ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Special/Custom Order

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 08:09 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
You are right, they are in transit. Now it couldn't be that easy, could it? I would almost guarantee that most, if not all of these, "1 Luxury, 4 Ultra Luxury, 4 F-Sport" are already pre-sold and the Ultra Lux's were very likely all special orders. Same situation in Eskridge. Every single ES they have listed, 6 in total, will have been pre-sold, including those 2 elusive Ultra Lux's. I found out about the 2 Ul. Lux. special orders a few days ago before they even posted them.
From my experience, you are 100% right. Every dealer I called that showed a UL in transit said it’s presold. I purchased an allocation before the car had a vin.
Old 02-18-22, 08:20 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
From my experience, you are 100% right. Every dealer I called that showed a UL in transit said it’s presold. I purchased an allocation before the car had a vin.
Unfortunately, that is going to be most people's reality for some time. Add in not being able to special order any Lexus for that matter. Stings!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 02-19-22 at 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-22, 06:18 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Unfortunately, that is going to be most people's reality for some time. Add in not being able to special order any Lexus for that matter. Stings!
Special orders for Lexus are going to open up by April/May of 2022. All car manufacturers including Lexus and Acura are going to ramp up production by April and May. I got this inside information from managers at Lexus and Acura that have inside connections with Toyota/Lexus and Acura. These people do not want to say anything about thus because they want to try to get top dollar for the Lexus, Toyota and Acura vehicles for the next month or two until things change. They've been taking advantage of the shutdowns for the last year or two and they know that this will end soon and that's why they aren't saying anything. They want everybody who wants a vehicle to buy whatever is being allocated. They don't want people to place special orders because the dealer will lose money on the sales of their allocations which are incoming every month. The dealers are secretive about this. Things are going to change for the better in 2 to 3 months from now. Trust me. Production will go back to normal by April and May 2022.
Old 02-18-22, 06:54 PM
CruiseGuy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=glamglam;11228127]When Lexus reopens, yes, they will resume production first to fill orders already placed. I know that. Lexus only shut down for the weekend. They have reopened again for production right now. Also, commerce and transportation has reopened again between Ottawa and the USA at the Ambassador Bridge today. The blockade of the tractor trailers has ended as of this morning at that particular commercial border crossing. So right now, Lexus and all the other automotive companies and automotive parts companies will be able to transport auto parts through the Ottawa border into the USA to all the different auto plants in the USA and also to the Lexus auto plant in Kentucky. /QUOTE]

OMG GLAMGLAM GLAMGLAGLAMG, have skipped Geography class?
1. Believe me when I say the truckers blockade is in OTTAWA, the Nation's Capital, and it is NOT OVER, in fact one the leaders has been arrested this afternoon and several more protesters will accompany their leader in jail.
2. There is NO BORDER CROSSING in OTTAWA to the U.S.A. and the AMBASSADOR BRIDGE is in WINDSOR, ONTARIO. where the truckers setup a blockade. The Police managed to reopen the WINDSOR border crossing and resume the flow of merchandise between countries .
Glamglam had some events correct with the wrong location.
Old 02-18-22, 07:38 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Yes, the Ambassador bridge is open and there is a steady flow of merchandise going through between the USA and Canada and vice versa. Also, the police are working 24 hours up in Ottawa and arresting many protestors and truckers (over 100 so far and more to come) and are towing all and any trucks that are blocking the border there. Things are winding down with the truckers causing the blockades. There might be more protests, but no more blockades. The ones breaking the law will be arrested like they are right now. Over 90% of the truckers are working and they are using alternate routes to haul freight and goods between the borders. The truckers can protest all they want. The blockade in Ottawa isn't going to last very long. I support the truckers, but I believe that they should find a better protesting alternative rather than blocking the border. There are other better ways to protest than damaging the economy like they're doing. Action is being taken to stop the blockade in Ottawa and things are getting better there because law enforcement is opening up the border by making several arrests and towing truckers' vehicles away.
Ottawa Police Crack Down on Trucker Protest: What You Should Know - CNET
Canadian police arrest 100, tow vehicles amid protests in Ottawa (nbcnews.com)

Last edited by glamglam; 02-18-22 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-19-22, 01:51 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

You are right, they are inbound. Inbound and waiting to be picked up by their new owners as they are already pre-sold. I would almost guarantee that most, if not all of these, "1 Luxury, 4 Ultra Luxury, 4 F-Sport" are already pre-sold and the Ultra Lux's were very likely all special orders. Same situation in Eskridge. Every single ES they have listed, 6 in total, will have been pre-sold, including those 2 elusive Ultra Lux's. I found out about the 2 Ul. Lux. special orders a few days ago before they even posted them.
You are absolutely correct as I am one of the those inbound.
Old 02-19-22, 03:45 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattsrs
No, allocation is not changeable. From what I learned they should just take what Lexus allocates to them and it cannot be customized. Blue exterior is a tough one to find. In my search, I saw white black red with palomino or acorn or the white one in different combos
There is only one Nightfall Mica (blue) UL in the country and its a pre-sold unit headed for ESKRIDGE LEXUS OF OKLAHOMA CITY.
Old 02-19-22, 06:12 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moorekx
You are absolutely correct as I am one of the those inbound.
Congrats on your new ES.
The following users liked this post:
Moorekx (02-19-22)
Old 02-19-22, 06:20 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

There is only one Nightfall Mica (blue) UL in the country and its a pre-sold unit headed for ESKRIDGE LEXUS OF OKLAHOMA CITY.
Not to be confused with allocation swapping among dealerships. For example my allocation was swapped with another dealership that had been allocated a cloudburst grey UL and they were willing to swap with the color UL my dealership had been allocated. I readily accepted all the options and interior color and signed a purchased order the next day.
Old 02-19-22, 06:31 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Congrats on your new ES.
Thanks …. I’m using this forum to nervously pass the time till it arrives. I’ve learned so much from all of you and really appreciate the input. I joined clublexus ages ago when I bought a used SC430, The ESC/stability light wouldn’t go out and someone posted how to run a short from two separate pins on the OBDII connector while turning the ignition on off a couple times and it worked like a charm saving me lots of money. This site is awesome.
Old 02-21-22, 10:07 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
There. Is. Nothing. On. The. Lot.

Yes, dealers lie a lot. My car is living proof that a dealer lied to you when he claimed there have been no ES special orders in 18 months (although it's worth noting that the factory itself then defied my "special order" by loading two options onto the car that I specifically requested not to have). But you don't need to take the word of anybody here to verify for yourself that the lots, of all makes, have no cars on them. And many of the few that are there are already spoken for by buyers.
I'm curious which two options you specifically requested not to have that were added anyway? When I placed my order I was reminded by my contact that there is always a chance that a special order may not be built as requested. So it could have more options or less. It has happened and honestly if most people knew the complexity of the planning and allocation process. Minds would be BLOWN!
Old 02-21-22, 11:41 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Regarding Vehicle Allocation, here is a "brief" overview highlighting a very small part of the process. I've skipped a few steps down to the regional and local level.

Vehicle Allocation-

National, regional then on to the dealer level.

Regional allocation-
Is performed monthly 6 weeks prior to the production month.

Once the monthly allocation is done the region must create a vehicle order for each unit.

Dealer allocations-
The dealers can maintain an allocation preference database that describes the type of vehicle specifications that they desire—or do not desire. Similar to a profile.
Dealers can also submit special orders from customers.

Once the dealers receive their allocation of vehicles, they have a few days to accept the vehicles.

After the dealers accept the vehicles, they appear in a pipeline inventory report. At this time, dealers can make changes to some of the factory specifications and also add accessories that will be installed at the marshaling yard and/or port

Now that the dealers know which vehicles are scheduled for production and approximately when they will be built, they can use information regarding these vehicles in combination with the dealer stock to fulfill demand.

The primary difference between the Lexus allocation model and other allocation models (Toyota does it once a month regionally and twice a month at a dealer level.) is that Lexus vehicles are allocated to dealers based on a quarterly sales plan. Unlike the Toyota models that are based on actual sales to “turn-and-earn,” Lexus’s vehicle allocation is based on the forecasted sales of each dealer as a share of each region’s total sales

Dealer fulfillment-
There are four options for dealers to fulfill customer demand.

1. Dealer Stock. The first option is to fulfill the customer’s order from dealer stock. The salesperson will attempt to influence the customer to select a vehicle already in stock. Such an approach is preferred by the dealer because the sale can be consummated immediately, before the customer leaves the dealership. The salesperson is always concerned that once a customer leaves without the keys to the car, she will change her mind and end up buying from another dealer or a competitor. The order-to-delivery lead time for vehicles purchased from stock is usually zero to two days.

2. Dealer trade. In that case, the salesperson can access a dealer locator system to determine if the vehicle is in another dealer’s stock in a nearby city or state. Usually the distance is limited to less than 500 miles, because if the vehicle is driven more than 500 miles before it is sold, the excessive mileage may violate the warranty. This issue can be avoided by hauling the vehicle on a trailer. In most cases, the dealers actually swap vehicles, meaning that two vehicles need to be transported instead of one. This method of fulfillment will add several hundred dollars to the dealer cost, because the dealer must pay a driver as well as cover the cost of fuel to transport the vehicle. That extra cost may or may not be passed along to the customer depending on how anxious the dealer is to sell the vehicle. It also adds miles to a new car before customer possession. The order-to-delivery lead time is usually two to three days.

3. Locate a vehicle in the dealer’s pipeline. These are vehicles that have been allocated or assigned to the dealer but have not arrived at the dealer. The pipeline can be divided into three segments:

1 Vehicles produced and in transit from the plant
2.Vehicles that are either in the process of being built or for which the specifications
have been frozen just prior to production
3.Vehicles scheduled for production with specifications that have not yet been frozen

If an exact match of the customer’s specifications can be located in the first two groups, then the vehicle can be reserved for the customer and should be delivered in two to three weeks.
The next choice is to locate a vehicle that is scheduled for future production and request a change in specifications. That step requires the manufacturing plant to agree to change the vehicle specification. The process is as follows:
* The dealer submits an online request to change a vehicle that has still not been produced. The change request can be a simple one-for-one change; for example, “I have a red ES 350 and I want a blue ES 350.” The change request can also be one-to-many or many-to-one; for example, “I have a red ES 350 and I want either a blue or white ES 350,” or, “I have a blue ES 350 and a black ES 350 and I want a silver ES 350.”
* The next step is for the sales company’s computer system to analyze and determine if any of the change requests can be satisfied by simply swapping the vehicle with a dealer who has submitted a change that is the exact reverse change request. For example, if a dealer in Boston wants to exchange a blue ES 350 Lux. for a black ES 350 Ult. Lux. and a dealer in Chicago has a black ES 350 Prem. and wants a blue ES 350 Lux., then the computer can simply swap the dealer assignments. If this online swap is successful, then the virtual swap is made and both dealers will be notified.
* If the above swap is not available, then the changes are sent to the manufacturing computer system that checks to ensure that the change can be made without exceeding any of the manufacturing constraints. Each assembly plant establishes a fluctuation allowance for each vehicle option, including color. Each dealer change request is systematically evaluated to make sure that none of the allowances are exceeded. If the change is accepted, the vehicle specifications are changed and the result is sent back to the dealer via the sales company. Also, the dealer will be notified if the change cannot be accepted, so the dealer can modify it or leave it in a pending status to be reprocessed the next day. Vehicles changed at the factory are usually delivered in 30 to 40 days.

4. The last resort (or fourth option) is to request a build-to-order vehicle from the regional office. That step would require the region to input the special order in the next month’s order cycle. A special request order typically has a very long lead time (usually three or more months).
Moorekx (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 11:56 PM
glamglam
Instructor

I found the exact 2021 production numbers for the ES350. The highest production occurs in the months of March, May, June and July and December. Production for this year for 2022 should be the exact same.
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/lexus-es-sales-figures/

Last edited by glamglam; 02-22-22 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 12:20 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I found the exact 2021 production numbers for the ES350. The highest production occurs in the months of March, May, June and July and December. Production for this year for 2022 should be the exact same.
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/lexus-es-sales-figures/
No, 2022's production numbers should NOT be the exact same as 2021, and you should hope they aren't. The reason those months were highest is because COVID in Southeast Asia and chip shortages worldwide forced Toyota into 40-50% production cuts in September, October and November 2021. It does NOT predict this year, unless you're forecasting a fall pandemic relapse. (Spoiler Alert: The next relapse will come a lot sooner than that, as the Omicron BA.2 variant is already spreading through multiple continents and is starting to establish a beachhead in America.)

Sorry.
dklanecky1 (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 01:22 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
No, 2022's production numbers should NOT be the exact same as 2021, and you should hope they aren't. The reason those months were highest is because COVID in Southeast Asia and chip shortages worldwide forced Toyota into 40-50% production cuts in September, October and November 2021. It does NOT predict this year, unless you're forecasting a fall pandemic relapse. (Spoiler Alert: The next relapse will come a lot sooner than that, as the Omicron BA.2 variant is already spreading through multiple continents and is starting to establish a beachhead in America.)

Sorry.
If the 2022 production numbers are not the same as the 2021 production numbers like you say, then they will be higher than the 2021 production numbers. There's no way that the 2022 production numbers will be lower than the 2021 production numbers. Even if the Omicron BA 2 variant happens, production in the Kentucky plant will not decrease or stop. Production will continue and it will increase and more cars will be built at the ES Lexus plant in Kentucky. That's what is going to happen and that's what's happening as of right now.

Last edited by glamglam; 02-22-22 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Special/Custom Order