ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 es

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 06:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'd be willing to bet that there will be a plug-in hybrid version of the RX (and the Toyota Highlander) at some point in the next few years.

The good news about plug-in hybrids is that, as battery technology improves in the next few years, the battery capacity should increase, and weight should decrease, resulting in longer fully electric range.

The bad news about the plug-in hybrids and, specifically, the RAV4 Prime, is that, even before the current chip shortages that have affected all cars, demand has exceeded supply by a wide margin. Toyota dealers had long waiting lists to get a RAV4 Prime, and those who have been able to get them have paid as much as $10,000 over MSRP (or more). I'm confident in guessing that the situation will be similar with the NX plug-in hybrid.
It will be no thanks in that case. $ flushed down the toilet- I'll keep the bullet proof V6.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (09-16-21), dklanecky1 (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 04:01 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,156 Likes on 747 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that there will be a plug-in hybrid version of the RX (and the Toyota Highlander) at some point in the next few years.
The RX a year from now with a 2023 model is suppose to be redesigned like the NX this year. I am sure Lexus will be offering a plug-in version and if so if one can ever find one and not selling over MSRP, I will absolutely buy.
Old 09-17-21, 07:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
The RX a year from now with a 2023 model is suppose to be redesigned like the NX this year. I am sure Lexus will be offering a plug-in version and if so if one can ever find one and not selling over MSRP, I will absolutely buy.
While I fully expect that Toyota/Lexus will be offering more plug-in hybrid models, including an RX plug-in hybrid, I think that there are a few factors that will influence when that will happen.

It is my understanding that a part of the reason why the RAV4 Prime has been only been produced in relatively small numbers is related to a shortage of batteries. Until that shortage is relieved, it probably doesn't make sense for Toyota to add new plug-in hybrids beyond the RAV4 Prime and the NX plug-in hybrid.

On the other hand, once more batteries are available and once the RAV4 Prime and NX plug-in hybrid become more readily available, that should provide relief from the situation in which buyers are paying well over MSRP for those vehicles.

Also, I think that Toyota and Lexus will be more inclined to offer added plug-in hybrid models when battery technology improves to the point where batteries have higher capacity and lighter weight. Right now, plug-in hybrids are only able to provide a fully electric driving range of around 35 miles on vehicles like the RAV4 Prime and the NX plug-in hybrid. Since the RX and Highlander are somewhat bigger/heavier than the RAV4 or NX, more power is needed to move those vehicles, and I'm not sure whether it would make sense, with current battery technology, to build vehicles whose fully electric range is only 20-25 miles.

So, while I'm confident that RX and Highlander plug-in hybrids will be coming, I'm not confident in predicting that they will be coming as soon as the 2023 model year.
Old 09-17-21, 10:33 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It will be no thanks in that case. $ flushed down the toilet- I'll keep the bullet proof V6.
The V6 was one reason I preferred the RX over the Highlander when we purchased in March. While this is really a topic for another subforum, I would speculate the next RXh will include a 4 cylinder since the RX tends to follow the Highlander. I personally think it is just too much weight, but it is a similar drivetrain to the one they are putting in the new NX so I can see them tuning it for more horsepower and dropping it in the RX. Our ESh with the 4 cylinder does just fine - outside of steep grades, but it doesn't have the weight of the RX. I agree with Les however that the price premium will be driven by supply and demand and it will need some time to settle out. Perhaps by the time I am shopping again a full EV will be viable?

Last edited by TechNut; 09-17-21 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 11:17 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

It is my understanding that a part of the reason why the RAV4 Prime has been only been produced in relatively small numbers is related to a shortage of batteries. Until that shortage is relieved, it probably doesn't make sense for Toyota to add new plug-in hybrids beyond the RAV4 Prime and the NX plug-in hybrid. On the other hand, once more batteries are available and once the RAV4 Prime and NX plug-in hybrid become more readily available, that should provide relief from the situation in which buyers are paying well over MSRP for those vehicles.
The raw materials needed to make the batteries currently used in EV's, are limited in availability and even existence (Lithium for example). I don't see the EV's really becoming main stream unless/until someone figures out how to manufacture batteries without using mined materials.
The following 2 users liked this post by dklanecky1:
lesz (09-17-21), TechNut (09-18-21)
Old 09-20-21, 08:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

The raw materials to make everything today, including chips, is on short supply. Worker shortage, material shortage, supply chain breaks, everything combined. For all companies. Cars, toys, video games, phones.

EV/Plug-in/Hybrids are great technologies and I prefer them vastly to the old stuff. I'd be pretty excited if Lexus made an ES electric or similar. Like Mercedes's EQS sedan.

Electric cars are inherently better in most metrics including body strength, handling (lower center of gravity), and as a result, safety. This also means they're quieter and ride better due to how much stronger an electric car body can be vs a traditional gas car. Don't think only in terms of just the powertrain. The benefits of electrification go way beyond whether or not you visit a gas station.
The following users liked this post:
MikeP (09-20-21)
Old 03-03-22, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Glamglam please exit this thread.

As in our rules we allow no politics discussion on our forum (posts removed).
The following 5 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
DavidZ (03-03-22), dklanecky1 (03-03-22), lesz (03-03-22), LexBob2 (03-03-22), mattsrs (03-03-22)