ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Special/Custom Order

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 12:29 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
You know this information sounds all too familiar. I guess that's because I pretty much announced that fact a considerable time ago and it was actually earlier than November. You seem to forget your constant naysaying on how this couldn't be possible that Lexus can't stop making special orders and now you are announcing it as though you are the first to bring this to light. If they are building these cars with those specs as allocations then that is because that region or market dictates that build. Just like you will tend to find certain options available in certain regions and not in others. Each dealer has a profile for the types of builds for their allocations. A blueprint if you will. If you remember I I've explained this before that due to many factors including, lack of available parts on higher end trims, as well as the transportations issues, and not to mention COVID. Lexus like so many other manufacturers are catching up on allocations for areas as they are able. They can't just eliminate the backordered items. They build what they can and those cars go where they are allocated. Technically a special order is primarily a request change on a spec'd vehicle. If you contact LEXUS, they will likely tell you they don't build custom orders or orders to spec. even though they have build options on the website. It is honestly misleading and confusing because ultimately that tool is to help find a vehicle that matches the spec's that a build-to-order sheet provides. In another post I posted a copy of my special order ticket. If you notice it shows the order as a "request change" I've explained this process in my outline and regardless of all of the information available, things still change. You have to go with the flow. There is NOTHING you can do and if you don't jump on this auto if it's available, you have no one to blame but yourself. There is a reason these vehicles have warranties and if the work is performed by a Lexus dealer or authorized body shop, then you have NOTHING to worry about as any error will be resolved. PERIOD. I have likely given too much info. that will be scrutinized but the bottom line is. Take this car. You've been given valuable info from your dealer and trust that they can do the work well. If they screw it up. they will fix it.

Lexus isn't eliminating any of these options. You are presuming what you see indicates this trend but remember that what is being built is being built and allocated for a reason. Trying to make sense of it will only further lead to confusion and disappointment. Read my outline and try to use some common sense. No one here is going to be able to give a definitive answer so you are wasting time asking. Again, just because you can "build" a vehicle on Lexus' website doesn't mean that you can get that build. I've included my build sheet along with the "request change" form that would be considered a "special order."
I fully understand that. And yes, I’m accepting and taking the car. I’d be very stupid if I don’t accept the car and let it go and lose this particular allocation. This current Ultra Luxury model build that will occur next month in May will be the last Ultra Luxury build for the entire 2022 year. It’s currently the 3rd production run which is the end of the year build for the UL for this year. The next Ultra Luxury build will be 4 months from May which will be sometime in September/October which is when the first production run for the new 2023 model Ultra Luxury model build will start.

There are currently ONLY four (4) Matador Red Mica with Palomino interior ES350 Ultra Luxury vehicles in the entire USA with this particular exterior and interior color combination that I chose which will be built next month in May and ONLY 2 of these 4 Ultra Luxury cars are for the northeastern US region which stretches from Maine up to and including Virginia. One of those 2 UL’s will be mine.
There’s also another 3rd Ultra Luxury that’s being built in May as well that’s also coming to my local area that’s a sold allocation which will be going to another smaller local dealer in my area, but this one is a different color combination. It’s Nightfall Mica with a Black interior.

My Ultra Luxury comes fully loaded except for the rear spoiler option and the smart card key option. It has everything else on it. I don’t think that I will be adding the rear spoiler at the dealership after my vehicle is built and delivered. I can live without the rear spoiler for now.

Last edited by glamglam; 04-07-22 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 06:25 PM
Stuny31
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in VA and my long-time salesman informed me today that he believes Lexus has opened up again for special orders. He is going to verify and confirm with me. Hope it’s not a false alarm. I hope he will finally be ordering my 2022 ES 350 L!
Old 04-07-22, 06:40 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuny31
I live in VA and my long-time salesman informed me today that he believes Lexus has opened up again for special orders. He is going to verify and confirm with me. Hope it’s not a false alarm. I hope he will finally be ordering my 2022 ES 350 L!
Good luck!
Old 04-07-22, 06:40 PM
glamglam
Instructor

I was at my Lexus dealership both yesterday and today and I spent a few hours together with the general sales manager there and he was showing me the Lexus allocation computer system and how it works. Lexus has not opened up special orders. I’m sure about this. All Lexus vehicles are only on allocations. There’s still no special ordering. If you want an ES350 you will need to get one on allocation that has the exterior and interior color combination with the options that you want. I believe that you will be able to find the exterior and interior color combination easy, but you might not get all the options that you want. My general sales manager told me today that the Lexus allocation computer system wouldn’t take the wireless charger option request for a 2022 ES350 Premium Package that he’s got on allocation for one of his customers. He said that currently he cannot get the wireless charger option for the ES350 Premium Package. I just got an allocation for a 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury and my dealership is unable to get the rear spoiler option and the smart key card option for my vehicle. The good thing is that my Ultra Luxury will come fully loaded and it has all the options that are available for this particular model. I don’t care that much about the rear spoiler option that I wanted not being available for the build and I can always get the smart key directly from the dealer if I ever want it.

Also, I forgot to mention that there’s no build scheduled for the ES350 Luxury model. You’re better off getting the Ultra Luxury model instead. Lexus builds very few Luxury model ES350’s than Ultra Luxury models. They built the Ultra Luxury model last month all throughout March and are going to build the last production run for this year next month in May again for the northeastern USA region which stretches from Maine all the way and including Virginia. The next Ultra Luxury production run will occur again 4 months from May in September/October and that will be the first production run for the ES350 Ultra Luxury for the new 2023 model year.

Last edited by glamglam; 04-07-22 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 07:03 PM
Stuny31
Driver School Candidate

Two local dealerships have told me special orders are being accepted. Perhaps it varies from state to state?
Old 04-07-22, 07:24 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Two local dealerships have told me special orders are being accepted. Perhaps it varies from state to state?
I’m located in the US northeast region. I know that there are no special orders being accepted by Lexus up here in my area. Where are you located? Where are these 2 local Lexus dealerships located that are telling you that special orders are being accepted right now?
Old 04-07-22, 08:25 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm located in the Bay Area in CA and the sales manager I'm in contact with sent in my special order to Lexus 2 weeks ago. It's still waiting for approval from Lexus. However, he's found a unit in allocation that's 90% similar to my build and has reserved it for me. However this is through a connection of mine and not just me walking in asking.

Closer dealerships have told me, as of 2 weeks ago, that Lexus isn't accepting special order. Maybe it does depend on region but I'm surprised as my local dealership is the largest one in the Bay Area.
Old 04-08-22, 01:03 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
I'm located in the Bay Area in CA and the sales manager I'm in contact with sent in my special order to Lexus 2 weeks ago. It's still waiting for approval from Lexus. However, he's found a unit in allocation that's 90% similar to my build and has reserved it for me. However this is through a connection of mine and not just me walking in asking.

Closer dealerships have told me, as of 2 weeks ago, that Lexus isn't accepting special order. Maybe it does depend on region but I'm surprised as my local dealership is the largest one in the Bay Area.
You’re much better off taking the allocation unit. There is no special ordering happening right now. Lexus is not taking any special orders. Nobody knows when Lexus will restart special orders again.
Old 04-08-22, 01:14 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
You’re much better off taking the allocation unit. There is no special ordering happening right now. Lexus is not taking any special orders. Nobody knows when Lexus will restart special orders again.
Not sure what your source is but yes I'm not expecting the special order to go through any time soon. I'm planning on taking the allocation unit anyway
Old 04-10-22, 02:01 PM
Stuny31
Driver School Candidate

I live in Northern Virginia and Lexus IS indeed taking special orders for the ES350. My salesman is placing my order, finally, for an ES350 Luxury. I am aware that it will take 3+ months to take receipt of it. I am a happy camper.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 03:58 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I forgot to mention that there’s no build scheduled for the ES350 Luxury model. You’re better off getting the Ultra Luxury model instead. Lexus builds very few Luxury model ES350’s than Ultra Luxury models. They built the Ultra Luxury model last month all throughout March and are going to build the last production run for this year next month in May again for the northeastern USA region which stretches from Maine all the way and including Virginia. The next Ultra Luxury production run will occur again 4 months from May in September/October and that will be the first production run for the ES350 Ultra Luxury for the new 2023 model year.
With the features added to the Luxury trim for '22, there's now almost no difference between the two trim levels when optioned out anyway. There are smarter people about this stuff than me on this board, but I'm not aware of any difference except the rear door sunshades.
Old 04-10-22, 04:28 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

I live in Northern Virginia and Lexus IS indeed taking special orders for the ES350. My salesman is placing my order, finally, for an ES350 Luxury. I am aware that it will take 3+ months to take receipt of it. I am a happy camper.
That would be great if it is indeed opening up. I'm checking with my Lexus contact to confirm if special ordering is indeed opening back up. This is an assumption only on my part but since Lexus stopped special ordering nationally, it would stand to reason that they would also (when it does occur) open special ordering nationally as well. That is again just my logical thinking but not fact. Not to doubt you, however I would have thought it was still too early but stranger things have happened. Did your salesperson explain that it still has to be approved and that it's possible that options requested or declined could be different than finished product? If not I would encourage you to find out how they will handle pricing in the off chance options requested or rejected are included or not included. Of course they can't give you an accurate price until there is an actual approved build with dates. And then a final selling price won't be known until the vehicle is in their possession so that the monthly incentive/rebate programs can be applied. I do hope for the best here but expect some possible bumps.

The first document below is what the special order change request document looks like. After being accepted and approved then some time later when a build date is made available, you should be able to ask for the second document in this post. That will give you the pricing. There is a VIN associated on the document but I blocked it out. Now they may or may not provide that for you. If they don't, I would press them for it. That is when you should be able to negotiate the price of the car by itself. Then once the car is built and delivered, depending on the month received, you will be able to factor in rebates and incentives. Of course selling price should ALWAYS be negotiated separate from rebates and incentives. Now to be fair, they won't be able to give you an out-the-door price until after it's delivered due to the fact rebates and incentives are dependent on the month that the vehicle is sold. Also depending on when you purchase or lease, financing and lease programs would obviously affect the out-the-door price. That was my actual previous experience, YMMV.

From start to finish, the order date was August 2021. I believe the build specs and VIN were locked-in in December, then Jan. 4th was the build date. Final delivery date was end of January 2022. Approximately 6 months.

Just offering some free advice. Good luck and definitely keep us updated. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Special/Custom Order-22-ul-special-order-redacted-3.png   Special/Custom Order-22-ul-special-order-redacted-1.png  
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 04:45 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Did the Lexus allocation computer system "accept" your Ultra Luxury order into the system? The reason why I'm asking you this is because my general sales manager told me on Friday when I saw him that Lexus is still not accepting any special orders. They are doing only allocations. I don't believe that your salesman is being honest with you and telling you the truth. Lexus is not accepting special orders. Your dealership is trying to get you an allocation. The next production run for the ES350 Luxury and the ES350 Ultra Luxury will be in September and they will both be 2023 models. All the last remaining 2020 model year ES350 Ultra Luxury models (there are only 20 remaining Ultra Luxury vehicles that will be built for the northeastern USA region) will be built in May. No more UL's will be built until September again after these last 20 vehicles are built in May. Your Ultra Luxury that you will be getting in September will be an allocation. Not a special order.
Old 04-10-22, 05:15 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
That would be great if it is indeed opening up. I'm checking with my Lexus contact to confirm if special ordering is indeed opening back up. This is an assumption only on my part but since Lexus stopped special ordering nationally, it would stand to reason that they would also (when it does occur) open special ordering nationally as well. That is again just my logical thinking but not fact. Not to doubt you, however I would have thought it was still too early but stranger things have happened. Did your salesperson explain that it still has to be approved and that it's possible that options requested or declined could be different than finished product? If not I would encourage you to find out how they will handle pricing in the off chance options requested or rejected are included or not included. Of course they can't give you an accurate price until there is an actual approved build with dates. And then a final selling price won't be known until the vehicle is in their possession so that the monthly incentive/rebate programs can be applied. I do hope for the best here but expect some possible bumps.

The first document below is what the special order change request document looks like. After being accepted and approved then some time later when a build date is made available, you should be able to ask for the second document in this post. That will give you the pricing. There is a VIN associated on the document but I blocked it out. Now they may or may not provide that for you. If they don't, I would press them for it. That is when you should be able to negotiate the price of the car by itself. Then once the car is built and delivered, depending on the month received, you will be able to factor in rebates and incentives. Of course selling price should ALWAYS be negotiated separate from rebates and incentives. Now to be fair, they won't be able to give you an out-the-door price until after it's delivered due to the fact rebates and incentives are dependent on the month that the vehicle is sold. Also depending on when you purchase or lease, financing and lease programs would obviously affect the out-the-door price. That was my actual previous experience, YMMV.

From start to finish, the order date was August 2021. I believe the build specs and VIN were locked-in in December, then Jan. 4th was the build date. Final delivery date was end of January 2022. Approximately 6 months.

Just offering some free advice. Good luck and definitely keep us updated. :-)
Lexus was still taking special orders back in August 2021 when you ordered your ES350 Ultra Luxury. They stopped accepting special orders sometime in November. You were lucky that Lexus accepted your special order for your 2022 ES350 Ultra Luxury.

The general sales manager at my Lexus dealership was able grab one of the only 2 Ultra Luxury allocations that were for the northeastern USA region that was in the exact exterior and interior color combination and options that I wanted which will be built in May. There's a grand total of only 4 Ultra Luxury vehicles in the whole country that will be built in May that is in the exterior and interior color combination and options like the one that's being built for me. That's it. Only 4 in the entire country.

The ONLY 2 options that all of these 4 Ultra Luxury cars have missing in them is the rear spoiler and the smart key card. My general sales manager told me that he spoke to someone at the Lexus regional headquarters for the entire east coast that has more power than him and that he asked them to try to get my ES350 Ultra Luxury built with the rear spoiler and with the smart key card. It's not guaranteed that the Lexus manufacturing plant in Kentucky will accept the request for these 2 additional options that I want will, but it's worth a try. The good thing is that my general sales manager is dealing with someone higher up at Lexus that has more power than him who has a chance of getting these 2 options that I want approved on my Ultra Luxury allocation so my ES350 Ultra Luxury can be built with the rear spoiler and the smart key card that I want. We will know if the northeastern Lexus regional higher up person can get the Lexus factory in Kentucky to accept the request to add the rear spoiler and the smart key card to the build sometime this week.
Old 04-10-22, 06:04 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
With the features added to the Luxury trim for '22, there's now almost no difference between the two trim levels when optioned out anyway. There are smarter people about this stuff than me on this board, but I'm not aware of any difference except the rear door sunshades.
For the purpose of this post I am presenting it as if the audience isn't as aware of the jargon and verbiage that we typical posters use. I know you and seasoned posters know most of these things already. (didn't want it to have a condescending tone.) Besides, you recognize already in your post that it is dependent on being optioned out so this is clarifying the price differences with the reference points being a base Lux and base Ult. Lux. I'm merely expounding on your post. Or being long-winded! :-)

*****EDITED Apr. 11th****
When we (here on the forum) are talking about the variance between the Lux. and UL trims, it is usually understood (by frequent posters) that the Lux is often a fully loaded (optioned out) Lux. When compared to a base UL, there is really only the manual rear sunshade that is the only non upgradeable feature on the Lux. as LexWannabe already pointed out. So if the Luxury trimmed ES 350 was fully loaded then yes the only difference would be the manual rear door sunshades. The Lux. trim only without any upgrades has a starting price of around $47,275 and the Ultra Luxury starting price starting price bumps up to $51,005. However, most allocations that you will find, especially for Lux. trims, have build specs. that will almost always have additional pkgs. and options added. Those are going to most often sell better than just a Lux. without any upgrades. That's why on Lux. and UL. you will find the majority have Pano. roofs even though they both come with a Moonroof as standard as one example. Build specs. for each vehicle will likely vary between regions and dealers dependent on what's going to be allocated. Meaning each dealer has standard build spec. profiles (according to each dealership and region) for the vehicles that best suit the market for their area. The build spec. profiles along with other factors dictate production and therefore the allocations that each region and dealership will receive. That doesn't mean they will always get the same allocations with the same build specs. everytime, but in general. We all know that various factors including covid, supply chain, and transportation issues have plagued the industry. Not to mention part shortages for Lux. and Ult. Lux trims.

Here are the differences for the Base level of Lux. and Ultra Lux.
Disclaimer** some Pkg. require certain option so for ex. On UL., Nav. w/12.3" TS is Std. so only ML would be upgraded if chosen. Lux. trim has 8" TS w/o Nav. as Std. Nav. and ML are both optional. Intuitive Brake and Park Assist is standard on both UL and Lux. Panoramic view monitor is an option on Lux. and Std. on UL. Pano. View is included as part of a package upgrade with Int. Brake and Park assist on the Lux. Where as they are both combined as a standard equipment on the UL. The package structure can be a bit confusing so ask if you need clarification on something.

So technically there is a cost difference between the Lux. and UL. but in the real world this difference is going to look alot closer to the UL pricing due to the fact that most allocations have spec. build profiles for Lux. trims that are most likely to have upgraded options. Many Lux. trims are going to come with typical upgrades between ML sound, pano. roof, pano. view monitor, and Nav as included options because that's more attractive to buyers. But for most of us here, Ult. Lux. is the only trim that fits the bill. It's also the reason why most posters here, especially those that already have UL's or want UL's think that UL's are a better value and the only true option.

For sake of argument, I didn't mention ES 300h or 250's or F-sport because that would be TOO much and I've already probably gone overboard. Aside from pano. roof and NR wheels as non options on 250's and no pano. roof on F-sport and 300h, that should be most of the variances. If I've missed something I'm sure someone will let us know.

Edit: My main comparison point was to demonstrate that a non-optioned out base Lux. trim could be had for around $3000 less than a base Ult. Lux. trim but for that extra money you get quite a bit for the UL. To take a Lux. trim then configure it with all of the options that are standard on the UL. the cost is approx. $3885.
I have pointed out on the Lux. trim breakdown which options are Std on the UL along with the upgrade cost. The cost difference is approximately $3000 between the standard Lux. trim that is non-optioned and the standard UL.

Lux: $47,275 (with no optional upgrades below)

Multimedia 8" touchscreen (No Nav) **Std.
-Navigation System* with 12.3-in touchscreen multimedia display. **Opt (Std on UL) $1820 Upg. on Lux
Lexus 10-speaker Premium Sound System **Std. (unless upgraded to ML)
Kick Sensor/power trunk lid ** Opt. (Std on UL) $550 Upg. on Lux
18-inch split-10-spoke alloy wheels with two-tone Black and machined finish **Std.
-18-inch split-five-spoke alloy noise-reduction wheels **Opt. (Std on UL) $180 Upg. on Lux
-HUD **Opt. (Std on UL) $500 Upg. on Lux.
-Panoramic View Monitor **Opt. (Std on UL) $835 Upg. on Lux.
Power moonroof **Std.
-Panorama glass roof **Opt.
Bi-LED headlamps, LED taillamps and daytime running lamps **Std.
-Premium Triple-Beam LED headlamps **Opt.

Ult. Lux: $51,005 (with no optional upgrades below)

Navigation System* with 12.3-in touchscreen multimedia display **Std.
Lexus 10-speaker Premium Sound System **Std (unless upgraded to ML)
-Mark Levinson®* 17-speaker, 1,800-watt PurePlay Premium Surround Sound **Opt.
Kick Sensor/power trunk lid **Std.
18-inch split-five-spoke alloy noise-reduction wheels **Std.
HUD **Std.
Panoramic View Monitor **Std
Power moonroof ** Std
-Panorama glass roof **Opt.
Bi-LED headlamps, LED taillamps and daytime running lamps **Std.
-Premium Triple-Beam LED headlamps **Opt.

Lux. upg. options that match the Std. Ult. Lux. is approx. $3885 + $47,275 = $51,160 VS. Std. Ult. Lux. @ $51,005 (minus manual rear window sunshade.)

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-13-22 at 08:59 PM. Reason: To make more comprehensive and complete

Quick Reply: Special/Custom Order