ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Anyone Purchase A 2022 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-22, 08:13 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by wmoor004
It seems that I am the only one that purchase my vehicles and hold on to them. I have never leased a vehicle.
You're not the only one. I not only have never leased a vehicle, I kept my last two for 17 years and 12 years respectively.

Glam, regarding your plan to sell after 3-1/2 years as mentioned in post #64, what you do is solely up to you; that's the beauty of democracy. But from an automotive perspective, I can make a helluva case against buying an ES 350 and then selling it in 3 years.

If you look at the most solid reliability/durability survey data available to consumers, the Consumer Reports owner surveys, Audis hold up beautifully for the first 4-5 years and then start to fall apart. Meanwhile, they're prettier, more modern and more tech-forward than any Lexus. The Germans also lease at more favorable rates than Lexus products do. If you buy and then sell a Lexus, you get the worst of all worlds: a car that's less advanced and poorer-performing now, without Lexus's main advantage of reliable long-term ownership that advances your personal finances by letting you out of payment jail and still having years of dependable service in it. (Ask me how I liked that in the Acura I just sold after Year 12.)

I remember you had Chrysler products that proved wretchedly unrelable for long-term ownership, but that's exactly why I didn't consider an initially appealing Chrysler 300 this time. After Year Three, a Lexus ES is a whole different animal. Again, entirely your call, but I have no intention of giving away those tenderloin years when the payments are over but this brilliantly solid, proven machine is just getting broken in.

Last edited by LexFinally; 05-19-22 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (05-19-22)
Old 05-19-22, 03:27 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
You're not the only one. I not only have never leased a vehicle, I kept my last two for 17 years and 12 years respectively.

Glam, regarding your plan to sell after 3-1/2 years as mentioned in post #64, what you do is solely up to you; that's the beauty of democracy. But from an automotive perspective, I can make a helluva case against buying an ES 350 and then selling it in 3 years.

If you look at the most solid reliability/durability survey data available to consumers, the Consumer Reports owner surveys, Audis hold up beautifully for the first 4-5 years and then start to fall apart. Meanwhile, they're prettier, more modern and more tech-forward than any Lexus. The Germans also lease at more favorable rates than Lexus products do. If you buy and then sell a Lexus, you get the worst of all worlds: a car that's less advanced and poorer-performing now, without Lexus's main advantage of reliable long-term ownership that advances your personal finances by letting you out of payment jail and still having years of dependable service in it. (Ask me how I liked that in the Acura I just sold after Year 12.)

I remember you had Chrysler products that proved wretchedly unrelable for long-term ownership, but that's exactly why I didn't consider an initially appealing Chrysler 300 this time. After Year Three, a Lexus ES is a whole different animal. Again, entirely your call, but I have no intention of giving away those tenderloin years when the payments are over but this brilliantly solid, proven machine is just getting broken in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0R-pCSOjpg
That is one of the reasons I lease. I save money and I don't have to be concerned about the long-term outcome for the car. Even on a 3 year lease I barely keep them over 2 years. I have always made a profit when selling my leased cars. I'm always going to want the advancements. That's just my prerogative. I still pay way under what someone that's making a purchase and locked into a 5 to 6 year loan. But I don't want to start up the buying versus leasing argument again. The peace of mind of not worrying about what might occur after so many years. The excitement of obtaining the new models. Every 1 to 2 years I turn-over my leases. I do so well on the front-end of the deals that when it comes time to sell and get a new car, it's such an easy process. I will NEVER be the guy that keeps his car for years. I love that flexibility. But selling a purchased vehicle with a 5-6 year loan after 3 years. and then expect to take the proceeds, if any, and start the buying process again. Makes NO sense. But do what you do if that's what you want.

For those that intend to keep their vehicles for years to come , I say more power to you. It's just a different mindset. Either way, we know what we want and no one will deter us from having just that.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 05-19-22 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 05:38 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0R-pCSOjpg
I’ve decided to purchase the ES350 Ultra Luxury and try to hold on to it for as long as possible. I’m going to purchase the 150,000 miles/10 year extended warranty and the 84 month wheel & tire warranty.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (05-19-22)