ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 02:01 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

My tires are filled with air, the pressure in them when cold is 35 psi, but after 30-40 minutes of driving the pressure goes to 38 psi. That would not happen in nitrogen filled tires.
Old 09-16-22, 03:06 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
My tires are filled with air, the pressure in them when cold is 35 psi, but after 30-40 minutes of driving the pressure goes to 38 psi. That would not happen in nitrogen filled tires.
Air is 78% nitrogen. Main reason for filling up with nitrogen is that it escapes slower "...nitrogen molecules are bigger than normal air molecules, it is harder for them to leak out."
"The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi.The results show that nitrogen does reduce pressure loss, but the reduction was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires over an entire year."
The following 3 users liked this post by Oldfart:
ATL350 (04-24-23), bc6152 (09-17-22), LexFinally (09-04-23)
Old 09-17-22, 05:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Air is 78% nitrogen. Main reason for filling up with nitrogen is that it escapes slower "...nitrogen molecules are bigger than normal air molecules, it is harder for them to leak out."
"The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi.The results show that nitrogen does reduce pressure loss, but the reduction was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires over an entire year."
Very interesting information. Shows very clearly that there is virtually no benefit to using Nitrogen in your tires... Except for the dealer who charges you an exorbitant fee. Thanks for the post...
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (09-04-23)
Old 09-17-22, 10:49 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts

I probably wouldn’t pay extra for it, but I would be interested in it more so if I had chrome wheels. A lot of the older Lexus Chrome wheels get really bad corrosion over time. Not sure how well the newer models will hold up. Only time will tell
Old 09-17-22, 11:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Temperature changes affect tire pressure

The manufacturer of your car specifies the optimal tire inflation pressure; these details are either in the vehicle handbook or inside the door on the driver’s side. Continental recommends a check on inflation pressure at least once every two weeks (and especially before embarking on a long car journey).

So where does nitrogen figure in the conversation? Well, the behavior of any gas is such that it expands when heated and contracts when cooled, and nowhere is this more evident than with the gases inside a tire.

The inflation pressure rises and falls according to changes in temperature; every 6 degrees Celsius results in a shift of almost 1 PSI (pound per square inch). For this reason, it’s better to check tire pressure early in the morning before the heat of the sun (or heat generated by driving) causes the temperature to increase. Cold air pressure readings are going to be more accurate.

In this scenario, nitrogen-filled tires are advantageous because nitrogen gas doesn’t support moisture or combustion. Compared with ambient air – which contains roughly 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, plus miscellaneous gases – pure nitrogen is an inert, non-flammable gas. Essentially, it’s dry air with the oxygen wholly removed.
Old 09-17-22, 11:16 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 867 Likes on 654 Posts

Enjoyed the "proof" of the value...race car teams use nitrogen in the race car tires...

The pit wall tank of compressed gas is used for the power tool when quick changing tires.
A tank with straight compressed air might contribute to a fire if ruptured so it is compressed nitrogen.
The use the same tank to fill the tires so... Nitrogen must be good for my street car because race cars use it!
Old 04-23-23, 03:19 PM
mj1pate
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you live around the equator with few if any seasons, nitrogen provides fewer seasonal benefits.
in the mid-Atlantic, we swing from the low 90’s in summer to low teens in winter. If you’re too busy to check your inflation around that first significant seasonal change of temp, it’ll cost you in tire wear if there’s atmospheric air in your tires.
My RX tires have nitrogen. The pressure is right around 33 year round. It matters. These tires are expensive.
BTW, just because we have alloy tires doesn’t mean our wheels don’t experience oxidation or some sort of atmospheric reaction at the outside of our wheels, particularly with salty water/ice on the roads. Nitrogen means there’s no reaction starting from the inside.
Old 04-23-23, 03:48 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Much ado about nothing...

Shakespeare 1599...
Old 04-23-23, 06:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152

Shakespeare 1599...
Hearing Judge Judy laughing hysterically 🤣🤣
Old 04-24-23, 06:40 AM
mj1pate
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bc6152

Shakespeare 1599...
of course, to each his/her own.
naturally, for old aluminum wheels. Putting anything in besides atmospheric means topping off with expensive air regularly.
Old 04-24-23, 06:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mj1pate
of course, to each his/her own.
naturally, for old aluminum wheels. Putting anything in besides atmospheric means topping off with expensive air regularly.
We have bigger temp swings in northern NJ than you do in MD. The first cold swing, I head over to the FREE air pump and top off the tires on both of our cars. Really not a big deal but great if you find the nitrogen a worthy investment..
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (04-24-23), Freds430 (04-24-23)
Old 04-24-23, 10:46 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We have bigger temp swings in northern NJ than you do in MD. The first cold swing, I head over to the FREE air pump and top off the tires on both of our cars. Really not a big deal but great if you find the nitrogen a worthy investment..
As someone mentioned in Celsius but for every 10° drop in temperature you lose a pound per tire pressure. So you think about in the summer when the average temperature might be 80 and the winners 40 that's 4 lb that you lose in your tires. I have a lot of friends in those first couple cold weeks in the winter will text me and say my tire pressure warning light came on. I tell them this fact and need to pump up your tires. Mike as you stated no problem for me I use a bicycle pump that every 14 pumps is a pound.
Old 04-24-23, 05:14 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mj1pate
If you live around the equator with few if any seasons, nitrogen provides fewer seasonal benefits.
in the mid-Atlantic, we swing from the low 90’s in summer to low teens in winter. If you’re too busy to check your inflation around that first significant seasonal change of temp, it’ll cost you in tire wear if there’s atmospheric air in your tires.
My RX tires have nitrogen. The pressure is right around 33 year round. It matters. These tires are expensive.
BTW, just because we have alloy tires doesn’t mean our wheels don’t experience oxidation or some sort of atmospheric reaction at the outside of our wheels, particularly with salty water/ice on the roads. Nitrogen means there’s no reaction starting from the inside.
Air that you breathe is 80% nitrogen. If you go with 100% nitrogen (which is impossible) you are only changing 1/5 of the total value. Think about it, only 1/5th.
Old 04-24-23, 05:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
As someone mentioned in Celsius but for every 10° drop in temperature you lose a pound per tire pressure. So you think about in the summer when the average temperature might be 80 and the winners 40 that's 4 lb that you lose in your tires. I have a lot of friends in those first couple cold weeks in the winter will text me and say my tire pressure warning light came on. I tell them this fact and need to pump up your tires. Mike as you stated no problem for me I use a bicycle pump that every 14 pumps is a pound.
I mean that's precisely why we have TPMS systems. I also store an electric pump in the trunk which I almost never use because the local Quikchek has two FREE airpumps with digital set points.
Old 04-25-23, 06:06 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Very simple: You press a button on your dash to see what your tire pressure is. If it's low you find a local Quikcheck with a free pump to level it off. I find that my tires change pressure by about + or - 1 pound. So I don't worry... And I'm not sure but I think that the TPMS will notify the driver if the pressure goes too low. I put 78% Nitrogen into my tires...

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires