ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 10:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts
Default What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?

I love the 7ES. Fantastic car. Great styling, great looks. Overall great quality. But as with any car there's quirks or annoyances. Do you have any?

I'll start with one: the door sounds cheap when you close it IF you have the window rolled down (the door rattles when closed as the window flaps around in its channel) Window closed though, door feels great with a solid thud. I feel like Lexus can strengthen the window channel somehow with the next ES.

Ok another: I feel like the ride can be a bit more better over harsh/sudden bumps. It's kind of jarring at times. I want this kind of car to float over bumps (it mostly does) but some impacts are not dealt with nicely.
Old 10-22-21, 10:37 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

There was clearly a decision to go firmer than Gen 6, even on the non-F Sport version. It had to be part of their determination to reach down for younger buyers, but I think it goes a bit against the personality of this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
iceblast (12-07-21), radiologym (11-02-21)
Old 10-22-21, 11:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Ok another: I feel like the ride can be a bit more better over harsh/sudden bumps. It's kind of jarring at times. I want this kind of car to float over bumps (it mostly does) but some impacts are not dealt with nicely.
Because the lack of the GS line. I felt the suppleness is tuned between the last Gen ES and GS.
The following users liked this post:
iceblast (12-07-21)
Old 10-22-21, 12:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe but as a whole TNGA was designed to be a "handling" machine in general. The 2016 Prius was known as a handler and shares similar underpinnings to newer TNGA. All the new TNGA products are tuned at Lexus's test track lol.
Old 10-22-21, 03:20 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I like to wash my car and not use a commercial car wash. To clean the wind screen you must pull the wipers out and away from the glass to effectively clean it. This cannot be done starting in gen 7 ES cars. You must turn off the car and within 55 seconds do a wipe with the wipers which place them upright on the windscreen. It is then possible to pull them off the glass. It is very advisable to shoot some glass cleaner onto the glass so that the wipers don't wipe a dry windscreen before using the wiper upright feature. Now here's the catch and stupid annoyance built in by the brain surgeons at Lexus... After you clean the glass and wipe it dry you must get the wipers to return to the rest position. So you replace them onto the glass, but wait a minute the glass is now dry. You must run them on a dry windscreen or again wet it so they don't scratch the glass. Stupid and a poor design. Lexus should have kept the system they had for gen 6 cars where the wipers could be moved up and away from the glass for cleaning. What BS...
Old 10-22-21, 03:41 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^it's the same as Camry, Corolla, Avalon too. Likely all TNGA models. I think it's just a general design of modern cars that have steeper windshields as well as improved aero. Wipers stcking up into the airstream are no bueno.

I'm a master detailer and I don't mind the wipers to be hidden. Looks spectacular that way. I'm ok with the draw backs. to leave the wipers sticking up looks like a cheap old rental car. So there will be drawbacks naturally as with anything good.
Old 10-22-21, 05:49 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Why not put the wipers in service position first before you proceed to clean?

The following 2 users liked this post by ionian:
nyuhsuk (05-24-22), Rarewolf (11-05-21)
Old 10-23-21, 05:14 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
Why not put the wipers in service position first before you proceed to clean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHQdAUgP2Jo
Doesn't matter... You still have to return them to the rest position AFTER the glass is clean AND DRY... I already complained and posted about this when I got the car so I'm not going on about it again. This thread is about annoyances and this is one of mine...
DonewithGM (01-03-22)
Old 10-23-21, 07:22 AM
ionian
Instructor

wipers are consumable items and for those looking to extend the life just apply some Nu Finish to the windshield and it will be smooth as butter for weeks.
Old 10-23-21, 08:13 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
wipers are consumable items and for those looking to extend the life just apply some Nu Finish to the windshield and it will be smooth as butter for weeks.
....actually, I've heard RainX and NuFinish types of stuff, screws up the operation of the auto sensing wipers. True?
Old 10-23-21, 08:58 AM
EV02is
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
....actually, I've heard RainX and NuFinish types of stuff, screws up the operation of the auto sensing wipers. True?
I never heard of this claim, however it’s been raining here in Cali and my car has rainx and I notice the wipers will never initially automatically wipe standing water when I first get in the car. I have to manually start it before it becomes functional.
Old 10-23-21, 10:00 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by EV02is
I notice the wipers will never initially automatically wipe standing water when I first get in the car. I have to manually start it before it becomes functional.
I have noticed this too.

Regarding the firm ride comment, this was the same observation/opinion from a number posters in the 6th Gen subforum as well. It seems the ride never quite meets some owners expectations. I’m pretty neutral on the ride myself - I wouldn’t curse it nor would I particularly praise it. It seems about the same as my 6th Gen ES, but this model has 18” wheels, versus the 17” rims on my last ES. Compared to our previous Prius or even our former NX, the ride is excellent.
Old 10-23-21, 05:52 PM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by EV02is
I notice the wipers will never initially automatically wipe standing water when I first get in the car. I have to manually start it before it becomes functional.
Same on my ES300h. Must be a Lexus thing?
Old 10-24-21, 05:21 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Lex Wannabe: This 7 gen is the product of many blunders in their design and execution. Negative comments bring out the things that Lexus needs to improve on, like their 8 speed transmission and faulty remote starts. And yes, Lexus needs to put a hang tag on the wiper stalk to alert people how to use this wiper feature. The wipers on the 7 gen should be the same as the 6 gen!!! I agree.
bc6152 (10-24-21)
Old 10-27-21, 03:25 PM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I would say the port where you plug you iphone/usb cable does not make sense as you cant close the nice wood lid and use the usb outlet at the same time.

go in your car and see the difference with the lid closed and opened. With the lid closed it compliments all of the other wood trim.

usb should be moved to the center storage or at least dropped down so the lid can be closed. bad design "visually", great design for functionality
The following 5 users liked this post by Dopamine99:
bc6152 (10-27-21), DavidZ (10-27-21), FTBoomer (01-04-22), Rarewolf (11-05-21), TXWJ (02-06-22)

Quick Reply: What quirks/annoyances do you have with the 7ES?