ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Should I buy an Extended Warrantee for 2022 ES 300h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 12:25 PM
SunilP
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I buy an Extended Warrantee for 2022 ES 300h?

Hi, me again! I'm really grateful for all the experience and help on this forum. As stated in another post I have a new 2022 ES 300h UL. This is my first Hybrid and I have not owned a Lexus since 1994.
Should I get an extended warrantee for this car? The factory warrantee seems pretty robust, 100K and 150K on the Hybrid systems. Anyone thoughts on reliability, and longevity (of the electronic system especially). A decent warrantee to 8 - 10 years, 125K or 150K "bumper to bumper" ranges about $1600 - 2100. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sunil
Old 01-15-22, 12:27 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

I would not. These cars are rock solid.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (01-17-22)
Old 01-15-22, 12:32 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I've never paid for an extended warranty on anything and have never regretted it. My answer is NO. Think of how much money I've saved by not falling for that scam. My understanding is that about half the cost is pure profit.
LexFinally (01-17-22)
Old 01-15-22, 12:37 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

No. No extended warranty. This has been covered numerous times previously. Do a search of posts regarding extended warranties and you'll find a lot of information.
LexFinally (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 07:02 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

I bought it on my RX. After the warranty expiry my engine water pump started leaking and there was also oil leak. Those 2 repairs under the extended warranty paid for the warranty and more.

I look at it as insurance. Hoping never having to use it, but in case we do.
Old 01-16-22, 08:47 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I look at it as insurance.
I look at not buying it as self-insurance. Like raising the deductible on your car or home insurance policy.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
bc6152 (01-16-22), LexFinally (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:30 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Another consideration (beyond self insuring) is that Roadside Assistance is also included in these plans, beyond your basic warranty period.

This will / can offset normal AAA membership fees.

Generally speaking Lexus and even most Toyota products are very reliable.
Old 01-16-22, 09:58 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SunilP
Hi, me again! I'm really grateful for all the experience and help on this forum. As stated in another post I have a new 2022 ES 300h UL. This is my first Hybrid and I have not owned a Lexus since 1994.
Should I get an extended warrantee for this car? The factory warrantee seems pretty robust, 100K and 150K on the Hybrid systems. Anyone thoughts on reliability, and longevity (of the electronic system especially). A decent warrantee to 8 - 10 years, 125K or 150K "bumper to bumper" ranges about $1600 - 2100. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sunil
I’d say get it for $2000 to get a peace of mind, too damn many electrical, electronic and computer-driven parts in the new cara nowadays, any of those failed and you’re out of warranty, the repair cost for 1 of them will def. exceed $2000, so I’d say get it, especially you have hybrid system, more complexity added as well.

I recently has some “sensors and parking/brake system issues” that seem like only dealer can diagnose and fix, I imagine it costs thousands out of pocket if warranty doesn’t cover. Modern cars are not just engine, powertrain and frame anymore, the whole computer based and chip-based driven electronic parts are involved, your car will failed if any one of them failed, even your reliable engine and transmission are still rock solid.

$2000 for a peace of mind for 10 years, that’s $0.55 per day for 3650 days, can you afford that 😅

Old 01-16-22, 10:14 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SunilP

Thanks
Sunil
Hi Sunil,
Congrats, great car and configuration!

I would not buy it. A big reason of why we all have gone to lexus is for the brand's reliability right? If buying a BMW, Mercedes, and planning to keep a long time, then for sure this is a consideration of extended warranty. But for lexus ESh I would generally say no need for extended warranty,

Mine is a 2016 ES300h, now with 68,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, I have had ZERO problems with anything so far, except for one door lock actuator that went out in year 3, so was covered under warranty. I literally have not paid for anything other than routine service items. And, as you will see, brake pads even last a long time. I have not needed to replace them so far!

Other than things like the door locks, we know that overall reliability of Lexus, mechanically, under the hood and otherwise, is excellent. Even if things like door locks fail after warranty is up, its not a big deal to pay for. You have mentioned the excellent hybrid warranty coverage. Other posters on the forum have mentioned having their hybrids well past the warranty , often without problems. But there will eventually be some risks once the hybrid warranty is up, and battery is aging if you keep the car that long. Then again, some choose to just take it as it comes with no extra warranty, and then pay these costs to hybrid system when they arise, if they are going to keep the car forever. Lexus and Toyota have been doing the hybrid thing for a long time. Many Prius users keep their cars for a very long time without extended coverage.

So I would say not worry about going longer than the regular bumper to bumper warranty without coverage . As for the hybrid warranty coverage mileage/age - The question you may want to ask yourself is whether you plan to keep the car signficantly longer than the hybrid warranty or not..... One option is to plan to trade in the car before that time, then no worries!

Old 01-17-22, 02:20 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If you decide to get an extended warranty, which I got for my 07 RX350 and my 17 ES 350, go to Jerry Johnson at MidWest Toyota at Jerry Johnson

620-664-8844

Jerry Johnson <jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com>
Old 01-17-22, 05:10 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Many other manufacturers I would but not a Lexus but in the end you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. Lexus is #1 in reliability both by Consumer Reports and J D Power. J D Power has had lexus #1 ten times in the last eleven years. The year they were not they fell all the way to #2. J D Power reflects by owners feedback that the ES is the most reliable vehicle in their long history they have ever surveyed. On our second on and both have had zero problems.
Old 01-17-22, 10:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Those are in the rip-off/snake-oil category for me as is full PPF, "sEcUrItY sYsTeM," tiRe ProTecTioN PackAge" etc etc. the kinds of things finance tries to goad you into buying before you leave the dealer with your new car.

Maybe in 1987 when reliability was hit or miss. but today all cars are good enough.
bc6152 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 01:32 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

From Consumer Reports recent (11/18/2021) Article on Brand Reliability:

Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota are once again the most reliable brands in our annual auto reliability brand rankings, with just a slight reshuffling that saw Lexus earn the top spot and Toyota slide to number three. This year the top five are rounded out by Infiniti, which saw a significant improvement in reliability, and Buick, which moved one spot to number five this year.

Our predicted reliability score is calculated on a 0-to-100-point scale, with the average rating falling between 41 and 60 points. For a brand to be ranked, we must have sufficient survey data for two or more models.

Asian automakers are still leading reliability by a wide margin with an overall reliability average of 62 for the region. European nameplates are in second place, but trailing 18 points at 44. Although domestic brands score last, with an average of 42 across all vehicles, U.S.-based automakers had some individual standout models.
Top-ranking domestic-branded vehicles that include the Buick Envision; Chevrolet Trailblazer; Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD and its twin, the GMC Sierra 2500HD; Chrysler 300; and Ford Bronco Sport, Mustang Mach-E, and Ranger.Overall by category, cars—which includes sedans, hatchbacks, wagons, coupes, and convertibles—are most reliable, with an average predicted reliability score of 57. SUVs follow in second place with an average score of 50, while pickups and minivans both average 43.

That said, domestic automakers buck this trend, with their SUVs and pickups proving more reliable than their cars, scoring 45 and 41 respectively. In contrast, domestic cars average a slightly lower score of 38.

There are interesting insights with the reliability within electrified models this year: Compact hybrids and plug-in models are the top-scoring category, with above average overall reliability for all models. Some of the top-performing cars in this category are the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.

On the other hand, all-electric SUVs are the lowest-ranking category, with an overall reliability of below average. A popular belief is that because electric models have fewer drive components there is less that can go wrong. However, automakers continue to add new technology to these advanced models, beyond the powertrains, particularly the luxury models such as the Audi E-Tron and Tesla Model X. Members often report more problems with their in-car electronics and power equipment than with the electric drivetrain.

Among the top five brands, Lexus stands out because all of its models have average or better reliability this year, led by the long-running GX SUV, which is tied with the Chevrolet Trailblazer as the most reliable vehicle this year.

Similarly, all Mazda models scored above average except for the Mazda3, which, like last year, has average reliability.
Many Toyota models are impressive, such as the RAV4 Prime and Venza, which both have well-above-average reliability. But the brand dropped this year due in part to the below-average reliability of the Corolla Hatchback, and the RAV4, Sienna, and Tacoma, which all came in as average.

Infiniti benefits from the Q50 sedan’s continued strong reliability and improvements by the QX50.

Buick is the most reliable domestic brand. Its new Envision is so reliable that it tops the Luxury Compact SUV class. Only the three-row Enclave shows reliability concerns, dropping to below average this year.
Old 01-17-22, 04:08 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
...Maybe in 1987 when reliability was hit or miss. but today all cars are good enough.
No I gotta disagree with you there. I traded my Tesla in for a Lexus because I had the mobile mechanic come to my house FIVE TIMES IN ONE YEAR! I fuc*ing had it with that car and company. EV being no maintenance was horse excrement, at least with the two I owned.

As for Lexus and most manufacturers, yes reliability is light years ahead of 1980's Hyundai, GM, etc. Tesla comes in dead last basically on reliability ratings these days.
Freds430 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:40 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Echoing the other comments here, the most accurate way to think about an extended warranty is as an insurance policy against repair costs. Like any insurance product, it is priced so that, on average, the seller will make a profit by collecting more in premiums, from all the buyers combined, than will be paid out in benefits.

So from a purely financial perspective, as with any other insurance policy, the logical answer is: If you can afford the worst thing that can happen without it, you're better off without it than with it.

Now, I do understand there are perspectives other than the financial — "peace of mind" being one of them. But even if that's the issue, the suggestion of setting aside a fund for yourself rather than donating the money up front to an insurance company and car dealership gives you that. And if you didn't turn out to need it, you get to take back the money afterward!

Quick Reply: Should I buy an Extended Warrantee for 2022 ES 300h?