Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 06:49 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
not true, that is from the carcarenut.

You can use anything specified in the Australian and many overseas manual:

The only issue is the 10w-30 oil for cold starting below 0 F or -18 C.

And before anyone who jumps up and down and say their USA manual only says 0w-16, that is due to CAFE and has nothing to do with the actual engine.
The more videos I watch from the car care nut the less credible he sounds to me. I think at this point he's just creating content to grow his channel and make money.

I totally agree that 0w16 is solely for CAFE. But even the maintenance booklet scares you. It literally says that if you have to use a viscosity other than 0w16 in an emergency situation, to go back to 0w16 as soon as possible.
The following users liked this post:
ViktorG (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 06:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
The more videos I watch from the car care nut the less credible he sounds to me. I think at this point he's just creating content to grow his channel and make money.

I totally agree that 0w16 is solely for CAFE. But even the maintenance booklet scares you. It literally says that if you have to use a viscosity other than 0w16 in an emergency situation, to go back to 0w16 as soon as possible.
Only the user manual for the US use scare tactics. It’s not a recent thing, they started more than 10 years ago saying the same thing for 0w-20.i.e must use it at next oil change.

I know our local Lexus dealer (I’m not in the US) uses either 5w-30 or 0w-20 depending on the engine for all scheduled maintenance. Apart from like likes of ISF and GSF where they use 40 weight. Does not void warranty and meets the specs of our user manuals just fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
kingofire (01-05-22), ViktorG (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 08:07 PM
ViktorG
Driver

Received 191 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Viktor,

I follow this guy on youtube who is a master tech at toyota and he says that only 0w16 oil should be used and anything else can cause problems with the engine because it was designed to only use 0w16 oil. Is this true? I would like to use 0w20 or even 5w20 in this car. Its a 2021 ES300h
You will be fine using 0w20. If you live in a warm climate 5W20 will be fine too. Will consume marginally more fuel. Will not damage the engine either way.
kingofire (01-06-22)
Old 01-05-22, 09:47 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm not a thin oil guy. I believe that this is just for CAFE reasons. My belief has always been that in order to minimize wear always use a oil with HTHS of 3.5 or greater. The 0w16 has a HTHS that hovers around 2.6. There are many SAE articles that say that any viscosity below HTHS of 2.6 sees drastically increased wear. So for this reason alone I'm really not comfortable using 0w16.

You can be thick or thin oil guy, but that doesn’t change the fact that A25A-FXS is a 0W16 oil engine. It was made by Toyota, they know what they are doing so I am not thinking about beeing smarter than them.

One of the components that will not like thick oil is the variable oil pump.
kingofire (01-06-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:07 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LjeksesES

One of the components that will not like thick oil is the variable oil pump.
the pump is rated up to using 30 weight oil without an issue.
kingofire (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 06:54 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by ViktorG
You will be fine using 0w20. If you live in a warm climate 5W20 will be fine too. Will consume marginally more fuel. Will not damage the engine either way.
Awesome!! Thank you for confirming this!
Old 01-06-22, 09:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

The car must work for you, not the other way around. Don't lose sleep/thinking power etc trying to change things up and play mad scientist/engineer in your basement. This is what engineers get paid for. Toyotas and Lexuses are the height of "set it and forget it" type cars. They're the exact cars more so than any other brand you buy to just drive and relax.

The whole reason I gave up my extremely maintenance heavy BMWs for Lexus hybrids. I want a ZERO THINKING car. Get in and just drive =)

Oil viscosity on these cars are absolutely none of your business, nor should they be. Yeah if you want you can tweak this or that oil and likely be fine, but really, you're wasting your time. Don't waste your thoughts.
Old 01-06-22, 06:48 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
The car must work for you, not the other way around. Don't lose sleep/thinking power etc trying to change things up and play mad scientist/engineer in your basement. This is what engineers get paid for. Toyotas and Lexuses are the height of "set it and forget it" type cars. They're the exact cars more so than any other brand you buy to just drive and relax.

The whole reason I gave up my extremely maintenance heavy BMWs for Lexus hybrids. I want a ZERO THINKING car. Get in and just drive =)

Oil viscosity on these cars are absolutely none of your business, nor should they be. Yeah if you want you can tweak this or that oil and likely be fine, but really, you're wasting your time. Don't waste your thoughts.
Now you sound like Ron Popeil and his trade mark "set it and forget it". Well it's really not a zero thinking car because I know plenty of people doing 5000 mile oil changes in their Toyotas and lexuses with 0w20 and 0w16 that are having oil consumption issues. Because the thin oil is causing increased wear there is more blow by oil loss between piston rings and spark plugs. These people are pulling spark plugs and they are coated in soot and oil. So many tear downs on bobistheoilguy with these issues that I will not use 0w16 or 0w20 oil.
Old 01-06-22, 11:38 PM
Lead Lap

One must have an inquisitive mind to grow in knowledge and experience.

I don’t think its right to judge if someone is wasting their time or not. If someone wants to write a PhD thesis on HTHS and viscosity for the A25A engine then so be it. The world is better for it. In the software development world, real engineers listen to end user feedback and concerns and addresses them.

Last edited by 703; 01-07-22 at 01:07 AM.
hammerme (01-07-22)
Old 01-14-22, 01:50 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ViktorG
Hello again,
I am a Lexus Master Technician and I am creating a series of maintenance/repair tutorial videos covering the 2019-2022 Lexus ES300h models.
Here is my video showing how to replace the engine oil and filter on ES Hybrid models.
Please hit me up with suggestion on what other things you would like to see in the video comments.
Cheers!
Viktor
can you show how to remove the engine cover and what is underneath?

thanks and cheers
Old 01-14-22, 02:22 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
can you show how to remove the engine cover and what is underneath?

thanks and cheers
it snaps right off and volia - theres the engine!
Old 01-14-22, 02:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 703
One must have an inquisitive mind to grow in knowledge and experience.

I don’t think its right to judge if someone is wasting their time or not. If someone wants to write a PhD thesis on HTHS and viscosity for the A25A engine then so be it. The world is better for it. In the software development world, real engineers listen to end user feedback and concerns and addresses them.
These powertrains are used on taxi fleets on Camry hybrids all over Asia racking up 600k+ miles. The fleet techs eat their lunch, dump in what the factory tells them and move onto the next. Exactly what we need to do in our Ferraris.. i mean Toyotas.. i mean Lexuses.

I've been in and around actual track/race super high hp cars where you actually do benefit to some degree (even then its pushing it) by playing oil hipster. our grocery getters aren't those.

Toyota takes their reputation extremely seriously and you can bet they've done the secret studies based on secret internal data using the strongest supercomputers in the world on their bread and butter powertrain. Whatever you thought of, they thought of years in advance. The complexity of the entire package was already studied on a molecular level. Trust me bro-jerking your oil selection thinking you've got the answer to an even better oil viscosity is wasting your time and could quite possibly backfire on you.

Old 01-14-22, 03:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

These powertrains are used on taxi fleets on Camry hybrids all over Asia racking up 600k+ miles. The fleet techs eat their lunch, dump in what the factory tells them and move onto the next. Exactly what we need to do in our Ferraris.. i mean Toyotas.. i mean Lexuses.

I've been in and around actual track/race super high hp cars where you actually do benefit to some degree (even then its pushing it) by playing oil hipster. our grocery getters aren't those.

Toyota takes their reputation extremely seriously and you can bet they've done the secret studies based on secret internal data using the strongest supercomputers in the world on their bread and butter powertrain. Whatever you thought of, they thought of years in advance. The complexity of the entire package was already studied on a molecular level. Trust me bro-jerking your oil selection thinking you've got the answer to an even better oil viscosity is wasting your time and could quite possibly backfire on you.
Love it and those that bring their own oil to the shop🤣
Old 01-16-22, 12:14 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
it snaps right off and volia - theres the engine!
where and how exactly do I pull, I don’t want to break any latches lol they’re quite brittle being hot and cold all the time, I can tell that’s probably a close to $300 piece of plastic lol. And I don’t feel like reading the manual lol 😂. Help me out please.

I just want to check make sure no animal sleeping nest there, and do an engine bay details clean up. I wonder if there is any insulation underneath or just bare metal.
Old 01-16-22, 12:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by july1988
where and how exactly do I pull, I don’t want to break any latches lol they’re quite brittle being hot and cold all the time, I can tell that’s probably a close to $300 piece of plastic lol. And I don’t feel like reading the manual lol 😂. Help me out please.

I just want to check make sure no animal sleeping nest there, and do an engine bay details clean up. I wonder if there is any insulation underneath or just bare metal.
Search Youtube there are some videos out there at least for the GS. I think just pull up where you feel resistance probably on all four corners. Don't disturb the squirrel but not sure honestly why you want to pull it off if you don't have to work under there.