ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Best method to remove/cut the front USB cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23 | 07:07 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Thread resurrection!

I love this thread, BTW. All respect to mattsrs for starting it. I share his exasperation with this stupid design 100%. I got the stubby little USB drive and the stubby little low-profile cable, and I STILL can't close either door because the smaller door is so perversely designed. If it were simply missing, exactly as stated above, I could just shut the door on the whole mess.

And to the question above about why you'd want the door closed to conceal the wires: If you've ever walked in a major downtown as I have and seen a parked car with its window smashed out because a visible cable had suggested to a thief that he might luck into stealing an iPhone, you wouldn't ask.
Old 07-09-23 | 05:44 AM
Jimmybasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Thread resurrection!

I love this thread, BTW. All respect to mattsrs for starting it. I share his exasperation with this stupid design 100%. I got the stubby little USB drive and the stubby little low-profile cable, and I STILL can't close either door because the smaller door is so perversely designed. If it were simply missing, exactly as stated above, I could just shut the door on the whole mess.

And to the question above about why you'd want the door closed to conceal the wires: If you've ever walked in a major downtown as I have and seen a parked car with its window smashed out because a visible cable had suggested to a thief that he might luck into stealing an iPhone, you wouldn't ask.
Good point! Plus I like things neat and tidy
Old 07-09-23 | 05:47 AM
Jimmybasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by mattsrs
It is this item from aliexpress but it comes in many configuration of angles for each side of the cable connectors. I don't remember which one is the actual config I ended up getting so please make sure you select the left connector angle on both ends
Thanks! I ordered several different varieties from Ali express.They were very inexpensive some items the shipping cost was more than the item themselves.
Old 07-09-23 | 06:53 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jimmybasco
Thanks! I ordered several different varieties from Ali express.They were very inexpensive some items the shipping cost was more than the item themselves.
That is what I did to be safe This may be too late since you ordered already, but here's the cable configuration that works and is in my photo above of this thread:

Old 07-09-23 | 06:05 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Default Try Before you Cut

Originally Posted by Jimmybasco
Over several months, I too ordered way too many useless cables from Amazon and Ali Express. Was about to give up, and begin altering my center console, when I asked one of the Ali Express vendors if they could make me a customer one... they didn't need to... it's already made for our ES's.

Check out this link before you cut... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11490800.

Ali Express makes an ultra short USB for our cars. I have a 2022 with Ottocast and am able to easily close the front lid without having cut anything. Works wirelessly everytime.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-23 | 11:20 AM
Jimmybasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by mattsrs
That is what I did to be safe This may be too late since you ordered already, but here's the cable configuration that works and is in my photo above of this thread:

I ordered 2 of those plus 2 of the USB A male to USB A female adapters in case I want to plug in a usb dongle. I was getting ready to break off the small cover after spending hours searching this forum and the internet at large. I was pointed in the right direction after I posed the question. Thank you all for your response. Thats what this forum and others of its kind are for. I wonder if one of the forum moderators can merge these threads so future search results will populate the relevent posts. This may prevent others from embarking on the unecessary task of removing the small cover or worse trying to remove the center console in order to hide their AA \ ACP cable.
Old 01-06-24 | 01:19 PM
erlnet
9th Gear

Mattsrs - Would you be able to give a link to where you purchased the cable - looks like something I want to try and don't want to have to try a lot of different cables.
Old 01-06-24 | 01:45 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by erlnet
Mattsrs - Would you be able to give a link to where you purchased the cable - looks like something I want to try and don't want to have to try a lot of different cables.
Here's the link that was provided in the old thread:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
Old 01-06-24 | 08:47 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TechNut
I am puzzled by the intense desire to close the lid down over the cup holder and USB ports. Does nobody else here use the cup holder? I cannot close the lid anyway as my wife typically has a drink in the cup holder. She never leaves the house without one. If I had a complaint (and I don’t really) it would be to question the logic of placing the USB ports right beside a receptacle specifically designed to hold fluids. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I think it was a bigger error to make the USB data port THAT port, and not a different one. If the data port was in the armrest, no one would be talking about this. They should have anticipated that when a data port is in use, it is basically in use permanently for some peripheral It should thus be connected elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by minotaar:
landonm86 (01-16-24), LexTess (01-06-24)
Old 01-12-24 | 09:58 AM
daye
1st Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
^Well let me rephrase that. if you want to reroute the wire the whole console needs to come out. but if you want to unplug that door thing, IIRC you can remove just the top part. it's been a while. maybe look for my earlier posts to confirm lol

what i did was hardwire the USB box as to have ZERO wires coming from the cupholder area in order to use ACP. the box was stuffed below the center console and USB wire was rerouted to the inside of the center console storage area for stealth access.

what type of connection is on the bottom of the box. And how did you hardwire. I would like to relocate the entire box but I need to understand the connection before I do that.