ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21 | 05:09 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Why isn’t there a button on the touchscreen to quickly select Apple CarPlay? It seems like a very easy implementation that was completely forgotten about. My 2019 Honda accord sport allowed for the selection of phone/CarPlay/menu/radio with the quick touch of a always accessible soft button.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21 | 08:16 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Dallas250
Why isn’t there a button on the touchscreen to quickly select Apple CarPlay? It seems like a very easy implementation that was completely forgotten about. My 2019 Honda accord sport allowed for the selection of phone/CarPlay/menu/radio with the quick touch of a always accessible soft button.
i see people talk about touch screen all the time i have googled and i can find info on it i dont understand
is there some 7th gen that has touch screen and some dont ?
is touch screen only on non navigation models ?
or is it on both and i just cant find the setting
no matter how much i have spend trying to reasearch and look into it

i know one thing most people will say is look at the owners manual because they assume we havnt done so when asking questions and that is not always the case i ahve looked and cant find
so now im wondering if it was perhaps not on 2021 models maybe it was changed in recent models but still during the 7th gen ?
Old 12-17-21 | 08:38 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i see people talk about touch screen all the time i have googled and i can find info on it i dont understand

i know one thing most people will say is look at the owners manual because they assume we havnt done so when asking questions and that is not always the case i ahve looked and cant find
so now im wondering if it was perhaps not on 2021 models maybe it was changed in recent models but still during the 7th gen ?
The 2022 ES has touchscreen standard but I’m really unsure exactly when it was added.
Old 12-17-21 | 08:38 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThumperPup

Started with the 2022 models. They moved the screen closer to the driver and made it a touch screen. I believe that is on all models and not just those with nav.
Old 12-17-21 | 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yep touch screen simply added (MY22) cause competitors have it and people (Youtube journalists) generally complain about the Lexus touchpad interface. That stuff affects sales.

Therefore touch added and screen shifted towards driver so they can touch it.

And yeah one-touch Apple car play button should be a thing.
Old 12-17-21 | 08:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I've never once used the wireless charger that takes up 1/2 the center console storage. I tried deleting it but it seems way too baked into the plastics. So I gave up since it's a lease. The storage space went from useful to being able to hold a few pens. lol. I think wireless chargers should be baked into the console space somewhere where the phone is accessible. But really my iPhone 13 Pro has such EXTREME battery life and charges extremely fast, so I never have a need for any charging in the car, let alone slow wireless charging.
Old 12-19-21 | 06:39 AM
RobertJay
Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
Started with the 2022 models. They moved the screen closer to the driver and made it a touch screen. I believe that is on all models and not just those with nav.
Yes, my 2022 ES350 is moved comfortably closer and is a touch screen although you can use the touchpad also. I prefer the touch screen. I haven't got the hang of the touch pad yet.
RJ
Old 01-01-22 | 09:41 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G1H1
Gosh. It looks so simple in the video. No so in real life.

Footnote (no pun intended): The dealer customer relations rep who was demonstrating the features of my new purchase gave up after multiple unsuccessful attempts with the trunk kick release. So mine may be more difficult than normal.
I have found that the secret is to kick and step back. That works virtually every time for me. It must sense you are too close from a safety standpoint.
Old 01-01-22 | 09:52 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by petiepye
I have found that the secret is to kick and step back. That works virtually every time for me. It must sense you are too close from a safety standpoint.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try it.
Old 01-02-22 | 01:57 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G1H1
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try it.
You need training as a ballet dancer to use that option🤣 Sounds similar to the wave at the logo option to open the hatch on our RX.
Old 01-02-22 | 02:30 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

My kick sensor works every time. Never fails.

When I picked up my ES in Aug '19, the saleswoman tried to demonstrate it to me but couldn't get it to open. She was sticking her foot on one side and then moving her foot from side to side. When I got home I searched on YouTube and the video I posted above (#107) came up. Worked like a charm and has ever since. Note the video says the hatch won't open until you remove your foot from under the car. I just do the exact movement in the video.

If that doesn't work for you, then I'd discuss it with your dealer.
Old 01-02-22 | 02:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DavidZ

When I picked up my ES in Aug '19, the saleswoman tried to demonstrate it to me but couldn't get it to open. She was sticking her foot on one side and then moving her foot from side to side. When I got home I searched on YouTube and the video I posted above (#107) came up. Worked like a charm and has ever since. Note the video says the hatch won't open until you remove your foot from under the car. I just do the exact movement in the video.

Same here on both of our (non-Lexus) cars. That video you posted is great. Brief, simple and to the point. It works every time, or at least 98%-99%. My wife has given up on the kick to open feature but once you develop the technique it's easy peasy.
Old 01-02-22 | 02:48 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidZ

In my case the video didn’t help at all. However, a few minutes ago I executed the step back maneuver advocated by petiepye and it worked. Not ready to declare it a complete success until I experiment some more.
Old 01-03-22 | 08:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The other day I really wanted a kick sensor. I was carrying 3 12 packs of Diet Coke to the trunk and I really needed an extra hand to open the trunk. but other than that i haven't had the need for it.

Old 01-03-22 | 09:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
The other day I really wanted a kick sensor. I was carrying 3 12 packs of Diet Coke to the trunk and I really needed an extra hand to open the trunk. but other than that i haven't had the need for it.
I had FOUR 12 packs of CokeZero the other day and managed without that clever gimmick

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?