ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Rear LED "light bar" accessory

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 03:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Looks cool in theory, though the misalignment (you can see on the left side the lights don't line up) would drive me nuts. also the added "lip" or bulk by the piece sticking out. whats the top metal like? looking straight down at the metal?

This is one of those things that seems cool at night when lit up, but the actual hardware/plastics etc would stick out visually during daylight, though i'd reserve full judgment until i see it in person or better pics appear. is there any way to disable the red blinker sweeps? they don't match the amber turn signal and overall character seems off. if it were me i'd just let the amber turn signal be the sole turn signal if there's a way to disable it from sweeping.
Old 07-25-22, 07:17 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by veeinc
I fixed it. Just needed to splice into the yellow turn signal wire.
I also didn't need to run the red power wire. The LED worked just fine without it.
Here's an updated video https://youtu.be/SN_qEhMyyDI
Good job. Now we need an install video!
Old 07-26-22, 05:47 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Looks cool in theory, though the misalignment (you can see on the left side the lights don't line up) would drive me nuts. also the added "lip" or bulk by the piece sticking out. whats the top metal like? looking straight down at the metal?
That missalignment is stopping me from buying it.
The following users liked this post:
r1supersta (02-10-23)
Old 07-26-22, 08:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

I'm sure if he worked on it, he could shave/shim it or something to align it? but i'd need to see it closer.

Did you guys get the sweeper mirror turn signals like I did in early 2021 (January or Feb I think)? Mine are still working great--I transferred to my second ESh. I know there's a second version out today which has nicer sweeps. (I think they sweep in both directions or something when you unlock the car) i forget.
Old 07-26-22, 11:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Where you got them from?
Old 07-26-22, 11:29 AM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
That looks Awesome!

Was it as hard to install as you thought that it'd be? Did you have to splice all the connection wires to install it?

Thanks in advance!
It was only difficult because I wasn't familiar with disassembling the trunk and existing taillights. It took me about 4 hours to complete the install the first time. Now that I have experience, I could probably do it again in less than an hour.
It was mostly plug & play. I only had to splice into the yellow wire on the right light to get the signal to work. You can see the difference in the videos I uploaded (night vs. day).
I could've spliced into the reverse light to activate the animation for this, but I didn't want that function. I also didn't connect the red wire to the battery. I think this would support the animation when I shut the car off.

A couple of things to note... The stock chrome bar has 6 bolts, but the LED bar only has 5 bolts. You are supposed to use the hole from the missing bolt to fish the cables through the trunk. To make this weather proof, I used caulk to seal the hole.
The lights above the right/left taillights also have wires that will need to be fished through the existing rubber grommets. This requires you to cut a hole in the rubber, but you can seal this with caulk.
FreddyG (02-05-23)
Old 07-26-22, 11:33 AM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ionian
Good job. Now we need an install video!
Sorry ionian. I didn't think to record myself installing the light.
I might take things apart again to better align the left light. If I do, I'll try to take some pictures.
If anyone has questions while trying to install this, I'll be happy to help them.
FreddyG (02-05-23)
Old 07-26-22, 11:36 AM
veeinc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT

This is one of those things that seems cool at night when lit up, but the actual hardware/plastics etc would stick out visually during daylight, though i'd reserve full judgment until i see it in person or better pics appear. is there any way to disable the red blinker sweeps? they don't match the amber turn signal and overall character seems off. if it were me i'd just let the amber turn signal be the sole turn signal if there's a way to disable it from sweeping.
I think the sweeping blinker can be disabled by disconnecting the yellow wire from the connector.
Old 01-31-23, 03:45 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

I have ordered this accessory. Can you share where the wires go to exactly?
Old 02-02-23, 10:47 PM
veeinc
Pit Crew

HI LS500Fan.

For my installation, there was a clip that attached inline with the left tail light harness. This powered the lightbar and the left turn signal.
The only other thing I needed to do was splice the yellow wire from the right turn signal to the lightbar.

There were other wires for the reverse lights and battery, but I didn't connect these.

Your light bar should come with some instructions (hopefully better than mine), but let me know if you need any help.
Old 02-03-23, 06:22 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

Just curious and I don't know if this has been asked, but when you do this sort of installation, could it cause a problem with the warranty if something goes wrong with, say, the electrical system? It seems I recall most have provisions barring "modifications" though that's never actually spelled out.
Old 02-03-23, 08:33 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Just curious and I don't know if this has been asked, but when you do this sort of installation, could it cause a problem with the warranty if something goes wrong with, say, the electrical system? It seems I recall most have provisions barring "modifications" though that's never actually spelled out.
Yes, if the affected part under warranty was directly caused by the modification. If you look up Magnuson_Moss Act, it will explain it better than I can.

Example: If you do this rear light bar mod on your car and the window switch goes out, it's still covered under warranty. Now, if you splice into the yellow wire going to the turn signal and the tail light fails, they could probably void that part of the warranty. Each dealer is different though and some might let it slide. Our dealer seems like it will go out of its way to try to find a way to void a warranty claim.

Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware) comes to my mind.

Wiki_Magnuson_Moss Act................

The following 3 users liked this post by FreddyG:
ATL350 (02-03-23), BBQapple (02-08-23), F3Woody (02-03-23)
Old 02-08-23, 02:43 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

My light bar accessory arrived, but they sent me black when I had ordered silver (chrome). So while I wait to hear back from the guy in China I decided to look at the wiring and figure things out. Some of the stickers that were on the wires fell off so I don't know for sure if I have this laid out right. I used Google Translate on the little stickers but that was only helpful for one or two of them.

Did you put the main power "box" behind the left tail light? My pic shows the little box by the left light, then the longer wires run to the trunk and to the right tail. All the wire colors match up except for one wire from the centre light bar to the wiring harness there. I'm pretty lost LOL but I'm trying to figure it out on my own. I got this far and I'm stumped. I even started my own diagram on paper but I messed that up ha ha.

The only other possibility that I can think is the main power 'box" goes under the trunk lid but I don't think the wiring works for that.

Also, when you say splicing for the turn signal wires, do you just mean you plug in the in-line double connector things shown below? One by the left and one right, with the white male/female connectors.

<pic moved to next page of discussion>

Last edited by LS500Fan; 02-11-23 at 12:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
BBQapple (02-08-23), FreddyG (02-09-23)
Old 02-08-23, 03:00 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
My light bar accessory arrived, but they sent me black when I had ordered silver (chrome). So while I wait to hear back from the guy in China I decided to look at the wiring and figure things out. Some of the stickers that were on the wires fell off so I don't know for sure if I have this laid out right. I used Google Translate on the little stickers but that was only helpful for one or two of them.

Did you put the main power "box" behind the left tail light? My pic shows the little box by the left light, then the longer wires run to the trunk and to the right tail. All the wire colors match up except for one wire from the centre light bar to the wiring harness there. I'm pretty lost LOL but I'm trying to figure it out on my own. I got this far and I'm stumped. I even started my own diagram on paper but I messed that up ha ha.

The only other possibility that I can think is the main power 'box" goes under the trunk lid but I don't think the wiring works for that.

Also, when you say splicing for the turn signal wires, do you just mean you plug in the in-line double connector things shown below? One by the left and one right, with the white male/female connectors.

Wow, I’d sure be hesitant to wire that into my car.
Old 02-08-23, 03:29 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATL350
Wow, I’d sure be hesitant to wire that into my car.
It actually looks to be of really great quality. I'm not even going to test plugging it in yet until I hear back from the seller. I may have to return it.

Quick Reply: Rear LED "light bar" accessory