ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 02:00 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've yet to see a native nav system in any car with the accuracy of WAZE.
It's either Apple or Google maps for me. Waze will take you through someone's living room just to save 2 mins.

I agree though, using native nav, especially Lexus, is waste of time.
Old 11-24-21, 06:17 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Have you read the owner’s manual regarding the kick sensor? I had troubles when I got my LS500 but then read the manual and it’s good now that I kick the correct way LOL
Originally Posted by G1H1
Yes, I read it multiple times, and then would practice in my driveway. Very sporadic success.
A video is worth 1,000 words

The following 3 users liked this post by DavidZ:
dklanecky1 (11-25-21), landonm86 (10-08-22), LexFinally (11-25-21)
Old 11-26-21, 06:50 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I like to wash my car and not use a commercial car wash. To clean the wind screen you must pull the wipers out and away from the glass to effectively clean it. This cannot be done starting in gen 7 ES cars. You must turn off the car and within 55 seconds do a wipe with the wipers which place them upright on the windscreen. It is then possible to pull them off the glass. It is very advisable to shoot some glass cleaner onto the glass so that the wipers don't wipe a dry windscreen before using the wiper upright feature. Now here's the catch and stupid annoyance built in by the brain surgeons at Lexus... After you clean the glass and wipe it dry you must get the wipers to return to the rest position. So you replace them onto the glass, but wait a minute the glass is now dry. You must run them on a dry windscreen or again wet it so they don't scratch the glass. Stupid and a poor design. Lexus should have kept the system they had for gen 6 cars where the wipers could be moved up and away from the glass for cleaning. What BS...
actually on the Gen 6 is the same as the gen 5 it had nothing to do with making it easier to clean
what the technical term or specific technical reasoning for why they did that had to do with the winter position and summer position they did it so when you moved it forward or upwards i called it position 2 yes it did make it easier to pull them out to clean a window but it was menat to allow it to have less changes at getting barried when there was a good snowstorm or ice and such like that .

Old 11-26-21, 07:02 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
Lex Wannabe: This 7 gen is the product of many blunders in their design and execution. Negative comments bring out the things that Lexus needs to improve on, like their 8 speed transmission and faulty remote starts. And yes, Lexus needs to put a hang tag on the wiper stalk to alert people how to use this wiper feature. The wipers on the 7 gen should be the same as the 6 gen!!! I agree.
yes deffantly agree with what your saying about how negative comments help in one way thats good i always believe if you dont say anyting about the issue then no one will know your not happy about it but to repeat it like the ground with a baseball bat over and over again somewhere that lexus might not even hear it thats just a waste of time.
So does anyone even know if Lexus or reps ever even come on hear to read and learn what people dont like about the stuff they do ?
who knows maybe maybe not
but comes a point where how about write into lexus customer services about what you dont like on a vehicle that will probably do better then writing in a forum thread or atleast make a review where people can see it that they dont have to sign up and joina group to know its there
Old 11-26-21, 07:04 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by DavidZ
No sunglass holder. My 2004 ES had one. I don't understand why they would eliminate such a convenient feature.
yeah getting ride of the sunglass holder was a mistake they did in the 6th gen it just sucks
Old 11-26-21, 07:06 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How about no rear heated seats. This is a complete fumble and cheesey cost cut for a Lexus.
did they ever had this in any of the ES models ? not that im aware of
go get a LS You can get that option
Old 11-26-21, 07:13 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by hammerme
It is wrong to call the US version a "poverty ES". It has region-specific marketing.
In the US / Canada, a loaded ES is priced much better than most (all?) other regions, mostly only because the rear seat amenities are simpler. In the US / Canada, the ES is hardly ever used as a chauffeured car; the owner is usually behind the wheel. So it makes little sense to over-pamper the rear seat occupants, who may well be just the kids or no-one. The US at least gets a V6 gas motor if they want it (for less money than the hybrid). Plus we get a panoramic sunroof. Thats not poverty, thats consumption baby!
yup and most ES owners buy a ES for the price if anyone wanted to spend 80k here thye would start looking at other models not the ES
also how much does the LS start for in the netherlands im assuming alot more than its priced starting here in the US ?
Old 11-26-21, 07:16 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Owners have been complaining about their marked up dashboards for 4 years now. Yet, the same material is being supplied on the 2022 models and the same complaints are being stated...
I can't understand why it wasn't tested and recognized as faulty... Think Lexus engineers and product buyers read this forum? Maybe they do but nothing changes... Same thing with 2019 Android Auto retrofit. Lexus makes it a policy NOT TO GO BACKWARDS FOR A FIX... $$$$. In all fairness I would think that most, if not all, manufacturers act in the same manner...
All comes down to money... Customer satisfaction is an afterthought...
Old 11-26-21, 08:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Owners have been complaining about their marked up dashboards for 4 years now. Yet, the same material is being supplied on the 2022 models and the same complaints are being stated...
I can't understand why it wasn't tested and recognized as faulty... Think Lexus engineers and product buyers read this forum? Maybe they do but nothing changes... Same thing with 2019 Android Auto retrofit. Lexus makes it a policy NOT TO GO BACKWARDS FOR A FIX... $$$$. In all fairness I would think that most, if not all, manufacturers act in the same manner...
All comes down to money... Customer satisfaction is an afterthought...
I think we all like to “believe” that Lexus reads this forum, but I have my doubts that they do in any official capacity. They no longer appear to be in “passionate pursuit of perfection.” A friend likes to rib me stating Lexus has switched to the “passionate pursuit of perception” - so now the dash just needs to look good. Functionality and durability are no longer as important as appearance?
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
bc6152 (11-26-21), bjjones (02-10-22)
Old 11-26-21, 08:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TechNut
I think we all like to “believe” that Lexus reads this forum, but I have my doubts that they do in any official capacity. They no longer appear to be in “passionate pursuit of perfection.” A friend likes to rib me stating Lexus has switched to the “passionate pursuit of perception” - so now the dash just needs to look good. Functionality and durability are no longer as important as appearance?
Well stated Doug...
Old 11-26-21, 09:09 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

i always go by if you dont ask the question the answer is always 100% NO
this also goes for if you don't complain to the right people about it or reprot the problem to the right department then 100% always assume they never even know what the problem is.
This forum is not owned or run by lexus correct ?
so how the hell can we even assume they ever find out about the complains here so i assume 100% they have no clue
so what can be done is enough people can sighn a complain about the issue and send in a letter to lexus about it
or enough people can individually contact lexus about it and let it be known
if people are not willing to do this then they should not be willing to complain about an issue otherwise it goes on deaf ears.

Old 11-26-21, 09:42 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

I get that the dash problem is unnecessary, and because it is, it's all the more exasperating from a company that should know better. But IMO, the sweeping conclusion that Lexus has entirely deserted its values of reliability and durability is a little over the top.

I once stood in a repair garage chatting with the mechanic. A late-model supercharged RS6 was parked in one of the stalls. Beautiful thing. I made a positive comment about it, and a look crossed his face. I asked him why. He explained, "It has a bunch of tubing in the engine compartment, and it's all plastic. Enough heating/cooling cycles, and it eventually cracks. It just doesn't have the quality of materials appropriate to a car at that level. I just don't understand it."

You still would never see Lexus do that. Which is why Lexus just reclaimed its #1 spot in the CR reliability survey. Look up Lexus models, and except for the woebegone new LS, you'll see a row of soothing green dots, just like always. Yes, just like a decade ago when they made a sticky dash, they used a lousy dash material. That is bad, as far as it goes. But when it's my money, I'd still bet on a Lexus over the Germans, Koreans or pseudo-Americans.
Old 11-26-21, 01:11 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The dash is a design feature. Gives it more of a rustic look with use. Just don’t go drawing pen1es on it.
Old 11-26-21, 03:13 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 703
The dash is a design feature. Gives it more of a rustic look with use. Just don’t go drawing pen1es on it.
I don't want a 'rustic' look... Not sure what a pen1es is but have a suspicion...
Old 11-27-21, 09:12 AM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
A video is worth 1,000 words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94_6b6Gj-o
Gosh. It looks so simple in the video. No so in real life.

Footnote (no pun intended): The dealer customer relations rep who was demonstrating the features of my new purchase gave up after multiple unsuccessful attempts with the trunk kick release. So mine may be more difficult than normal.

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?