ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Special/Custom Order

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 06:39 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by blanshot
Thank you for the words of encouragement. By no means the dealer tried to buy me a different car. They said to me, in quote, “no one has been able to custom order a car for the last year and a half”. That baffled me because, like I said, I want a BMW but I do not have the financial capabilities to do so. I’m not at the point in my life where I can just lease one and throw away and rinse repeat or to buy one and maintain it.

They were really professional and didn’t sway me in anyway. I just told them I’ll be back some other time and I thank them for their time. The salesman told me he will reach out to me once he found a car that is “close” to the configuration I wanted out of my custom UL I wanted to do. LOL.

So either he’s going to contact me later saying he found a car that is close to my config or he tells me “omg a custom order allocation has opened up! Place your $$$$$ deposit so we can make it happen!”

I’m willing to wait it out. I just want to buy one before the next generation comes out (that’s only me assuming they will go turbo i6/i4 which I’m not a fan) the ES 350 is super smooth and it’s something I haven’t experienced in awhile.
You’re very welcome blanshot.
The dealer is lying to you when he told you that nobody has special ordered the UL in the last year and a half. He’s full of it telling you that. I actually know someone who special ordered a 2022 ES350 UL in mid to the end of September 2021 and Lexus built the car in December 2021 and they delivered the car to the dealer in January 2022 and they got delivery of their car last month in January 2022. There are also others who special ordered the UL in October and in November of 2021 who got delivery of their car last month in January 2022.

So don’t believe the BS that your dealer is telling you that no one was able to special order the UL in over a year and a half. They’re lying to you to make you believe that Lexus will not build anymore UL models for this current 2022 year. They’re very wrong misleading you like this. I hope that this clears up everything and that it also clears up the misrepresentation and the confusion that the Lexus dealers are causing. They’re doing a huge disservice to customers who want to special order the 2022 ES350 UL.

Last edited by glamglam; 02-14-22 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-14-22, 08:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

So how do you know when a dealer is lying? Their lips are moving
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (02-14-22), dklanecky1 (02-15-22), LS500Fan (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 08:29 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
The dealers do not like to tell people to special order the UL or any other ES350 because they want to get people to take something that’s already on the lot.
There. Is. Nothing. On. The. Lot.

Yes, dealers lie a lot. My car is living proof that a dealer lied to you when he claimed there have been no ES special orders in 18 months (although it's worth noting that the factory itself then defied my "special order" by loading two options onto the car that I specifically requested not to have). But you don't need to take the word of anybody here to verify for yourself that the lots, of all makes, have no cars on them. And many of the few that are there are already spoken for by buyers.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (02-15-22)
Old 02-14-22, 11:01 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
There. Is. Nothing. On. The. Lot.

Yes, dealers lie a lot. My car is living proof that a dealer lied to you when he claimed there have been no ES special orders in 18 months (although it's worth noting that the factory itself then defied my "special order" by loading two options onto the car that I specifically requested not to have). But you don't need to take the word of anybody here to verify for yourself that the lots, of all makes, have no cars on them. And many of the few that are there are already spoken for by buyers.
I’m very aware that there is nothing on the lots. I also understand that the dealers have very few to no ES350 premium and ES350 UL models on their lots. I’m fully aware of this. That’s why I special ordered the ES350 UL that I want.

I also know another thing. I know that the local Lexus dealers that I visited have many premium package ES350 vehicles incoming that they allocated through Lexus. I don’t care for the premium package though. I only like the Ultra Luxury model.

Tell me something, if there haven’t been any special orders taken in the last 18 months by Lexus for the ES350 UL, then how do you explain the special orders for the UL model that were placed by the people that I know no later than November 2021?? They placed their special orders with the color and with the options that they wanted and they waited 3 to 4 months and they got delivery of their UL. Also, I don’t mind if Lexus adds on any extra options on my car because when I ordered my UL, I ordered it “fully loaded” with all the extra options that were available like the triple led headlights and the panoramic sunroof.

Another thing that’s I know is that Lexus stopped taking special orders on all their cars sometime in November 2021. They haven’t reopened special ordering yet. However, they will not keep special ordering a car from them closed forever. They’re going to have to reopen special ordering sometime soon in the near future within the next 2 to 3 months to fulfill thr 2022 models that they have on their website and in their 2022 brochures. I’m willing to wait a few months if I have to in order to get what I want.
Old 02-14-22, 12:09 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

When Lexus reopens, yes, they will resume production first to fill orders already placed. I know that. Lexus only shut down for the weekend. They have reopened again for production right now. Also, commerce and transportation has reopened again between Ottawa and the USA at the Ambassador Bridge today. The blockade of the tractor trailers has ended as of this morning at that particular commercial border crossing. So right now, Lexus and all the other automotive companies and automotive parts companies will be able to transport auto parts through the Ottawa border into the USA to all the different auto plants in the USA and also to the Lexus auto plant in Kentucky.

The UL will eventually be built soon as Lexus starts fulfilling the existing orders and the special orders. The current waiting period is between 2 to 3 months. Even if at the worse possible scenario, if the wait is going to be a 4 month waiting period for the UL model, that still means that the UL will eventually still be built sometime in April or in May 2022. Actually, 3 to 4 months from now isn’t a very long waiting period. Lexus still has the UL model listed on their website and in their year 2022 ES Lexus brochure, so that means that they will eventually build it sometime in the near future during the springtime in March, April and May of 2022. By placing a special order in February 2022 like I did for a 2022 ES350 UL, you will put yourself in line to be able to get the car built in the next 2 to 3 months and get delivery of your UL sometime in April or May of 2022. Lexus is not going to stop production of the UL anytime soon for the 2022 model year. And starting next year, for the 2023 model year, Lexus will be shipping and importing all the ES350 models, including the UL model directly from Japan. The ES350 UL model isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

The dealers do not like to tell people to special order the UL or any other ES350 because they want to get people to take something that’s already on the lot. They discourage customers from placing a special order by telling them that the UL will not be built and by making customers think that the UL will never be built again in 2022. That’s not true though. The dealers are lying. Placing a special order will place you on the waiting list for your car to be built. It might take 3 or 4 months to get your car, but your car will still get built.

It’s still early in 2022 and Lexus has more ES350’s, U and UL cars that they will build. They’re not going to stop building these cars as long as there are orders placed for them.
what does "Lexus reopen" mean? My car was built last week of Jan and my dealer said they keep getting cars weekly. So there's no shutdown! they just don't make custom orders period.
Old 02-14-22, 12:32 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattsrs
what does "Lexus reopen" mean? My car was built last week of Jan and my dealer said they keep getting cars weekly. So there's no shutdown! they just don't make custom orders period.
mattsrs, did you special order your Lexus? If so, when did you order it??
I already know that Lexus stopped taking special orders. They stopped making custom orders since mid November of 2021. However, Lexus will restart building custom orders again by springtime in March or April of 2022 in order to fulfill the special orders that people like me made at the dealer who want special colors and options for the Luxury and Ultra Luxury ES350 models as well as all the other Lexus sedan and SUV models.
Old 02-14-22, 12:33 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Tell me something, if there haven’t been any special orders taken in the last 18 months by Lexus for the ES350 UL, then how do you explain the special orders for the UL model that were placed by the people that I know no later than November 2021?? They placed their special orders with the color and with the options that they wanted and they waited 3 to 4 months and they got delivery of their UL.
Respectfully, I think you may have misunderstood my post. What I was saying is that I agree with you, there HAVE been successful special orders recently, and I know because I'm one of them. I placed a special order in August and it was fulfilled in January. So, your disagreement is not with me.
glamglam (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 12:34 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

mattsrs, did you special order your Lexus? If so, when did you order it??
I already know that Lexus stopped taking special orders. They stopped making custom orders since mid November of 2021. However, Lexus will restart building custom orders again by springtime in March or April of 2022 in order to fulfill the special orders that people like me made at the dealer who want special colors and options for the Luxury and Ultra Luxury ES350 models as well as all the other Lexus sedan and SUV models.
I didn't special order because all dealers told me Lexus doesn't take orders. I just talked to around 15 dealers and found one that had this allocation to be built in a few weeks and it matched what I wanted so I jumped on it
Moorekx (02-15-22)
Old 02-14-22, 12:36 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I didn't special order because all dealers told me Lexus doesn't take orders. I just talked to around 15 dealers and found one that had this allocation to be built in a few weeks and it matched what I wanted to I jumped on it
Okay that's another alternative too by being able to get an allocation that matches what you want.
Old 02-14-22, 02:08 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

I was fortunate to get my Special Order in for January allocation but, I can attest to the responses regarding being unable to special order @ the current moment. I was able to order one of the last special order vehicles, at my specific dealer before they stopped special orders for the time being. It happened to be a 22' UL at my specific dealer, but I had a special "in" with my dealer. Toyota overall cut allocation by 40% or more which in turn also affects lexus. Having a special relationship with my Dealer and the GM really helped me as I was able to order in December and picked up my car mid January. I was informed that Lexus would most likely cease special orders and it seems as though that has been accurate. The reasoning was that most of the allocations were already pre-sold even before hitting the lot. Special orders are part of the dealerships given allocation and this, plus the huge allocation cut, meant that there were little to no cars on the lot for walk-in customers to purchase. That obviously may not be the case everywhere but from my experience at least in my area, that is the case. In my experience, and based on feedback from the GM, who I solely deal with, UL's are not going to be part of a normal allocation, unless special ordered. They will receive, as their typical allocation, the most favorable colors and options that fit most buyers. YMMV!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 02-14-22 at 11:31 PM. Reason: punctuation clarification
Old 02-14-22, 03:04 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Respectfully, I think you may have misunderstood my post. What I was saying is that I agree with you, there HAVE been successful special orders recently, and I know because I'm one of them. I placed a special order in August and it was fulfilled in January. So, your disagreement is not with me.
I apologize. I misunderstood you. You’re absolutely right that there HAVE been successful special orders recently with Lexus. That’s excellent news.
Old 02-14-22, 03:37 PM
LexFinally
Racer

I apologize. I misunderstood you. You’re absolutely right that there HAVE been successful special orders recently with Lexus. That’s excellent news.
It's all good, thanks. But I would offer a friendly word of advice to not set yourself up for disappointment by expecting what maybe can't happen, at least unless you're prepared to do some serious waiting. The story told by 19ES350lux sounds pretty authentic to me.
dklanecky1 (02-15-22)
Old 02-14-22, 04:36 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
I was fortunate to get my Special Order in for January allocation but, I can attest to the responses regarding being unable to special order @ the current moment. I was able to order one of the last 22' UL's but I had a special "in" with my dealer. Toyota overall cut allocation by 40% or more which in turn also affects lexus. Having a special relationship with my Dealer and the GM really helped me as I was able to order in December and picked up my car mid January. I was informed that Lexus would most likely cease special orders and it seems as though that has been accurate. The reasoning was that most of the allocations were already pre-sold even before hitting the lot. Special orders are part of the dealerships given allocation and this, plus the huge allocation cut, meant that there were little to no cars on the lot for walk-in customers to purchase. That obviously may not be the case everywhere but from my experience at least in my area, that is the case. In my experience, and based on feedback from the GM, who I solely deal with, UL's are not going to be part of a normal allocation, unless special ordered. They will receive, as their typical allocation, the most favorable colors and options that fit most buyers. YMMV!
You ordered the 22’ but it wasn’t one of the last 22’s. I just got a call from my dealer an hour ago and they told me that another dealer in the area is going to receive 2 Ultra Luxury models which are already sold. So these 2 UL cars are either special orders or dealer allocations. Either way, this is proof that Lexus is still building the Ultra Luxury model. They haven’t stopped building it for 2022.
Old 02-14-22, 11:39 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Smile

You ordered the 22’ but it wasn’t one of the last 22’s. I just got a call from my dealer an hour ago and they told me that another dealer in the area is going to receive 2 Ultra Luxury models which are already sold. So these 2 UL cars are either special orders or dealer allocations. Either way, this is proof that Lexus is still building the Ultra Luxury model. They haven’t stopped building it for 2022.
I should have clarified that the special order was one of the last special orders of any vehicle at my specific dealer for the foreseeable future. Of course they wouldn't be eliminating that trim all together. However, finding regularly allocated UL's would be very difficult to find, at this time, and would most likely only be in markets that sells A LOT of UL trims. The market and trims that drive higher sales typically dictate allocations. Thanks for catching that so I could clarify.
Old 02-14-22, 11:46 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I know a sales manager for HONDA in my area and i asked why they had 9 white Accord Hybrids and a few other random colors. Mind you this was right before COVID started being an issue. He told me those were their biggest sellers, therefore that is what made up the largest part of their allocation.

Quick Reply: Special/Custom Order