ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 05:53 PM
pucks18
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For older best gen lexus? (Ls400s, ls430, es300, es330, sc400, is300 etc, notice how it's all early 2000's/90s? That's when lexus was lexus).. for those older gens I'd say 7-8k is fine as they were low stressed port injected engines that were easy on oil. For a new age lexus? Hell no. I'd be doing 4k-5k oci's always. Fuel dilution start stop garbage reving to the sky everywhere. Screw that. An oil change costs like 40 bucks lol. Bitog members love to brag about how long they run their oil. There's no reason to run it that long. Not to mention the epa has lexus by the groan reccomending 0w16 0w20 oil ahahahhhahaha. Gone are the days of the 1uz 2uz 1mzfe engines, say hello to new age garbage
Old 09-30-23, 06:40 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pucks18
For older best gen lexus? (Ls400s, ls430, es300, es330, sc400, is300 etc, notice how it's all early 2000's/90s? That's when lexus was lexus).. for those older gens I'd say 7-8k is fine as they were low stressed port injected engines that were easy on oil. For a new age lexus? Hell no. I'd be doing 4k-5k oci's always. Fuel dilution start stop garbage reving to the sky everywhere. Screw that. An oil change costs like 40 bucks lol. Bitog members love to brag about how long they run their oil. There's no reason to run it that long. Not to mention the epa has lexus by the groan reccomending 0w16 0w20 oil ahahahhhahaha. Gone are the days of the 1uz 2uz 1mzfe engines, say hello to new age garbage
Yup, if you DIY, and buy oil at Costco on sale, its really low expense. I dont get why people argue about 10K or 5K oil changes on $50K car, if you want best protection its obviously better to change oil more often that recommended.
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (09-30-23)
Old 09-30-23, 06:46 PM
pucks18
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tolian21
Yup, if you DIY, and buy oil at Costco on sale, its really low expense. I dont get why people argue about 10K or 5K oil changes on $50K car, if you want best protection its obviously better to change oil more often that recommended.
the epa and Cafe standards are written all over that **** too. Ask ANY mechanic and they change their oil every 3-5k. Anymore Is just dumb
Old 10-01-23, 04:18 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Stop guessing or relying on decades old assumptions. Test your old oil at Blackstone Lab. Use data for your car to choose safe oil change intervals.
Old 10-01-23, 04:41 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Blackstone will not tell you how much dirt and ash you have on the oil rings.
Old 10-01-23, 05:21 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfz219
Stop guessing or relying on decades old assumptions. Test your old oil at Blackstone Lab. Use data for your car to choose safe oil change intervals.
Its a good start, but unfortunately UOA does not tell the whole story. But yes, that is a very useful first step.
Old 10-01-23, 01:11 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

With today's superior ICE designs and the excellent chemical engineering of synthetic oils, there is likely little-to-no risk in stretching oil changes to 10K for ideal operating conditions, considering one has purchased a quality vehicle and is using premium oils and filters. But there's the rub...conditions are rarely ideal, many people tend to ignore reliability when purchasing vehicles, and people tend to cheap-out when buying oil and filters. So, I recommend 5K oil change intervals for most, including myself.

A few tips for keeping your oil cleaner between changes: don't idle, especially during warm-ups, while doing other things like phone calls, text and the like; don't move your vehicle in or out of the driveway/garage, or on and off the street, or shuffle vehicles for any number of reasons as these short run cycles allow contaminates like condensation and other corrosives to build up in one's oil (if you need to move a vehicle, take it out on a drive to get up to operating temp); stay on top of all check engine lights and all maintenance intervals, as poorly running engines run dirty, which degrades the oil faster.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23, 03:21 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

I’ve been on car enthusiast forums over twenty years and oil threads are consistently the most entertaining thing on them.

I think it’s because oil is east to understand and do so people focus on it. But rarely is anyone in a hurry to replace engine coolant or brake fluid or timing belts before the suggested interval. Or to clean and protect drive axle boots, or repack wheel bearing grease. Or to replace hoses and fittings, or suspension bushings. But brake calipers and water pumps and bearings do fail, way more often than a midrange Japanese engine. When’s the last time you read a thread about “when should I have my fuel tank drained?” What about rust perforation inspections? Does anyone look to replace their power steering fluid 2x as often as recommended?

Nope, the usual forum person is concerned primarily with getting the best gas station fuel they can find and using the best engine oil.
Old 10-01-23, 05:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I’ve been on car enthusiast forums over twenty years and oil threads are consistently the most entertaining thing on them.

I think it’s because oil is east to understand and do so people focus on it. But rarely is anyone in a hurry to replace engine coolant or brake fluid or timing belts before the suggested interval. Or to clean and protect drive axle boots, or repack wheel bearing grease. Or to replace hoses and fittings, or suspension bushings. But brake calipers and water pumps and bearings do fail, way more often than a midrange Japanese engine. When’s the last time you read a thread about “when should I have my fuel tank drained?” What about rust perforation inspections? Does anyone look to replace their power steering fluid 2x as often as recommended?

Nope, the usual forum person is concerned primarily with getting the best gas station fuel they can find and using the best engine oil.
These vehicles have no power steering fluid.
Old 10-01-23, 05:59 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
With today's superior ICE designs and the excellent chemical engineering of synthetic oils, there is likely little-to-no risk in stretching oil changes to 10K for ideal operating conditions, considering one has purchased a quality vehicle and is using premium oils and filters. But there's the rub...conditions are rarely ideal, many people tend to ignore reliability when purchasing vehicles, and people tend to cheap-out when buying oil and filters. So, I recommend 5K oil change intervals for most, including myself.

A few tips for keeping your oil cleaner between changes: don't idle, especially during warm-ups, while doing other things like phone calls, text and the like; don't move your vehicle in or out of the driveway/garage, or on and off the street, or shuffle vehicles for any number of reasons as these short run cycles allow contaminates like condensation and other corrosives to build up in one's oil (if you need to move a vehicle, take it out on a drive to get up to operating temp); stay on top of all check engine lights and all maintenance intervals, as poorly running engines run dirty, which degrades the oil faster.
Have much more confidence in the manufacturer of my vehicle and oil than anyone on this forum sorry. Lexus and Mobil who both have a financial incentive for me to change my oil more frequently both recommend 10,000 miles. Been doing 10,000 mile intervals for six Lexus's with a cumulative one million miles and of course no engine problems.
Old 10-01-23, 07:49 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
These vehicles have no power steering fluid.
Yep. Don’t see how that relates to my point though?
Old 10-01-23, 07:51 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
Have much more confidence in the manufacturer of my vehicle and oil than anyone on this forum sorry. Lexus and Mobil who both have a financial incentive for me to change my oil more frequently both recommend 10,000 miles. Been doing 10,000 mile intervals for six Lexus's with a cumulative one million miles and of course no engine problems.
the only downside of changing oil more often is extra cost. The older Toyota engines did not require 10k oil changes. As they say, it’s your engine and it’s your money, do what you think is right.
Old 10-02-23, 05:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Yep. Don’t see how that relates to my point though?
I guess this wasn't in your post: Does anyone look to replace their power steering fluid 2x as often as recommended?
Old 10-02-23, 05:12 AM
pucks18
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I guess this wasn't in your post: Does anyone look to replace their power steering fluid 2x as often as recommended?
His point is, obsessing over oil and oil changes is low hanging fruit. Theres far more just as important things that are harder and more complex to do that need taken care of that are being neglected no doubt. It's low hanging fruit
Old 10-02-23, 06:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pucks18
His point is, obsessing over oil and oil changes is low hanging fruit. Theres far more just as important things that are harder and more complex to do that need taken care of that are being neglected no doubt. It's low hanging fruit
I agree wholeheartedly. But why not just delete the part there that is completely irrelevant. I got the point - I was born on a Sunday but it wasn't yesterday.

Quick Reply: Oil change intervals