ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 Wind Noise ES UL

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 04:07 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy 2022 Wind Noise ES UL

Greetings Everyone. Just purchased about a month and half ago a 2022 ES UL Cloudburst. Excellent. One issue has developed over the last three days. I have wind noise coming from the front passenger side, corner or near vent. Have closed side mirrors, opened and closed all windows, check panoramic moon roof by opening and closing to no avail. Starts around 40 miles+. Music playing or using streaming on Car Play cannot hear unless low volume or radio turned off. Check the rubber molding at all windows and moon roof, but no issue seen. I know sometimes this was an issue on prior ES before 2022. Anyone with this issue who can guide me with the dealership. Hoping it is not the windshield.

Most appreciative.
Old 03-01-22, 04:23 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Base Premium 2022 ES Cloudburst and I likewise have the same issue as well. I was hopeful perhaps the Acoustic Glass and/or Noise Reduction Rims (both of which the UL has) could be options but it does seem to be a wide issue. Which kind of tires do you have? I have Michelin Energy Savers on mine, which I understand are better than the Bridgestones.
Old 03-01-22, 04:25 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

One board regular (maybe he's reading this) found his wind noise was coming from the seams in his outside mirror. IIRC, he experimented with clogging them and made it stop. Search this forum.
Old 03-01-22, 04:46 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks much. I have the Bridgestones tires which in past Lexus Vehicles I had the Michelin tires. Have the Acoustic glass and noise reduction rims. Wind noise does sound around passenger side mirror or that area. Like the idea of seams around the side mirror.
Old 03-01-22, 05:59 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
One board regular (maybe he's reading this) found his wind noise was coming from the seams in his outside mirror. IIRC, he experimented with clogging them and made it stop. Search this forum.
What did he clog the mirror seams with? Did the dealer do the repairs?
Old 03-02-22, 08:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Just take it in if you think there's an issue.
Old 03-02-22, 12:42 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM
Thanks much. I have the Bridgestones tires which in past Lexus Vehicles I had the Michelin tires. Have the Acoustic glass and noise reduction rims. Wind noise does sound around passenger side mirror or that area. Like the idea of seams around the side mirror.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...d-comfort.html

Another user just confirmed replacing the Bridgestone tires fixed theirs.
Old 03-03-22, 07:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

hes talking about specific wind noise around the mirror though and not general road/tyre noise.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (03-03-22)
Old 03-04-22, 02:53 PM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I just took delivery of my 2022 Clouidburst grey UL and I also have this wind noise. I replaced my tires with only 75 miles on them and it didn’t effect the wind noise at all. I figured it must be normal. I only hear it at highway speeds and it is annoying. Please post if this can be fixed.
Old 03-04-22, 03:00 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Like most year I two hear win noise near the windows at highway speed. It’s not extremely loud but I had hoped for a $50,000 car I would hear a little to no wind noise. I guess you have to get into the hundred thousand dollar range before that happens…lol
Moorekx (03-05-22)
Old 03-04-22, 03:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Here's how I like to think of it: Just know the ES is one of the quietest in the class. Don't think about I hear XYZ noise because if you hear it in a Lexus, you'll hear it in an Acura or Volvo. Is the ES quietest in its class? Probaby not, but probably pretty close. I'm betting the Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series is a wee bit quieter. But 7ES is still one of the best. Go into it like that as you drive and remember if you were in another top car in the class, the result wouldn't be that different, if any. And yes no matter what car, mirrors are always a potential for noise. Think about it every car has basically a foot of plastic sticking out in the air stream. This is why there needs to be an industry push to remove side mirrors. The US is one of the last big countries that still requires them, thus drives car design. We can use cameras today. This would use less energy (fuel or electricity) and cause less noise. All around a win.

That being said I'm quite happy with the ES road/wind noise.

With electric, we'll get a big jump in quietness cause the bones of electric cars are much beefier and better optimized.
Old 03-04-22, 03:56 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Here's how I like to think of it: Just know the ES is one of the quietest in the class. Don't think about I hear XYZ noise because if you hear it in a Lexus, you'll hear it in an Acura or Volvo. Is the ES quietest in its class? Probaby not, but probably pretty close. I'm betting the Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series is a wee bit quieter. But 7ES is still one of the best. Go into it like that as you drive and remember if you were in another top car in the class, the result wouldn't be that different, if any. And yes no matter what car, mirrors are always a potential for noise. Think about it every car has basically a foot of plastic sticking out in the air stream. This is why there needs to be an industry push to remove side mirrors. The US is one of the last big countries that still requires them, thus drives car design. We can use cameras today. This would use less energy (fuel or electricity) and cause less noise. All around a win.

That being said I'm quite happy with the ES road/wind noise.

With electric, we'll get a big jump in quietness cause the bones of electric cars are much beefier and better optimized.
I think your comment is a perceptive one and I generally agree with it, but I'll add one little asterisk of my personal opinion: I think the ES is the quietest car in its class, because I don't consider the V6 versions of the G80, 5 Series or A6 to be in its class. When you cost $15k more, you're a class up and you SHOULD be better.
Old 03-05-22, 01:37 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok, so I just ordered the Shin Etsu silicone grease for Honda. I will condition the seals around the pano roof ands see if it helps.
LexFinally (03-05-22)
Old 01-25-23, 04:22 PM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

just took my recently purchased, very low mileage, es350 base with upgrades (18 inch wheels, pano sun/moon roof, etc) in for service with a complaint of excessive wind noise from left side. Noise started at 43MPH and became excessive at highway speed. Service advisor told me there was a service bulletin addressing the issue and it called for replacing the left rear quarter panel glass. Damned if that didn't fix the problem! Noise is GREATLY reduced. The road and wind noise are quite acceptable now. Just thought I'd share for those of you still experiencing excessive wind noise (to the point that it sounds like a window is not quite closed). Good luck.
LexFinally (01-26-23)
Old 01-25-23, 08:39 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
just took my recently purchased, very low mileage, es350 base with upgrades (18 inch wheels, pano sun/moon roof, etc) in for service with a complaint of excessive wind noise from left side. Noise started at 43MPH and became excessive at highway speed. Service advisor told me there was a service bulletin addressing the issue and it called for replacing the left rear quarter panel glass. Damned if that didn't fix the problem! Noise is GREATLY reduced. The road and wind noise are quite acceptable now. Just thought I'd share for those of you still experiencing excessive wind noise (to the point that it sounds like a window is not quite closed). Good luck.
That's very good to know that Lexus pinpointed the wind noise problem. Especially when they put out a service bulletin on this issue. What year is your ES350? Do you have the Ultra Luxury model or the Premium model? I could be wrong, but I think that the Panoramic Sunroof comes only with the Ultra Luxury model.

Quick Reply: 2022 Wind Noise ES UL