ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 Ultra Luxury - Panoramic Roof durability

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 06:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I did love the added light with a pano roof when I had once years ago. Now with the FSport, I only have a conventional sunroof but honestly I keep the shade closed most of the time - I love the look of the full black headliner!
Old 02-16-22, 06:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
List of the Cons of a Panoramic Sunroof:

This design allows more heat to enter your vehicle during the day. ...
There is less headroom available in most models with a panoramic sunroof. ...
It adds more weight to the roof of the vehicle. ...
It adds noise and complexity to your vehicle.
Driving in the rain is much louder.
Condensation can collect on the glass during the colder months.
The design could reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle.
This design allows more heat to enter your vehicle during the day. ... (They have a shade for that.)
There is less headroom available in most models with a panoramic sunroof. ... (It has more than the standard sunroof. by a whole .1" for the front. Rear is the exact same.)
It adds more weight to the roof of the vehicle. ... (Less than 100 lbs.Not really something anyone would notice.)
It adds noise and complexity to your vehicle. (Noise level in perfect weather is negligible. Complexity, as in more moving parts?)
Driving in the rain is much louder. (Actually, it's quieter. Rain on tempered glass is quieter than on a metal roof. Not to mention, it won't dent in a mild hail storm, like the metal roof would.)
Condensation can collect on the glass during the colder months. (Not sure what this is about. Do you mean it's hard to see out of when it gets condensation on it?)
The design could reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle. (This is a bad guess. The ES does not get a reduced crash test grade with the pano, vs the standard sunroof.)

Lexus should consider allowing the option to delete the sunroof, as it's obvious some have no interest in it. Living in the Midwest, it's a must have for me. the bigger the better! If I lived down in FL, then a convertible would be a must.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
bc6152 (02-16-22), Moorekx (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22, 07:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

"Structural rigidity" is objectively reduced w/ the pano roof, but "crash test grade" isn't the only consideration. I'm not your average layman/citizen/civilian on this topic. =D
We had similar discussions well over a decade ago w/ BMWs and differing layers of torsion ratings depending on options because BMW publishes such data.

Old 02-16-22, 07:35 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
"Structural rigidity" is objectively reduced w/ the pano roof, but "crash test grade" isn't the only consideration.
Fascinated to hear you share your expertise in more detail on this one.
Old 02-16-22, 08:13 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

My 2022 is coming with a Panoramic Sun Roof? Should I be concerned ? My goal was to have a quiet and peaceful luxury experience. I’m not looking for a rigid tight sport sedan. I’m hoping Lexus has made improvements over the years. Although my SC430 was a hard top convertible not a pano sun roof… I was expecting the same level of excellence and experience.
Old 02-16-22, 08:31 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Moorekx
My 2022 is coming with a Panoramic Sun Roof? Should I be concerned ?
No, I don't think so. I've had mine for 2.5 years. It's been trouble-free. I would have preferred a moonroof due to the added weight, but I don't ever think about it, except when I read this forum.
Old 02-16-22, 08:45 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Moorekx
My 2022 is coming with a Panoramic Sun Roof? Should I be concerned ? My goal was to have a quiet and peaceful luxury experience. I’m not looking for a rigid tight sport sedan. I’m hoping Lexus has made improvements over the years. Although my SC430 was a hard top convertible not a pano sun roof… I was expecting the same level of excellence and experience.
For most people, no one would notice the difference. Especially when listening to music or audio. I would test drive any ES350 with a Pano. roof and drive areas where you travel most often. Try the interstate at higher speeds, go over bumpy roads and really test drive that car. That's truly the only way to know if you will be satisfied with the experience. You will most likely find the experience exactly as you have described. Keep in mind that the 22 has a longer warranty as well so if anything does happen, as I've experienced, you are covered. I really liked my 2019 with Pano. roof. The 22 is better than my 2019. It's my preference NOT to have the Pano. plus I saved $1000+ going with a standard moonroof on my 22 UL. Most of the drawbacks you will read are just nitpicking as most will be perfectly happy!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-31-24 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 08:55 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
This design allows more heat to enter your vehicle during the day. ... (They have a shade for that.)
There is less headroom available in most models with a panoramic sunroof. ... (It has more than the standard sunroof. by a whole .1" for the front. Rear is the exact same.)
It adds more weight to the roof of the vehicle. ... (Less than 100 lbs.Not really something anyone would notice.)
It adds noise and complexity to your vehicle. (Noise level in perfect weather is negligible. Complexity, as in more moving parts?)
Driving in the rain is much louder. (Actually, it's quieter. Rain on tempered glass is quieter than on a metal roof. Not to mention, it won't dent in a mild hail storm, like the metal roof would.)
Condensation can collect on the glass during the colder months. (Not sure what this is about. Do you mean it's hard to see out of when it gets condensation on it?)
The design could reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle. (This is a bad guess. The ES does not get a reduced crash test grade with the pano, vs the standard sunroof.)

Lexus should consider allowing the option to delete the sunroof, as it's obvious some have no interest in it. Living in the Midwest, it's a must have for me. the bigger the better! If I lived down in FL, then a convertible would be a must.
The list describes general potential drawbacks regarding pano. roofs and not just for ES models. Anyone that wants to research can easily find the information just like I did. For example, I personally never experienced condensation issues or the difference in weight being something that affected the experience. The design "could" reduce structural rigidity. but again, anyone that is concerned should look it up. I did notice reduced headroom and somewhat higher noise levels but to each their own.
Old 02-16-22, 09:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Again "rigid and tight" is not just a consideration for "sports sedans" or "OMG DRIFT handling." Quite the opposite actually. Some of the worlds fastest cars around the nurburgring are some of the sloppiest wet noodles in terms of stiffness.

The rigidity is more for suspension tuning (supple ride with softer damping), harmonics, resonance which all feed into NVH characteristics. In other words stiffness=LUXURY.

THAT'S the consideration. That's why the ES has a rear V brace over the Avalon and Camry variants.

Now in the grand scheme of things for the 7ES the pano roof won't make a huge difference, but there will be a difference. Now whether or not you'll perceive it, would likely depend on driving both back to back and your personal ability to distinguish such traits.

The whole point in bringing this up is for purposes of discussion & consideration for anyone debating pano roof or not. nothing more nothing less. As with most things there's a trade off.

There's a tradeoff for having a sunroof too. having a hole in the roof creates an opening for noise. It is what it is. larger the opening, the bigger the compromise.
Old 02-16-22, 10:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

There's a tradeoff for having a sunroof too. having a hole in the roof creates an opening for noise. It is what it is. larger the opening, the bigger the compromise.

Hole in the roof creates an opening for leaks - don't care honestly about noise. It's what I hate about sunroofs. I've had two leakers in the past - not fun.
Old 02-16-22, 10:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

... I did notice reduced headroom and somewhat higher noise levels but to each their own.
Lexus disagrees with you on headroom.
  • Headroom (front / rear): 37.5 / 37.8 inches (with moonroof)
  • Headroom (front / rear): 37.6 / 37.8 inches (with panorama glass roof)
https://www.lexusofpalmbeach.com/202...-350-interior/

Old 02-16-22, 11:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

For most people, no one would notice the difference. Especially when listening to music or audio. I would test drive any ES350 with a Pano. roof and drive areas where you travel most often. Try the interstate at higher speeds, go over bumpy roads and really test drive that car. That's truly the only way to know if you will be satisfied with the experience. You will most likely find the experience exactly as you have described. Keep in mind that the 22 has a longer warranty as well so if anything does happen, as I've experienced, you are covered. I really liked my 2019 with Pano. roof. The 22 is better than my 2019. It's my preference NOT to have the Pano. plus I saved $1000+ going with a standard moonroof on my 22 UL. Most of the drawbacks you will read are just nitpicking as most will be perfectly happy!
Good luck with a warranty claim on glass breakage.
Old 02-16-22, 11:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Good luck with a warranty claim on glass breakage.
That's what insurance is for. That said, I don't think pano glass breakage has been an issue with the ES.
Old 02-16-22, 11:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
That's what insurance is for. That said, I don't think pano glass breakage has been an issue with the ES.
Yeah definitely generally gets pushed to glass coverage.
Old 02-16-22, 12:21 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Yeah definitely generally gets pushed to glass coverage.
Never heard of that. In IL, it gets lumped in with our Comprehensive coverage with a low, or 0 deductible.

Quick Reply: 2019 Ultra Luxury - Panoramic Roof durability