ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Significant impact of tires on noise and comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 04:32 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 19ES350lux
My ‘19 350 Lux. had Michelin and my 22’UL 350 has the Michelin A/S Energy saver.
Nice! I got the short end of the stick on my 22 350 UL then
Old 03-02-22, 06:13 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Nice! I got the short end of the stick on my 22 350 UL then
My '22 350 UL came with Michelin Energy Savers, and they were no great shakes. I got them off as fast as I could.
Old 03-02-22, 06:41 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
My '22 350 UL came with Michelin Energy Savers, and they were no great shakes. I got them off as fast as I could.
What did you replace them with and whats your impression of those so far?
Old 03-02-22, 07:19 PM
LexFinally
Racer

What did you replace them with and whats your impression of those so far?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro. They have a short life, but a reputation for being outstanding at putting accelerative power to the ground. Even at that, there are no miracles when you channel 302 horses through two tires with no limited slip — it's still easy enough to spin 'em. On the positive side, ride and noise comfort are better than you'd expect from a performance-oriented tire with winter capability. I think soft rubber is the explanatiion for all of the above.

For me, the Pirellis are probabaly great if you're not in the Northeast or Midwest. If you are, I'd do these, the Michelin Primacy or Michelin CrossClimate 2. Just me.
The following users liked this post:
Moorekx (03-02-22)
Old 03-02-22, 11:23 PM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Vredestein Quatrac Pro. They have a short life, but a reputation for being outstanding at putting accelerative power to the ground. Even at that, there are no miracles when you channel 302 horses through two tires with no limited slip — it's still easy enough to spin 'em. On the positive side, ride and noise comfort are better than you'd expect from a performance-oriented tire with winter capability. I think soft rubber is the explanatiion for all of the above.

For me, the Pirellis are probabaly great if you're not in the Northeast or Midwest. If you are, I'd do these, the Michelin Primacy or Michelin CrossClimate 2. Just me.
I pick my new 2022 UL up this afternoon and I already have a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pros in the garage waiting. I was very please with these tires on my last car and plan on getting them installed very soon.
LexFinally (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 03:31 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Moorekx
I pick my new 2022 UL up this afternoon and I already have a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pros in the garage waiting. I was very please with these tires on my last car and plan on getting them installed very soon.
congrats on the UL! Send photos please 😀
Old 03-03-22, 08:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

My Hybrid also had Michelin A/S Energy saver. I think they most likely fit Hybrids with Michelins and ES350 with Bridgestones. Tire Rack is a good place to find road test results and data from verified customer reviews. From my research, the new Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3s are the way to go if you want something well rounded with focus on quietness and comfort.
My hybrid ES came with Bridgestone Turanzas. I cannot see any specific logic to how they fit tires from the factory. My RX hybrid came with Michelin Premiers.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-03-22 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 09:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

21 Hybrid. Michelin Energy. They're quiet, ride nice. Traction is on the low side. But don't care enough to replace them before they wear. The only annoying thing is the little slits on the side which make the tire hard to clean.

Old 03-03-22, 09:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Both of our Lexus models (ES and RX) came with Michelin tires and neither one did well on tread life. Both now have Goodyear Maxlife Assurance tires which are far superior (ride, noise, wear etc) to the oem Michelins.
Old 03-03-22, 09:55 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
21 Hybrid. Michelin Energy. They're quiet, ride nice. Traction is on the low side. But don't care enough to replace them before they wear. The only annoying thing is the little slits on the side which make the tire hard to clean.

My Michelins have DOT4619, so almost 3 years old, but they roar like crazy.
Old 03-03-22, 10:01 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Both of our Lexus models (ES and RX) came with Michelin tires and neither one did well on tread life. Both now have Goodyear Maxlife Assurance tires which are far superior (ride, noise, wear etc) to the oem Michelins.
Key phrase there is "OEM." The carmakers exercise enormous control over the design criteria of many OEM tires, and some perform differently than aftermarket tires that carry the same model names. In the case of Michelin Eco Energy Savers, independent testing has rated them far lower in multiple performance categories than other Michelin tires available for our cars, including Premier and CrossClimate II.

All that said, glad you're having a good experience with your Goodyears.
Old 03-03-22, 12:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Key phrase there is "OEM." The carmakers exercise enormous control over the design criteria of many OEM tires, and some perform differently than aftermarket tires that carry the same model names. In the case of Michelin Eco Energy Savers, independent testing has rated them far lower in multiple performance categories than other Michelin tires available for our cars, including Premier and CrossClimate II.

All that said, glad you're having a good experience with your Goodyears.
Yep I understand that but still didn't feel confident replacing them with ****chelins The Goodyears on my wife's RX now have roughly 30K miles with minimal sign of wear - the Michelins were shot by then.
LexFinally (03-03-22)
Old 03-04-22, 06:05 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TLDR; stock Bridgestone tires are garbage! Change them if you care about comfort and road noise

I have had a 22 ES350 UL for the past 2-3 weeks coming from a 21 300h Lux and immediately noticed more road noise and harshness on road imperfections. My new car (ES350) came with Bridgestone Turanza El440 and the previous 300h had Michelin eco saver A/S on them. After doing lots of research, ended up choosing Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 as probably one of the best tires out there for comfort and noise. They were replaced today and I took a ride and the difference is night and day! Basically there's no tire noise on smooth pavement. Even with music/radio off, I hear wind noise and engine noise and nothing from the tire. It also a lot more comfortable over bumps and small road imperfections. I am shocked that Lexus delivers cars with that garbage of Bridgestone tires as they are shooting themselves in the foot! Spent around $870 total including replacement labor and to me it was worth every penny.
my 2022 UL came with Michelin eco savers on the noise reducing wheels. they ride smooth and quiet. I prefer michelin with pirelli as my second choice.. ive run those P7's on another car. i dont really like how the P7 have a more rolled sidewall with less rim protection. i like the more vertical design of the michelin sidewall.
Old 03-04-22, 06:09 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I will never buy goodyears again. I had some goodyear assurance on another car and hydroplaned like crazy.. lucky i caught the slide right before hitting the guardrail and without any of the cars behind me on the freeway colliding with me. I had just got the tires.. i took them back and used the warranty to switch brands.. and the manager told i was the second to come in that month with the same issue. The treadwear is suppose to be good but the rubber compound is too hard in wet conditions. I hope you have better luck than i did.
Old 03-04-22, 06:19 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 007
my 2022 UL came with Michelin eco savers on the noise reducing wheels. they ride smooth and quiet. I prefer michelin with pirelli as my second choice.. ive run those P7's on another car. i dont really like how the P7 have a more rolled sidewall with less rim protection. i like the more vertical design of the michelin sidewall.
Michelin Cross Climate 2 is hands down the most well rounded A/S GT tire on the market. I chose the gen 3 P7s as wanted to prioritize comfort and noise and they are a bit quieter than Michelins and I suspect they will last a bit longer than CrossClimate 2

Quick Reply: Significant impact of tires on noise and comfort