ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 Base stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22 | 04:46 AM
Khart77
Driver School Candidate

Default 2022 Base stereo Question

Hello - I know this is a repeat from threads I have seen regarding the 2019 ES. I have searched in this forum and others and really see no mention of possible Low rear sound bias stereo issue on the 2022 ES 350. I have been leasing ES 350's now for 12 years and the 2022 is my 4th one. The Stereo sound in this model is by far the worst I have ever heard. . The issue being little to no sound from the back. .
I know it has been discussed many times in past so will not go to the details. I am just wondering if people with the 2022 ES model base stereo are seeing same problem. I know there is a TSB out for the 2019 model that some people say fixed the issue and some say it did not do much. I also see where others state this is the way Lexus intended it to sound, and that with the type of rear speaker configuration in the car it will never sound good.
I plan to mention it when I bring the car in for it's first maintenance but figured to ask on this forum. Do not believe Lexus would even look at a TSB for a 2019 model when car is a 2022. Also not even sure Lexus will do anything if they say this is how it was intended to sound.
I only listen to Satellite radio so assume my audio source input should be O.K. I am not an audiophile so not looking for perfection but was expecting the system to be as good or better then the other cars I have had.. Apologize for the repeat posting but have not seen anything mentioning the 2022 ES 350. My previous car was the 2017 ES 350 which did not have this issue.

Last edited by Khart77; 01-16-22 at 04:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Khart77:
k9bob (04-03-22), zoltar (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22 | 06:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

You've pretty much covered what all the complaints were stated. I don't think anything has changed since 2019 MY as far as the configuration of the speakers and a lack of sound in the rear. You are correct in that there were many complaints about not only the base system, but the ML system as well. Be thankful that you didn't pay the exorbitant price for the ML system. I haven't heard on this forum or otherwise, that there is any current fix for either system.
Old 01-16-22 | 03:21 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Every new car I’ve had in the last 5 years has this exact issue. Accord, Camry, UX, IS, and ES have all been plagued by the little to no sound from the rear speakers.
Old 01-16-22 | 06:16 PM
kingofire
Advanced

I don't have that issue with the rear speakers with the ML system. Plenty of rear speaker output when I fade it all the way to the rear. When I turn on the 3D stereo sound on my moto G one phone, it transforms the speakers into amazing surround sound.
Old 01-17-22 | 01:37 AM
Rileybear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Khart77
Hello - I know this is a repeat from threads I have seen regarding the 2019 ES. I have searched in this forum and others and really see no mention of possible Low rear sound bias stereo issue on the 2022 ES 350. I have been leasing ES 350's now for 12 years and the 2022 is my 4th one. The Stereo sound in this model is by far the worst I have ever heard. . The issue being little to no sound from the back. .
I know it has been discussed many times in past so will not go to the details. I am just wondering if people with the 2022 ES model base stereo are seeing same problem. I know there is a TSB out for the 2019 model that some people say fixed the issue and some say it did not do much. I also see where others state this is the way Lexus intended it to sound, and that with the type of rear speaker configuration in the car it will never sound good.
I plan to mention it when I bring the car in for it's first maintenance but figured to ask on this forum. Do not believe Lexus would even look at a TSB for a 2019 model when car is a 2022. Also not even sure Lexus will do anything if they say this is how it was intended to sound.
I only listen to Satellite radio so assume my audio source input should be O.K. I am not an audiophile so not looking for perfection but was expecting the system to be as good or better then the other cars I have had.. Apologize for the repeat posting but have not seen anything mentioning the 2022 ES 350. My previous car was the 2017 ES 350 which did not have this issue.
Agreed, my 2022 ES350 F Sport with base system is terrible! My 2011 and 2018 ES350s are and were much better. Still have the 2011. I would pay if there was a solution…right now I put treble and mid on high but still disappointing.
The following users liked this post:
k9bob (04-03-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 03:51 AM
Khart77
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the replies. It is appreciated. Disappointing that the sound system is that bad. End of day it would not have been a deal breaker on the lease for me even if I knew before hand. Just would have been nice if sound was at very least the same as I had on the 2017 ES. _Thanks Again.
Rileybear (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 08:30 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

There is always a solution it just depends on how much you’re willing to pay for the solution. A good audio control amplifier with built-in DSP would solve all our problems. It would sum the front and rear speakers together and distribute that output evenly but amplified and our fader should still work. I would need to do some research to figure out how many channels the bass system is but the D 1200 would likely work perfect but you’re going to pay $1200 just for the amp and you would still need to install it all.

Rileybear (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 11:21 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Volume does not equal quality. Most people confuse loudness with sound quality.

I only paid $900 for the ML system, that's a steal IMO!

The following 2 users liked this post by kalel2127:
hammerme (01-17-22), wmoor004 (01-20-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 01:38 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Volume does not equal quality. Most people confuse loudness with sound quality.

I only paid $900 for the ML system, that's a steal IMO!
these days to get the Mark Livingston Soundsystem you’re paying for a package that includes it which is closer to $2500
Rileybear (01-18-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 07:47 PM
landonm86
Driver

The first time my spouse rode in my car in the passenger seat, he said, “Do the back speakers not work at all? I don’t hear anything.” I had to agree, unfortunately.

Of course, everyone hears sound differently due to age and various other factors, but below is the setup I have found that provides the optimal listening experience for both the front and rear passengers.

Firstly, direct the fader back to the rear approximately halfway, so it’s between the default center and completely to the rear. This will give a more natural feel to those who are seeking a more balanced sound that isn’t as front biased.

Next, in the equalizer settings, adjust the treble and mid most of the way to the top (+) end, and the bass the same direction a few notches, or most of the way to the top if more bass is desired. If all three settings are in the default (dead-center), the music tends to sound flat and a bit lifeless. The perfect balance depends on the genre of music, but I’ve found this seems to sound best to me and my passengers.

When the balance is directed more to the rear, the overall listening volume may need to be increased slightly; I find listening to music through CarPlay at about volume level 25-30 to bring out the best in the music with these settings.

These simple tweaks have changed the audio in my ES from sounding thin and awkward to being one of the best music experiences I’ve witnessed.

Last edited by landonm86; 01-17-22 at 07:51 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by landonm86:
Rileybear (01-18-22), stanturk (05-05-23), wmoor004 (01-20-22), zoltar (01-17-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 05:18 AM
Rileybear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dallas250
these days to get the Mark Livingston Soundsystem you’re paying for a package that includes it which is closer to $2500

True and what the smart guy with the “Batman meme” above doesn’t understand obviously, LOL! Also, I’m working for the military overseas and Lexus only sends US specs they have leftover so we don’t get the option of choosing packages, etc… We take what we get and it’s even more limited with the global chip shortage.
Old 01-18-22 | 08:39 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rileybear
True and what the smart guy with the “Batman meme” above doesn’t understand obviously, LOL! Also, I’m working for the military overseas and Lexus only sends US specs they have leftover so we don’t get the option of choosing packages, etc… We take what we get and it’s even more limited with the global chip shortage.
That was true even in the US before the pandemic unless you wanted to wait months for a special order. When I bought my 2019 ES in Aug 2019 the choice was base, luxury, F, or hybrid. There were no ULs in my area. There were some minor options that varied, but not the big packages. I would have preferred the moonroof, but since I wanted the ML and nav, I had to take the pano. Today, I would skip the nav, but I don't think that's available on the lots if you want the ML audio.
Old 01-18-22 | 08:40 AM
Khart77
Driver School Candidate

I actually did want a car with the ML system but there was nothing available at time I was looking to lease the car. All they had was base with Premium Package. I was lucky enough to get one with navigation. I really could not wait since had to have a car and old lease was expiring and Lexus would not grant me another extension. Dealer also had told me if there was a car available it would be more then the 4k over MSRP they were already charging me. Maybe I deserve the slap in the face for paying 4k over MSRP. So much for that Lexus Customer Loyalty
However I do see people with ML systems unhappy as well. I assume it is all about how it sounds to you. Some like it and some do not.
Old 01-18-22 | 08:56 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Khart77
I actually did want a car with the ML system but there was nothing available at time I was looking to lease the car. All they had was base with Premium Package. I was lucky enough to get one with navigation. I really could not wait since had to have a car and old lease was expiring and Lexus would not grant me another extension. Dealer also had told me if there was a car available it would be more then the 4k over MSRP they were already charging me. Maybe I deserve the slap in the face for paying 4k over MSRP. So much for that Lexus Customer Loyalty
Did you consider buying the car at the end of the lease? You probably could have paid a lot less that it was worth.

However I do see people with ML systems unhappy as well. I assume it is all about how it sounds to you. Some like it and some do not.
The ML system is a true audiophile system. One reviewer said that it may be the best system available in any car. The problem is that most people only listen to low quality music sources (FM, Sirius XM, various low quality streaming services). The ML system will actually sound worse than other systems with these music sources because it reveals their flaws.
Old 01-18-22 | 09:19 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rileybear
If only there was a simple solution to your problem, oh that's right there is but it's easier to complain about your dissatisfaction on a forum. How about doing some research and creating a new thread on how you "fixed" the problem?

Quick Reply: 2022 Base stereo Question