ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 08:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

How about no rear heated seats. This is a complete fumble and cheesey cost cut for a Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Rarewolf (11-05-21)
Old 10-31-21, 11:02 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How about no rear heated seats. This is a complete fumble and cheesey cost cut for a Lexus.
I agree with this. With a bunch of Hyundais and Kias rocking this feature, to not have it on a $53k "Ultra Luxury" is downright embarrassing. I'd add a few other painfully obvious cost cuts:

•The unfinished trunk-ceiling surface in the area of the trunk light and springs
•Plastic replacing wood on the door panel surfaces around the power window switches

To be fair, though, Gen 7 has more size, more power, more tech, and a new improved chassis, yet the MSRP on the base model isn't up much. The cost has got to come from somewhere. And as on a lot of modern cars, it's come from the surfaces you can see and touch.
Old 11-01-21, 06:13 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I found that odd myself when I got my ES since the Avalon Limited's I had before this both had heated rear seats.
Old 11-01-21, 06:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I found that odd myself when I got my ES since the Avalon Limited's I had before this both had heated rear seats.
They ought to have independent climate controls for the rear seats as well.
Old 11-01-21, 02:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

For a good number of years, Lexus seemed to have had the goal of keeping the MSRP of the base ES below $40,000. They met that goal by making the base ES more and more "basic" and turning features that had previously been included as standard into extra cost options. (Finally, in the last couple of years, the base ES did go over $40,000.)

Now, it appears that Lexus is trying to keep the MSRP of a fully loaded ES below $55,000 by not even offering some features as options.

Heck, even the RAV4 Limited Hybrid that I bought about a year ago came with heated rear seats.

Last edited by lesz; 11-01-21 at 03:44 PM.
LexFinally (11-01-21)
Old 11-02-21, 06:21 AM
LexNL
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For a good number of years, Lexus seemed to have had the goal of keeping the MSRP of the base ES below $40,000. They met that goal by making the base ES more and more "basic" and turning features that had previously been included as standard into extra cost options. (Finally, in the last couple of years, the base ES did go over $40,000.)

Now, it appears that Lexus is trying to keep the MSRP of a fully loaded ES below $55,000 by not even offering some features as options.

Heck, even the RAV4 Limited Hybrid that I bought about a year ago came with heated rear seats.
FYI: In the Netherlands the ES 300h has 5 different "styles": Preference Line, Luxury Line, F-Sport Line, Executive Line and President Line. The 2 top-level styles come with a Tri-zone Climate Control and heated rear seats. No idea why this feature isn't available in the USA.
On the other hand, all available styles over here come with a slide/tilt sunroof, but the panoramic roof is not available, not even as an option.

BTW I noticed a huge{!} difference in the MSRP between the USA and The Netherlands. In NL the ES 300h starts at 51,455 Euro ($59,711), and for the fully loaded "President Line" you have to pay 70,485 euro ($81,794). Even the extra taxes we have to pay here on cars doesn't explain this big difference. Perhaps it's related to the country where the cars are produced. Our ES 300h models are all made in Japan.
Rileybear (12-18-21)
Old 11-02-21, 07:09 AM
LexNL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EV02is View Post
I notice the wipers will never initially automatically wipe standing water when I first get in the car. I have to manually start it before it becomes functional.

Originally Posted by ionian
Same on my ES300h. Must be a Lexus thing?
It's not a Lexus thing. This morning it was raining. After starting my (Japanese) 2020 ES, the wipers started to wipe automatically, without touching the wiper lever. I left the lever the day before in "AUTO" (Rain-sensing operation) mode. This difference in behavior could be a software, MY, or country thing.
Old 11-02-21, 08:49 PM
JimmyDee25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gas mileage.

But I think it’s partly my fault. Mostly city driving with occasional hard acceleration and I idle for about 20-25 min at a time waiting to pick up my kids from school.

My average right now says 11.5 MPG. Oh my. But I’m at 3 weeks between fill ups.

Anyone else having the same issues? Any suggestions? I have heard our cars are horrible with idling.

I have a 2020 ES 350 F sport.

Old 11-03-21, 04:54 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by JimmyDee25
I have heard our cars are horrible with idling.

I have a 2020 ES 350 F sport.
When you say "horrible with idling," do you mean fuel consumption?
Old 11-03-21, 04:59 PM
JimmyDee25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
When you say "horrible with idling," do you mean fuel consumption?
Yes. Like if you just leave the engine on and leave it in Park. It causes the MPGs to suffer horribly.

I have seen the average MPG drop literally 0.3-0.9 while idling, depending on how long.
Old 11-04-21, 07:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Why leave it idling for extended periods of time??
Old 11-04-21, 02:34 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexNL
FYI: In the Netherlands the ES 300h has 5 different "styles": Preference Line, Luxury Line, F-Sport Line, Executive Line and President Line. The 2 top-level styles come with a Tri-zone Climate Control and heated rear seats. No idea why this feature isn't available in the USA.
On the other hand, all available styles over here come with a slide/tilt sunroof, but the panoramic roof is not available, not even as an option.

BTW I noticed a huge{!} difference in the MSRP between the USA and The Netherlands. In NL the ES 300h starts at 51,455 Euro ($59,711), and for the fully loaded "President Line" you have to pay 70,485 euro ($81,794). Even the extra taxes we have to pay here on cars doesn't explain this big difference. Perhaps it's related to the country where the cars are produced. Our ES 300h models are all made in Japan.
Interesting.. saw this in the 2020 review done by Carwow and that version has this

Old 11-04-21, 03:35 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by JimmyDee25
Yes. Like if you just leave the engine on and leave it in Park. It causes the MPGs to suffer horribly.

I have seen the average MPG drop literally 0.3-0.9 while idling, depending on how long.
This is true of every gas-engine car that doesn't have stop-start tech, which I'm glad not to have. Somebody put it well when they said, "Every time you sit motionless with the engine running, you're getting a big fat zero miles per gallon."
JimmyDee25 (11-04-21)
Old 11-05-21, 01:23 AM
LexNL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Interesting.. saw this in the 2020 review done by Carwow and that version has this
The fully loaded version of the 2022 ES 300h in Europe (in NL it's called "President Line") comes with the following features:
- Performance dampers
- "Blade Scan" LED headlights
- Mark Levinson audio
- Tri-zone climate control (separate control for the back seat passengers)
- Manual sun screens at the back door windows
- Power sun screen at the rear window
- Heated back seats
- Power adjustable backrest for the back seats
- Control panel in the back seat armrest for audio, climate, sun screen and backrest (shown in your picture)
- Control buttons in the backrest of the passenger seat for moving passenger seat and its backrest, for use by the rear passengers or driver

It seems to me that the specific "executive rear passenger" features are not available in the USA.
Old 11-05-21, 07:49 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexNL
The fully loaded version of the 2022 ES 300h in Europe (in NL it's called "President Line") comes with the following features:
- Performance dampers
- "Blade Scan" LED headlights
- Mark Levinson audio
- Tri-zone climate control (separate control for the back seat passengers)
- Manual sun screens at the back door windows
- Power sun screen at the rear window
- Heated back seats
- Power adjustable backrest for the back seats
- Control panel in the back seat armrest for audio, climate, sun screen and backrest (shown in your picture)
- Control buttons in the backrest of the passenger seat for moving passenger seat and its backrest, for use by the rear passengers or driver

It seems to me that the specific "executive rear passenger" features are not available in the USA.
Those are DEFINITELY not available here in the US.

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?