ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Ay Yai Yai! My Beautiful Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 03:46 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Rim place did a fine job on both driver's side rims. Color match was good and they're back on the road. Lesson learned.

The following 3 users liked this post by LeeSoFL:
LexFinally (10-07-21), TechNut (10-09-21), veeinc (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 06:25 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Hmmm. They look great! Good to know that these wheels can be repaired and turn out looking like new. A happy ending after all...
Old 10-07-21, 12:33 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Rim place did a fine job on both driver's side rims. Color match was good and they're back on the road. Lesson learned.

Did they painted the whole rim or just part of it? I don't like the one on mine, it's not smooth and still show some orange peel.
Old 10-07-21, 01:44 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by irobot2090
Did they painted the whole rim or just part of it? I don't like the one on mine, it's not smooth and still show some orange peel.
Yes, since the damage was over the circumference, they repaired and paint both rims entirely.
Old 10-08-21, 06:46 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

For more than a decade, I had two brothers detail our cars right there in the driveway. Outside got a hand wash and wax, inside got the full leather treatment and the glass and gauges sparkled.

Well the brothers moved on to greener pastures. I went to a car wash that had recently opened, and I'd actually heard good things about how they clean and wipe down the car.

The car looked great, but as I walked over, I saw some white specks on the wheels. Pictured below, front wheel with five dings, and the rear with eleven. Welcome to my Sweet 16.
Sorry for your grief.
It just reinforces my habit of avoiding carwashes.
Old 10-10-21, 06:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

It's a new place with state of the art equipment. I line it up with the bottleneck rail, and it pulls your front wheel through. The machinery does a nice job. The personal detailing takes about 15 minutes per car. Also the abundance of flashing colored lights as you make your way through the tunnel, is impressive.

The owner of the place is due to call me today. I'll be pleasant and nice as long as his wash takes responsibility. More to come.
I see you have the Goodyear Maxlifes on your FSport? How do you like them? Im having a set installed this week.
Old 10-10-21, 01:19 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I see you have the Goodyear Maxlifes on your FSport? How do you like them? Im having a set installed this week.
I have about 1000 miles on them and they ride a bit noisier than the Primacy OEM. The ride is tight on the highway, good on local runs too. Wet weather handling was far better than the Primacy.

Problem here in FL is a lot of the roads have coral mixed in with the concrete, so they wear through tires like sandpaper. I only got 16K on the Michelin tires.

We put them on the NX too, at 23K, and they still look new after 8000 miles.
Old 10-10-21, 05:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I have about 1000 miles on them and they ride a bit noisier than the Primacy OEM. The ride is tight on the highway, good on local runs too. Wet weather handling was far better than the Primacy.

Problem here in FL is a lot of the roads have coral mixed in with the concrete, so they wear through tires like sandpaper. I only got 16K on the Michelin tires.

We put them on the NX too, at 23K, and they still look new after 8000 miles.
Wow I thought I did poorly with just under 40k on mine. We have the Goodyears on my wife's RX and they seem far superior to the Michelins her car came with. The goodyears also come with a deeper tread to begin with so I decided to go with them for my ES as well.
Old 10-13-21, 05:00 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Nice looking wheels, and nice repair!

So, will you be looking for another hand detailer going forward?

I find these popular low profile wheel/tire setups more trouble than they are worth. It is far too easy to damage a wheel when there is no sidewall to protect it. After several expensive repairs, I now seek out non-low-profile set-ups whenever possible. Unfortunately, choices are limited on new cars and manufacturer's are more and more going with the better looking, low-profile wheels/tires. I predict the popularity will fall off as more people experience the downside.
Old 10-13-21, 06:33 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Nice looking wheels, and nice repair!

So, will you be looking for another hand detailer going forward?

I find these popular low profile wheel/tire setups more trouble than they are worth. It is far too easy to damage a wheel when there is no sidewall to protect it. After several expensive repairs, I now seek out non-low-profile set-ups whenever possible. Unfortunately, choices are limited on new cars and manufacturer's are more and more going with the better looking, low-profile wheels/tires. I predict the popularity will fall off as more people experience the downside.
The downside is worth it in my opinion just for the look and handling. But for sure you'll eventually experience curb rash. I have several dings on mine as well after nearly three years on the road but I merely use touch up and you'd never know unless you get real close. Leesofl - I had the Goodyears installed yesterday and already love the ride.
The following users liked this post:
LeeSoFL (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 04:28 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

The car wash owner said they could put "retract tire wash" and "retract wheel wash" on my account. I had a monthly wash plan. He put his Porsche through the wash to show me the problem had been corrected (worn tire mechanism, driver's side,) and said he would stand by and resolve any problem I saw with his wash.

I love the guys that did my cars for years, but they couldn't make real money doing a car for $100 or so, and spending three hours doing it.

This is the new company I'll be going with. Good neighbor reviews, hand waxing etc.

https://waxonwheels.com/