned them off and this was the result? What the heck happened? What good did holding fob in front of start button do? It had been in my pocket where it always is when I use this car. Never any problem before.
I always carry a spare battery in it's sealed plastic container in my spare change container........................
Old 09-01-21, 05:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Went out to dinner last night. After dark, arrived back at friends home. Parked my 2021 350 ES in their driveway. Went in for coffee. We returned an hour or two later. Went to start the car. Nothin' happened. No crank, nothin'! Message came on directing me to hold by key fob in front of start button and then try starting engine. Started right up. What had I done wrong to cause this? Did I somehow have the headlights on manual and left them on? Car turned them off and this was the result? What the heck happened? What good did holding fob in front of start button do? It had been in my pocket where it always is when I use this car. Never any problem before.
you said “we” returned. Did the person you were with also have a car key with them? If so, that was likely your issue. Happens to me constantly with my wife’s Jag. Having a fresh battery helps, but some cars don’t like competing keys, especially if the passenger enters the car first.
Old 09-13-21, 03:50 PM
LexESness
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that the keyfob was 'sat on' for a while, thus activating a button for an extended amount of time and draining the battery? I'm just speculating on the battery drain part but I've had buttons inadvertently pressed in pocket before....