2019 Ultra Luxury - Panoramic Roof durability

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22 | 06:36 AM
playmkr56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019 Ultra Luxury - Panoramic Roof durability

All,

Anyone have concerns about the durability of the panoramic glass roof on the 19 ES350 Ultra Luxury?

On my 2017 ultra luxury, the rubber around the glass roof panels peeled/cracked and ultimatley needes replacement with only 37000km on the vehicle. Looked super ugly and bothered me all the time.

Does anyone have any problems or concerns with their glass roof panels? Especially the rubber surrounds/weather stripping? I'm wondering how it will hold up over time.

I live in Ontario, Canada...weather is similar to Buffalo, NY...cold winters, hot summers.
Old 02-14-22 | 08:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,662 Posts

A member here had a leak and Lexus couldn't fix it. I believe he traded the car in after being frustrated. I wouldn't do it. It's heavy, complex, expensive. It also makes your car structurally weaker.
Old 02-14-22 | 09:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

The problem is that if you want an UL model, you get the pano roof. I wouldn't even get a sun roof if I could order a car that way let alone a pano roof. I opened it once when I got the car to make sure it worked. That was 3 years ago. Hate the thought of replacing rubber seals around it but the weather takes it's toll.
The following users liked this post:
CHD (04-12-24)
Old 02-14-22 | 10:27 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Love my Pano roof on my 2019. Bought it new a little over 2 year, no problems.

Old 02-14-22 | 12:15 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
A member here had a leak and Lexus couldn't fix it. I believe he traded the car in after being frustrated. I wouldn't do it. It's heavy, complex, expensive. It also makes your car structurally weaker.
There's a huge/wide beam going across under the pano roof so I would disagree on the weak structural argument.
rVague (08-01-24)
Old 02-14-22 | 12:26 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,055 Likes on 783 Posts

The structure is not weak but the roof itself is too heavy and that is the only reason why you cannot get it on hybrids.
landonm86 (02-17-22)
Old 02-14-22 | 12:28 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
The structure is not weak but the roof itself is too heavy and that is the only reason why you cannot get it on hybrids.
yea. I had 2021 hybrid lux and traded in for an ultralux es350 for the pano room and better engine. Hybrid is so weak

Last edited by mattsrs; 02-14-22 at 05:55 PM.
PrznPrince (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22 | 01:00 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 960 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by playmkr56
All,

Anyone have concerns about the durability of the panoramic glass roof on the 19 ES350 Ultra Luxury?

On my 2017 ultra luxury, the rubber around the glass roof panels peeled/cracked and ultimatley needes replacement with only 37000km on the vehicle. Looked super ugly and bothered me all the time.

Does anyone have any problems or concerns with their glass roof panels? Especially the rubber surrounds/weather stripping? I'm wondering how it will hold up over time.

I live in Ontario, Canada...weather is similar to Buffalo, NY...cold winters, hot summers.
Yes, it's one of my several concerns about the pano roof. I think it reduces headroom (despite its clever engineering), wastes weight, creates more opportunity for trouble, and as I've learned here just recently, comes with some glass breakage concerns as well.

In fact, I was so concerned that I chose to special-order the car and wait, only to find out 4 months later that Lexus flatly refused to build the car (a UL) without the pano roof. Even the dealer's intercession did not budge the factory off this decision. Faced with that choice, I test-sat a pano-roof car just to ascertain that I could live with the headroom, then reluctantly gave my OK. To the dealership's credit, in this set of circumstances they volunteered to waive its cost, which I truly appreciate.

So, the epilogue: Do I prefer it? No. Do those concerns remain? Yes. Has it done anything meaningful so far to spoil my enjoyment of the car? No. Honestly, the two-tone exterior outside looks really sharp, and the operation of the roof mechanism is quite cool to watch. It'll do.

Mugger52 (03-14-23)
Old 02-14-22 | 02:34 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Yes, it's one of my several concerns about the pano roof. I think it reduces headroom (despite its clever engineering), wastes weight, creates more opportunity for trouble, and as I've learned here just recently, comes with some glass breakage concerns as well.

In fact, I was so concerned that I chose to special-order the car and wait, only to find out 4 months later that Lexus flatly refused to build the car (a UL) without the pano roof. Even the dealer's intercession did not budge the factory off this decision. Faced with that choice, I test-sat a pano-roof car just to ascertain that I could live with the headroom, then reluctantly gave my OK. To the dealership's credit, in this set of circumstances they volunteered to waive its cost, which I truly appreciate.

So, the epilogue: Do I prefer it? No. Do those concerns remain? Yes. Has it done anything meaningful so far to spoil my enjoyment of the car? No. Honestly, the two-tone exterior outside looks really sharp, and the operation of the roof mechanism is quite cool to watch. It'll do.
I would have preferred not to have the pano roof, but I must say this. I opened the shade about a month ago and have left it open ever since. It's nice to have the extra light and heat of the sun in the winter.
Old 02-14-22 | 05:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
yea. I had 2021 hybrid lux and traded in for an ultralux for the pano room and better engine. Hybrid is so weak
Uh oh - take cover before the hybrid owners come after you🤤
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
landonm86 (02-17-22), LexFinally (02-14-22)
Old 02-15-22 | 06:16 AM
RobertJay
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So true. Great in winter.
Old 02-15-22 | 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I have 3 separate docs.

That "thing" you see on the pano roof model going down the middle is not structural. That's just a "beauty cover" to cover electronics and other parts.

The non-pano (standard) model actually has a specific reinforcement of high-grade high-strength UHSS the pano model does NOT have. It's just one big open hole for the pano model.

Non-pano actually shows 4 additional reinforcements not present in the pano version. But only one of those is UHSS and is both quite expensive and quite strong. The others are likely for the roof panel skin so it stays quiet and has some support.
Old 02-16-22 | 12:57 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 545 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by playmkr56
All,

On my 2019 Lexus, I experienced seal issues that led to increased road noise at around 1,000 miles. Lexus eventually replaced the glass roof after three visits and ten days in the service department, thankfully resolving the issue. In my experience, panoramic glass roofs introduce more cabin noise, and with my preferred driving position, the reduced headroom was noticeable, though not a dealbreaker. Additionally, colder climates with ice and snow exacerbated the noise issue.

I was fortunate to get my 2022 UL special order exactly as I'd hoped, with the standard moonroof. @LexFinally ordered essentially the same car but unfortunately ended up with the panoramic glass roof, even though that wasn't his preference. He was denied.

Here's a rundown of the potential drawbacks of a panoramic glass roof:
  • Increased heat: The larger glass surface can turn your car into a bit of an oven on sunny days.
  • Reduced headroom: Models with panoramic roofs sacrifice a bit of headspace for that open-air feel.
  • Added weight: The glass panel and its mechanisms add extra weight to the roof, potentially affecting handling and fuel efficiency. There is a reason why the ES 300h, 250, and F-Sport Handling grades/trims are sans panoramic glass roofs.
  • Noise and complexity: The moving parts and larger surface area can create more noise in the cabin, especially in bad weather. Rain noise, in particular, can be quite noticeable.
  • Condensation: In colder weather, condensation can form on the glass, sometimes leading to drips or obstructing visibility. In freezing weather, moisture between the glass and seals can potentially be a nuisance.
  • Potential structural impact: While modern panoramic roof designs are generally safe, some argue that the large glass panel could theoretically affect the vehicle's structural integrity in extreme scenarios, such as rollovers. Additionally, there's a slightly greater potential for glass breakage compared to a traditional metal roof.
It's not all bad news though. Panoramic roofs undeniably enhance the car's aesthetic appeal, which is likely why dealerships often equip their ES models with them – it's a good way to boost the price tag, and most buyers do seem to like them. They certainly create a more open and airy feel in the cabin, flooding it with natural light. But for me, those benefits just weren't enough to compensate for the potential drawbacks. So, when it came to my second ES, I went with the trusty old moonroof that almost never got opened. To each their own!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-31-24 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-16-22 | 04:13 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Thankfully! Living in Florida I would be fine with no sunroof.
bc6152 (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22 | 04:14 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Uh oh - take cover before the hybrid owners come after you🤤
Nah we don't care. Not everyone gets it.
landonm86 (02-17-22)

Quick Reply: 2019 Ultra Luxury - Panoramic Roof durability