ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2021 ES 300H MPG Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 10:41 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I came across this article this morning. It is about the reduced available range in extreme cold weather with all-electric vehicles, but much of what it talks about would also apply to hybrids and plug-in hybrids.

https://news.yahoo.com/cold-hard-tru...103037566.html
Old 03-10-22, 02:51 PM
cruzad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting estimated epa

Hi all sorry if this has been answered.

I have a 2019 es300h and online it says it can get an estimated range of about 580 miles give or take.

I can get around 475 ish till the gaslight turns on. I don't drive too fast and usually cruise on the freeway around the '70s. I drive on eco mode mostly as well.

I know the weather can decrease the range by a bit, but I live in California and it gets to around high 30s low 40s in the morning but gets to around 65 during the day.

Is there anything else that may be affecting why I get that type of mileage?

Thank you!

Old 03-10-22, 03:11 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I find that turning HVAC off reduces my has consumption as well as really smooth acceleration.

In moderate winter weather (for us) around 32 degrees F i get around 45 mpg with HVAC turned on on Highway, sometimes. I find that when the engine warms up warm air Comes on as well as the heated seat and steering wheel.

Worn HVAC on same weather i get around 39 mpg
In spring, fall and summer i get around 52 mpg.
The following users liked this post:
cruzad (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22, 06:00 PM
cruzad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, i'll give that a try!
Old 03-10-22, 11:31 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I find that turning HVAC off reduces my has consumption as well as really smooth acceleration.

In moderate winter weather (for us) around 32 degrees F i get around 45 mpg with HVAC turned on on Highway, sometimes. I find that when the engine warms up warm air Comes on as well as the heated seat and steering wheel.

Worn HVAC on same weather i get around 39 mpg
In spring, fall and summer i get around 52 mpg.

52 MPG with the AC on or off?
Old 03-11-22, 01:38 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
You're the perfect driver! The highest driver pulse score I managed to get one time was 95. I kind of "gamed" the system but driving around couple of nearby developments putting down a mile each trip at low speed for like 10 days heh. Under normally driving conditions I don't think I can go higher than 84 as my overall score without having a lobotomy.
I have less than 300 miles on the car. Can you tell my last car was an Audi…..lol

Old 03-11-22, 05:13 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

You're doing better than me from the start. My score was much lower initially.
Moorekx (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 07:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

One of the problems with people complaining of or talking about fuel mileage is it requires nuance and knowledge to discuss properly. How do you even know you are coming to the right conclusions?

Let me break this down for you a bit.

By your assumptions, you are implying the tank is empty when "the light comes on." It's not. You have anywhere from 1-2 gallons remaining reserve. There is a buffer.

The car has a 13.2 gallon tank

475/11.2 (assuming a two gallon reserve when "the light comes on") = 42.4mpg which would put you squarely in real world territory.

Ok lets be a bit harsher. Say you have one gallon remaining, that puts you at 38.93. That's still acceptable.

Keep in mind too if you have the NIMH battery pack which people say the 2019 models do, that's more reason for a little bit less mileage.

So all in all you're in normal territory. Mileage per tank is nothing you should be looking at, yet calculated miles per gallon during fill-ups, averaged over several fill-ups, over time.

Originally Posted by cruzad
Hi all sorry if this has been answered.

I have a 2019 es300h and online it says it can get an estimated range of about 580 miles give or take.

I can get around 475 ish till the gaslight turns on. I don't drive too fast and usually cruise on the freeway around the '70s. I drive on eco mode mostly as well.

I know the weather can decrease the range by a bit, but I live in California and it gets to around high 30s low 40s in the morning but gets to around 65 during the day.

Is there anything else that may be affecting why I get that type of mileage?

Thank you!
dklanecky1 (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 10:08 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by sykr0n

A 300h would’ve have likely been great for mileage, but I couldn’t handle the jerk.
There is zero jerk. You must have driven something faulty.
Old 03-14-22, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

There's a slight jerk if you drive like a jerk. lol. he's probably taking about the ICE kick on. it will "jerk" a bit only if you floor it from a stop as the EV starts you off and car notices you're demanding 100% acceleration so kicks on the ICE instantly.

If you're driving normally, the ice seamlessly and gracefully blends in as the power rolls on. there's absolutely nothing felt.

With the old hybrids (Prius, CT200h), there'd be a jerk at all speeds, all takeoff types.

besides w/ the V6 model, there's other jerks like transmission jerks from a stepped transmission upshift/downshift. so with ICE cars, be prepared for some kind of jerk!

want completely smooth, there's EV.
Old 03-14-22, 09:17 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

My 300h sometimes wants to jerk when ICE turns off and sometimes the idle is really bad.
Old 03-14-22, 04:57 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Interesting. I don't have the issues you described here with my 300h. I am betting the "jerk" that people described here isn't any where like "mule kick" the new Subaru with its start/stop engine:

Old 03-15-22, 12:18 AM
LexNL
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Mileage per tank is nothing you should be looking at, yet calculated miles per gallon during fill-ups, averaged over several fill-ups, over time.
That's why I appreciate websites like the German site www.spritmonitor.de. Car owners register their car and every fill-up, so you get an overview of real fuel consumption of a car over time. You will also notice differences in fuel consumption (even with one specific car), which can have several causes (driving profile, temperature, right foot behaviour etc.). Unfortunately, there are only few registrations at spritmonitor.de for the ES 300h, because the car is only available since 2019, and it is still rarely seen on German and Dutch roads. The IS 300h however is well represented. US people have to convert the liters/100 km to MPG. Perhaps such a website also exists within the US, but I don't know.

Greetings from the Netherlands.
Old 03-15-22, 09:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Fuel is costly - I get it especially now (although oil is down today around $95/barrel) but this obsession with MPG - that I don't get. Just me. My ES averages around 25 mpg throughout my routine driving including the daily commute - straight highway runs well over 30. It's good enough for me without sacrificing ride quality to an upside down lunchbox. Maybe a hybrid eventually for my wife - yes maybe - she does plenty of local driving and the RX is definitely not efficient for that. We'll see what the next next gen has to offer in that regard.
Old 03-15-22, 10:37 AM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Fuel is costly - I get it especially now (although oil is down today around $95/barrel) but this obsession with MPG - that I don't get. Just me. My ES averages around 25 mpg throughout my routine driving including the daily commute - straight highway runs well over 30. It's good enough for me without sacrificing ride quality to an upside down lunchbox. Maybe a hybrid eventually for my wife - yes maybe - she does plenty of local driving and the RX is definitely not efficient for that. We'll see what the next next gen has to offer in that regard.
Agreed! I was totally set to go hybrid in December but the test drive with the sluggish feeling, braking, and cornering was too much and had to stick with a V6. Hopefully 8th Gen does offer a more balanced experience/better HP

Quick Reply: 2021 ES 300H MPG Issues