ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 09:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

That's just a shadow from the internal construction of the projection unit. It's not for the civilian/layman to worry about. It's like asking why there's spot-welds underneath the rubber seals around the door apertures.

It's just internal stuff. Nothing to see here =)
Old 12-09-21, 09:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

(If I had to guess without tearing apart the projector, it's just a shadow of the LED module itself)
Old 12-09-21, 10:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I have a small canvas bag to hold the few things I carry around in the trunk including a tire pump, quick detailer etc. Anyone need my cargo net just pm me and you can have it.
It actually sits in the way back of the trunk and never moves!
Old 12-09-21, 12:05 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
what's holding the canvas bag? lol
That's what the cargo hooks are for.

For grocery shopping, I got one of the multitude of available trunk organizers with latching hook straps that hook into the cargo hooks to hold everything in place. Since I live in eco-crazed California, I use the cargo net to hold my stash of reusable [grocery] bag treasures.

For cleaning supplies, etc., I repurposed a water proof auto trash container that is strapped into place with one of those adjustable cord and hooks tie downs hooked into the cargo tie downs. The container I got fits perfectly in the space between the trunk outside wall and the trunk lid support arm.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (12-09-21)
Old 12-10-21, 04:54 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

I disconnected mine after one week of ownership.
Easy peasy.

Old 12-10-21, 05:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Easy peasy.

Cute, but alas, no laundry baskets for me in my Lexus...
landonm86 (12-11-21)
Old 12-10-21, 06:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Cute, but alas, no laundry baskets for me in my Lexus...
Unless you have dirty clothing to carry?
Old 12-10-21, 07:10 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Unless you have dirty clothing to carry?
I'm available, wash dry fold, $2/lb.

I tried super-stick hooks, but they wouldn't stay affixed to the carpeted side of the trunk. The basket I got matches Nebula Gray perfectly. For cloth shopping bags they'll stay upright in the basket.

Also, I have a small electric air pump, and I put a piece of velcro on it, and it holds to the side of the trunk, right next to the Lexus "bandaid" kit.

....and yes, the cargo net is worthless. I can't believe they even have the nerve to put it as a "for pay" option.
Old 12-10-21, 07:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The basket looks like it needs a puppy in it. But i wouldn't put a puppy in the trunk.

i also need to put my air pump back in the trunk. i took it out cause it didn't really fit anywhere and i didn't want it taking up space in the tiny net... the velcro thing is giving me ideas though.
bc6152 (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 11:29 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I use a couple of cardboard boxes. Keeps the trunk neat and they're easy to slide around.
Old 12-16-21, 01:27 PM
tiagayepfa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Car Play & Wireless Charger

Got my 2021 ES 350 end of May 2021. It's been in service at least 6 times. When I plug cord in for Apple Car Play, if I'm on the phone, the person I'm speaking to can no longer hear me. The volume goes down so low. I've had them check this over and over and was finally told "It's working as designed". And my wireless charger charges for less than one minute before it starts blnking. I've had this checked over and over and even had the console replaced. This last time I was told the phone has to be in a certain place and if it moves even a bit, that can stop the charging. That's ridiculous. I don't drive in a way that it would move but it's still not functioning properly. I don't have navigation so if I'm using Apple Car Play for a map and my phone needs charging, I either have to wear earphones or look at the map on my phone and not the display. So frustrating. My car has been at the dealership about 20% of the time I've had it. Has anyone else had this experience and more importantly, did it get fixed? I now have a case with Lexus corporate. Let's see what they do but I'm not a happy Lexus owner right now.
Old 12-16-21, 02:40 PM
BillyD1957
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I love the 7ES. Fantastic car. Great styling, great looks. Overall great quality. But as with any car there's quirks or annoyances. Do you have any?

I'll start with one: the door sounds cheap when you close it IF you have the window rolled down (the door rattles when closed as the window flaps around in its channel) Window closed though, door feels great with a solid thud. I feel like Lexus can strengthen the window channel somehow with the next ES.

Ok another: I feel like the ride can be a bit more better over harsh/sudden bumps. It's kind of jarring at times. I want this kind of car to float over bumps (it mostly does) but some impacts are not dealt with nicely.
the outside door skin vibrate on mine when i close it ,,,,,i don't think you will be able to find a smoother riding car ,,,,i have been looking at others they don't come close
Old 12-16-21, 02:44 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by tiagayepfa
Got my 2021 ES 350 end of May 2021. It's been in service at least 6 times. When I plug cord in for Apple Car Play, if I'm on the phone, the person I'm speaking to can no longer hear me. The volume goes down so low. I've had them check this over and over and was finally told "It's working as designed". And my wireless charger charges for less than one minute before it starts blnking. I've had this checked over and over and even had the console replaced. This last time I was told the phone has to be in a certain place and if it moves even a bit, that can stop the charging. That's ridiculous. I don't drive in a way that it would move but it's still not functioning properly. I don't have navigation so if I'm using Apple Car Play for a map and my phone needs charging, I either have to wear earphones or look at the map on my phone and not the display. So frustrating. My car has been at the dealership about 20% of the time I've had it. Has anyone else had this experience and more importantly, did it get fixed? I now have a case with Lexus corporate. Let's see what they do but I'm not a happy Lexus owner right now.
That sounds incredibly frustrating to not get satisfaction with a small but annoying problem like that in multiple visits. You're not getting the features you paid for and had a right to expect.

If you'll pardon a dumb question: My older car has an aftermarket wired connector to connect my iPhone to my stereo. It charges the phone as it functions as a connector. Are you saying that the ES's wired connection for CarPlay does nothing to keep the phone charged while in use?
Old 12-16-21, 03:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I don't nother with ACP but can tell you the wireless chargers are typically inefficient. Is your phone in a case? If so, wireless will always be a challenge.
Old 12-16-21, 04:24 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

This is probably going to take some inconvenient troubleshooting on your part. You can try resetting both the head unit and your phone. If possible, try it with another iPhone or even try an android phone and see if it's the same. iOS update might be a culprit, those updates usually fix issues for some, and cause issues for some.

The wireless charging part, i honestly don't bother with that. It just heats up my phone.

I hope you or Lexus find a solution and you can enjoy your car.

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?