ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 07:49 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm annoyed that the trunk arms space is not covered. Often I get stuff crushed because you misjudged clearance or stuff moved around since you last closed it. Mine has auto close but it takes quite a bit of force to stop it, it'll crush a cereal box no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wait4Vtec:
landonm86 (10-08-22), LexFinally (11-14-21)
Old 11-14-21, 10:09 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
I'm annoyed that the trunk arms space is not covered. Often I get stuff crushed because you misjudged clearance or stuff moved around since you last closed it. Mine has auto close but it takes quite a bit of force to stop it, it'll crush a cereal box no problem.
Useful post, IMO. A very practical consideration that really matters when it matters.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (10-08-22)
Old 11-14-21, 11:27 AM
vernechamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default touch screen

Love my new 2022 ESUL but I wish they'd brought the touch screen even a little closer--or maybe that they'd allow split screen with carplay, so that carplay would be more touch accessible and ac controls could be on the right. Even still, I'm totally nit picking here.
Old 11-16-21, 08:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I love creating these kinds of threads cause Lexus will DEFINITELY review them when developing the new ES. So if there's any legitimate concerns, lets help them out.

Re the post above me, As far as the touch screen, of course the next gen will have a closer screen. The 2022 had an interior facelift so it was an update to an already baked in design. In other words sort of a temporary band-aid solution.

Next Gen ES wishlist:
  • Wireless ACP would be nice
  • Foglights please (every other model has them)
  • Nicer headlights and taillights w/ sweeping sequential turn signals
  • Full time camera recording system or at least an integrated dashcam with memory card in glove box
  • Standard glass breakage and tilt sensor (security)
  • Pet mode for hybrids -- allow you to exit car and lock door with AC on (say if you're running in starbucks and want to leave the dog in the car) My workaround for now is get out of the car, lock it, then use the app to remote-start where the car will run for 10 min w/ AC on.
  • Hybrid brakes still a bit jumpy on re-application after application. (foot off then back on) under certain situations
  • Front glass on both my 2021s had factory hard etching that needed very strong buffing to remove. glass defects supplier side or factory side not sure.
  • Wireless charger and USB ports are poorly placed--like an afterthought. Please pre-game and pre-plan better. Also USB-C. no more USB-A.
  • Also Lexus, please don't shut off the car while it's running in remote start mode as soon as we enter it, only to be forced to restart it again. Silly.
  • Front door shut quality--too much rattling--"oil canning" of exterior panel is partly to blame. needs more reinforcement behind it due to how large it is (large doors). Rear doors are fine.
  • Trunk shut quality. Too much bounce back/resonance when shutting trunk, particularly towards the sides. Trunk should shut securely in one "thunk" motion with no movement after it's latched (I pay close attention to detail) it's not BAD, but not ideal for an ES.
  • Screen/gauge resolution has always been poor on Lexus for digital tach/screens etc. Low res is very obvious you are cost cutting.
  • Give us ability to disable certain radio sources, say AM radio. I hate having to cycle through 1930s AM radio while trying to get past three other sources i never use. If there's a way to do this, i haven't found it.
  • Steering wheel buttons--too close to wheel rim. Accidental presses.
  • Turn signal stalk. feels cheap--can we at least have the IS one?
  • RCTA/Auto brake is too sensitive. Tone it down.
  • Sensitive dashboard material (super prone to scratches/white marks) that can't be removed. (permanent scarring)
  • Softer/cushier front seats. Too thin, too hard. We want bouncy/cushy/thick like the RX.
  • The ride could use a bit of improvement. A tad bit stiff and the rear suspension tends to "crash" a bit over bumps. I'm talking slight here. But enough to notice. Apparently 2022 has stiffer bracing to mitigate this.
  • Bonus: Can we get a digital rear view mirror? Hopefully costs come down.
  • I appreciate the added stiffness due to the V-Brace but I feel like next time the body-in-white can be stiff AND allow fold down seats. The germans do it. why not.
  • Being picky here but roof rail strips. Old fashion. Integrate the roof panel like the IS does. Cleaner.

Powertrain, body, steering are all for the most part superb. No changes needed.
Old 11-16-21, 10:51 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Lots of good points there and if Toyota just pays attention to a third of them it will be a better car.
Old 11-16-21, 11:18 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Lots of good points there and if Toyota just pays attention to a third of them it will be a better car.
If Toyota pays attention to just a third of them, they'll miss their price target by $3,000. :.D

Most of these are equipment adds. I did particularly notice one of the remaining ones: too-thin seat cushions. "We" rather like that they made the car longer, lower and wider to become sportier in both looks and demeanor as an alternative to SUVs like, yes, the RX. Betcha a nickel the seat cushions got less plump because they had to do it to conserve headroom. Personally I think the rear cushion height is a greater problem than the front cushion's thickness, but again, that's a price of a sexy tapering roofline.

Last edited by LexFinally; 11-18-21 at 11:23 AM.
dklanecky1 (11-17-21)
Old 11-17-21, 02:58 PM
RobertJay
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about sunglass holder?
Old 11-17-21, 04:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertJay
How about sunglass holder?
Not a fan. In the summer when the car is outside, they get burning hot. I keep them in a case in the door pocket. Much better solution for me.
Old 11-18-21, 02:46 PM
CTES350
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First time Lexus owner and first time poster. Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’d like to be able to see a way in which ACP (Projection, really) is an included function of the Home Screen set up. Currently, my choices are limited to Climate, Navigation, ECO, and Audio. I want to press the Home button and return to ACP.

My apologies if this is actually possible, or or it’s so IMPossible that it’s a stupid gripe.
landonm86 (10-08-22)
Old 11-19-21, 02:14 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CTES350
First time Lexus owner and first time poster. Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’d like to be able to see a way in which ACP (Projection, really) is an included function of the Home Screen set up. Currently, my choices are limited to Climate, Navigation, ECO, and Audio. I want to press the Home button and return to ACP.

My apologies if this is actually possible, or or it’s so IMPossible that it’s a stupid gripe.
https://www.google.com/search?client...nLtQa3_bCACA15
Old 11-20-21, 02:40 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Learning to live with the downshifting transmission holding 3rd gear until almost stopped. Learning to live with no analog speedometer.
Old 11-20-21, 04:48 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RJLsES
Learning to live with the downshifting transmission holding 3rd gear until almost stopped. Learning to live with no analog speedometer.
In my 2019 ES 350 I can choose an analog or digital speedo... Thought you could too...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
FlexnLexus (05-11-23), lccgl479 (11-21-21)
Old 11-20-21, 04:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RJLsES
In my 2019 ES 350 I can choose an analog or digital speedo... Thought you could too...

Sorry. Hit submit twice...
Old 11-20-21, 05:52 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Yes, the analog speedometer option is available for all 2019 ES350s except for the ES350 F-Sport, which we have.
Old 11-20-21, 05:56 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Besides, us F-Sport drivers are 'race-bred' and we don't need no stinkin' speedometer, only the tachometer! ;-)
FTBoomer (01-04-22)

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?