ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Carista ord scanner

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 11:53 AM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carista ord scanner

Hi All, new here. I have been reading this forum and I come across someone mentioning about this tool. can anyone advise if I can raise the ANC level (active noise canceling) thru this app? Also can I program it to change to fresh air mode every 20mins and then turn back to Recirculation?
Old 09-24-21, 06:04 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

I have Carista device and used it on my Lexus for a couple of things. However the options are rather limited. I haven't used it for a while. I don't recall any features related to what you're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Stillness (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 08:17 PM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info.
Old 09-25-21, 06:20 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillness
Hi All, new here. I have been reading this forum and I come across someone mentioning about this tool. can anyone advise if I can raise the ANC level (active noise canceling) thru this app? Also can I program it to change to fresh air mode every 20mins and then turn back to Recirculation?
I went to CaristaApp.com. They give a partial list of the options Carista provides for your car. Confirming what ionian reported, they mentioned nothing about these two capabilities.

ANC works by listening through interior microphones for specific frequences of interior noise, then generating counter-sound through the stereo speakers. Chances are there really isn't anything more you could achieve by "turning it up" anyway; I've heard in the past that ham-handed execution of this feature, such as in Infiniti cars, can create unpleasant sensations of low-pitched sounds and pressure on the ears that are at least as fatiguing as the problem it's meant to address.
Old 09-27-21, 05:43 PM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I went to CaristaApp.com. They give a partial list of the options Carista provides for your car. Confirming what ionian reported, they mentioned nothing about these two capabilities.

ANC works by listening through interior microphones for specific frequences of interior noise, then generating counter-sound through the stereo speakers. Chances are there really isn't anything more you could achieve by "turning it up" anyway; I've heard in the past that ham-handed execution of this feature, such as in Infiniti cars, can create unpleasant sensations of low-pitched sounds and pressure on the ears that are at least as fatiguing as the problem it's meant to address.
Thanks for the feedback.

I learn that it can be disabled from this thread which leads me to think, I can turn it on and off or tune it higher (trying my luck) . See thread here Active Noise Control with Subwoofer - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Old 09-28-21, 08:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

BTW, I've studied Lexus technical docs on the "ANC" and it's not as exotic as you think lol. It's not doing the same thing your headphones are doing.

All ANC on the 7ES does is cancel a small percentage of engine RPMs within a certain RPM range. That's it. Has nothing to do with ambient sound, road noise, etc. It has a pre-programmed sound that's tuned specifically for the engine. This is also evident when you have a sub hooked up, the sub will vibrate/pulse from like 1000-3000 RPM then cut off.

I actually tested it back to back with it disabled and enabled so even then i can't notice any difference and I have extremely sensitive and nuanced hearing. So yeah it's nothing really to write home about.
1Priest (03-19-22)
Old 09-28-21, 09:57 AM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
BTW, I've studied Lexus technical docs on the "ANC" and it's not as exotic as you think lol. It's not doing the same thing your headphones are doing.

All ANC on the 7ES does is cancel a small percentage of engine RPMs within a certain RPM range. That's it. Has nothing to do with ambient sound, road noise, etc. It has a pre-programmed sound that's tuned specifically for the engine. This is also evident when you have a sub hooked up, the sub will vibrate/pulse from like 1000-3000 RPM then cut off.

I actually tested it back to back with it disabled and enabled so even then i can't notice any difference and I have extremely sensitive and nuanced hearing. So yeah it's nothing really to write home about.
Thanks E46CT. Very helpful info..

I was hoping to make the ES even more quieter. lol.
Old 09-28-21, 10:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Through Carista you can disable it. that's all you can do with it.
Old 09-28-21, 11:04 AM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

That's good to know.

if u have some spare time, can u do a screenshot of the features available? The website only show some samples, I am looking to tweak;
1) Turn off the back row seat belt alarm - very annoying as it keeps beeping even when seat belt is on.
2) Fresh air mode default everytime engine start. or even better has a timer to turn on and off every 20 mins. ( I measure the Co2 level) and its high on recirculation. makes me very sleepy.

Thank you very much
Old 09-29-21, 07:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

No, sorry.
Old 09-29-21, 08:32 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

I am looking to tweak;
1) Turn off the back row seat belt alarm - very annoying as it keeps beeping even when seat belt is on.
2) Fresh air mode default everytime engine start. or even better has a timer to turn on and off every 20 mins. ( I measure the Co2 level) and its high on recirculation. makes me very sleepy.
I used it last year I made a change related to #1. I don't recall #2 was an option.

Last edited by ionian; 09-29-21 at 08:33 AM. Reason: ...
Stillness (09-29-21)
Old 09-29-21, 09:33 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

I measure the Co2 level and its high on recirculation. makes me very sleepy.
That's a very interesting comment. We had a recent thread where a car magazine's testing found that the ES supposedly had the worst interior air quality out of a large number of cars tested. This seems to merit a closer look.
Old 09-29-21, 09:18 PM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
No, sorry.
No worries - Thanks!
Old 09-29-21, 09:20 PM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ionian
I used it last year I made a change related to #1. I don't recall #2 was an option.
That's good news. I am about to order the ord scanner and turn that beeping off. - thanks for the input.
Old 09-29-21, 09:42 PM
Stillness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
That's a very interesting comment. We had a recent thread where a car magazine's testing found that the ES supposedly had the worst interior air quality out of a large number of cars tested. This seems to merit a closer look.
Yeah, I order the CO2 monitor from Amazon, and the Co2 level shoots up pretty fast.. It went from 400++ to 3000++ in 40 mins drive with air set to 2 bar (no passenger). According to several site, a good range should be around 1100ppm.

"ASHRAE (American Society Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers) says the comfort limit for CO2 concentration is 700 ppm over the ambient level, which is approximately 400 ppm, for a total of 1100 ppm (0.11%)." CO2 buildup in vehicle cabins becoming a safety issue (sae.org)

When I switch to "fresh air mode" the CO2 level drop drastically from 3000++ ppm back to the ambient level of 400++ in 10mins. I measure that it drops about 1,100 ppm every 5 mins. I thought well if I will have to choose between high co2 level or Exhaust gas in highway, I would go with exhaust (at least I am not sleepy). Since the deadliest exhaust gas is the Carbon Monoxide, I bought a carbon monoxide monitor and start measuring with full "fresh air mode" for 1 hr on a busy highway 101. The result was 0 PPM detected (I guess the EPA smog annual smog test works!).

Below is the Carbon monoxide exposure risk factor
  • 0-9 ppm CO: no health risk; normal CO levels in air.
  • 10-29 ppm CO: problems over long-term exposure; chronic problems such as headaches, nausea
  • 30-35 ppm CO: flu-like symptoms begin to develop, especially among the young and the elderly.
  • 36-99 ppm CO: flu-like symptoms among all; nausea, headaches, fatigue or drowsiness, vomiting.
  • 100+ ppm CO: severe symptoms; confusion, intense headaches; ultimately brain damage, coma, and/or death, especially at levels 300-400+ ppm
Carbon Monoxide:"The Silent Killer" | McAfee Heating and Air (mcair.com)

I have been switching to fresh air mode ever since. Also the SMOG sensitivity has no priority over temperature for the AUTO recirculation mode. If the temp is high, it will always stay on recirculation mode (I was hoping it will switch automatically to fresh air mode every 20 mins to clear the co2 based on no smog detected).

Quick Reply: Carista ord scanner