ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-21, 08:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Those are DEFINITELY not available here in the US.
And the prices in The Netherlands reflect the additional features.
Old 11-05-21, 08:57 PM
Rarewolf
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coasting from the Coast

Ive been doing a lot of Safe driving gas saving lately.
And ive been coasting a lot.
Something i have noticed.
Is1 the car "drags" while coasting.
Meaning it feels like the breaks are applied or that it is gonna stop sooner then it should.

2 the car downshifts when coasting?

As i coast apart from it feeling like its dragging i also get a gentle jerking feel and i see the rpm "bump and dip" causing the car to feel even less smooth and even annoying at times.
Especially if you want to coast for as long as possible to get those MPGs.
The following users liked this post:
FTBoomer (01-04-22)
Old 11-05-21, 10:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarewolf
Ive been doing a lot of Safe driving gas saving lately.
And ive been coasting a lot.
Something i have noticed.
Is1 the car "drags" while coasting.
Meaning it feels like the breaks are applied or that it is gonna stop sooner then it should.

2 the car downshifts when coasting?

As i coast apart from it feeling like its dragging i also get a gentle jerking feel and i see the rpm "bump and dip" causing the car to feel even less smooth and even annoying at times.
Especially if you want to coast for as long as possible to get those MPGs.
Assumming your profile is correct and you're driving an ES 350...

If you read some of Toyota's [Lexus's] marketing PR materials you'll find one of the fuel saving efficiency features of the "new" 8 speed transmission is that the torque converter gets locked up over a much wider range of speeds. In essence while the torque convert is locked up, the engine and transmission are acting pretty similar to an old style manual with the clutch engaged arrangement. (These transmissions are nothing at all like the good ol' days' slush boxes that some people have fond, nostalgic memories of.) Take your foot off the accelerator and you get engine braking. As the car's speed reduces, the transmission's computer shifts the gearing down to lower gears to keep the engine from getting into a rough low RPM or possibly stalling state.

That brake like "drag" you're experiencing while trying to coast is just the effect of engine braking while not having accelerator input.
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
FTBoomer (01-04-22), Rarewolf (11-06-21)
Old 11-06-21, 12:54 AM
Rarewolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
Assumming your profile is correct and you're driving an ES 350...

If you read some of Toyota's [Lexus's] marketing PR materials you'll find one of the fuel saving efficiency features of the "new" 8 speed transmission is that the torque converter gets locked up over a much wider range of speeds. In essence while the torque convert is locked up, the engine and transmission are acting pretty similar to an old style manual with the clutch engaged arrangement. (These transmissions are nothing at all like the good ol' days' slush boxes that some people have fond, nostalgic memories of.) Take your foot off the accelerator and you get engine braking. As the car's speed reduces, the transmission's computer shifts the gearing down to lower gears to keep the engine from getting into a rough low RPM or possibly stalling state.

That brake like "drag" you're experiencing while trying to coast is just the effect of engine braking while not having accelerator input.
Ty it does explain a lot.
Im jumping from a 98 es300
So i could coast for what felt like forever.
So i guess it is nostalgia now.
Old 11-07-21, 02:45 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Those are DEFINITELY not available here in the US.
Yes the US gets the poverty ES, which is strange as it was originally marketed to the US.

Specs in Australia/NZ/Singapore/Taiwan all surpass the US.
bjjones (02-10-22)
Old 11-07-21, 06:46 AM
hammerme
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It is wrong to call the US version a "poverty ES". It has region-specific marketing.
In the US / Canada, a loaded ES is priced much better than most (all?) other regions, mostly only because the rear seat amenities are simpler. In the US / Canada, the ES is hardly ever used as a chauffeured car; the owner is usually behind the wheel. So it makes little sense to over-pamper the rear seat occupants, who may well be just the kids or no-one. The US at least gets a V6 gas motor if they want it (for less money than the hybrid). Plus we get a panoramic sunroof. Thats not poverty, thats consumption baby!
The following 3 users liked this post by hammerme:
bc6152 (11-07-21), dklanecky1 (11-08-21), LexFinally (11-07-21)
Old 11-07-21, 10:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by hammerme
It is wrong to call the US version a "poverty ES". It has region-specific marketing.
In the US / Canada, a loaded ES is priced much better than most (all?) other regions, mostly only because the rear seat amenities are simpler. In the US / Canada, the ES is hardly ever used as a chauffeured car; the owner is usually behind the wheel. So it makes little sense to over-pamper the rear seat occupants, who may well be just the kids or no-one. The US at least gets a V6 gas motor if they want it (for less money than the hybrid). Plus we get a panoramic sunroof. Thats not poverty, thats consumption baby!
Well said. The last time someone wss in the rear of my ES, he asked if anyone had ever been back there before😀 Rarely but I still wish it had heated seats.
Old 11-07-21, 10:52 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

rear seat heating is very common in US and CA spec cars due to climate. Even the Avalon has it. Lexus calling it Ultra Luxury without basic amenity like that is a Lexus US oversight. Instead they fluff around stuff like spoiler as options is beyond me.

The ES is made for rear passengers. Is not a drivers car. There are better options out there if you rarely carry passengers.

Last edited by 703; 11-07-21 at 10:55 AM.
bjjones (02-10-22)
Old 11-07-21, 11:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Well said. The last time someone wss in the rear of my ES, he asked if anyone had ever been back there before😀 Rarely but I still wish it had heated seats.
With my last 2 Lexus ES vehicles, I'm pretty sure that, when I traded/sold them, no one had ever sat in the back seats.

I've now had my RAV4 Hybrid for a little over a year. The only time that anyone sat in the 2nd row seats was when I sat in them just to see how much leg room there was. The RAV4 does have heated 2nd row seats. My guess is that the heat in those seats will never be used while I own the vehicle. Actually, I couldn't even say for sure that those seat heaters even work. 😀
Old 11-07-21, 12:51 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Yes, it's on the big screen, but by the time my attention moves to the big screen, I'm practically parked already. I first look to the dash, but when it's blocked, I end up going by the sound of the beep. Also, for some reason I find the big screen graphic more difficult to read and navigate with.
You will get used to the big screen eventually. This is my fourth vehicle now with the surround view and I look nowhere else o5her than the big screen when pulling into or out of a tight spot. Actually I won’t buy a vehicle now that doesn’t have the 360 in it.
The following 3 users liked this post by lgb0250:
dklanecky1 (11-08-21), Ltvscout (11-07-21), TechNut (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 07:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lgb0250
You will get used to the big screen eventually. This is my fourth vehicle now with the surround view and I look nowhere else o5her than the big screen when pulling into or out of a tight spot. Actually I won’t buy a vehicle now that doesn’t have the 360 in it.
This is like saying there's a big game on today, I'm sitting in front of my 75" OLED TV but I'm only listening to the game on the radio
lgb0250 (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 10:17 AM
Rarewolf
Rookie

This is like saying there's a big game on today, I'm sitting in front of my 75" OLED TV but I'm only listening to the game on the radio
maybe the radio host is a better play by play caller.
Im not a sports fan but i am an entertainment consumer and whichever one is better for all the senses is the onr i would enjoy more.
Old 11-08-21, 11:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rarewolf
maybe the radio host is a better play by play caller.
Im not a sports fan but i am an entertainment consumer and whichever one is better for all the senses is the onr i would enjoy more.
I suspect even a non sports fan would agree the view from the 75" TV might be a better experience than listening to the radio regardless of sportscaster
Old 11-08-21, 07:15 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Speaking of the steering wheel, I find it annoying when I'm pulling into a parking space and I hear the beeping because I'm getting close to something, but can't see the graphic on the dashboard because the steering wheel is turned and blocking it.
Should have gotten the optional HUD. Intuitive parking assist graphics gets displayed on the HUD (as well as the MID and main screen) when the parking sensors detect one or more close objects.

That said, the display graphics for that subsystem only give a relatively rough location and distance of some detectable object(s) so it has become more or less an automatic response to change my visual focus over to the optionally equipped 12.3 screen's panoramic view monitor display. With that display's vehicle guide lines and 360 degree visual picture of the vehicle surroundings, it is a lot easier to fine tune vehicle movement for precision parking. (Although it may not be to some people's liking and there are a few drawbacks with the setting, I have the panoramic view monitor set to auto display when the vehicle speed is below approximately 6 mph.)
dklanecky1 (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 12:43 AM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I love the 7ES. Fantastic car. Great styling, great looks. Overall great quality. But as with any car there's quirks or annoyances. Do you have any?

I'll start with one: the door sounds cheap when you close it IF you have the window rolled down (the door rattles when closed as the window flaps around in its channel) Window closed though, door feels great with a solid thud. I feel like Lexus can strengthen the window channel somehow with the next ES.

Ok another: I feel like the ride can be a bit more better over harsh/sudden bumps. It's kind of jarring at times. I want this kind of car to float over bumps (it mostly does) but some impacts are not dealt with nicely.

my **** list...

> road noise - they need to improve sound deadening some how
> ride - need to improve ride quality it should not be so firm,- ignore all those idiot motor jounalist who compare this to a Euro car. Lexus fans dont care about Euro car stiff ride and loud road noise... we care only about comfort, smoothness and quietness
> F sport seats are not comfortable
> dis continue the f sport brand it ruins what ES lexus is supposed to be
> install wireless car play

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?