ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Eco Driving Mode ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 05:37 PM
landonm86
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Eco Driving Mode ES300H

Since fuel prices are over $4.50 in my area, I’ve switched to driving in Eco Mode. It sucks. 🥴 But the savings at the pump is worth it right now, and I appreciate having the option to drive like I have a Prius when I want to conserve fuel!
Old 03-08-22, 06:16 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

That's pretty good MPG. I drive in eco mode all the time and my combined is 35MPG these days. I am using regular fuel. What's your secret?
Old 03-08-22, 06:47 PM
TXWJ
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Eco mode for a tank.
Old 03-08-22, 07:13 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Gotta say I’m jealous as someone who sold hybrid to get the v6
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (03-11-22)
Old 03-08-22, 08:34 PM
landonm86
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
That's pretty good MPG. I drive in eco mode all the time and my combined is 35MPG these days. I am using regular fuel. What's your secret?
honestly, in the dead of winter I couldn’t get past 40 mpg. But now that it’s warming up I see much better fuel economy. I drive with a feather foot and coast whenever I can. Also try to avoid using the climate control when possible.
Old 03-08-22, 10:11 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

I am on Eco all the time, since here (MNE) gallon is almost $8:

landonm86 (03-08-22)
Old 03-09-22, 05:00 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

I get 42 in regular mode. It is far more painful to drive in eco for 4mpg more. $4.50 a week extra to make the driving experience more enjoyable is worth it to me.
landonm86 (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 05:19 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by landonm86
honestly, in the dead of winter I couldn’t get past 40 mpg. But now that it’s warming up I see much better fuel economy. I drive with a feather foot and coast whenever I can. Also try to avoid using the climate control when possible.

Even in summer time my combined mpg doesn't get past 40. I use my climate control all the times (set at 70 degrees). I think that is what is causing the majority of the hit to my mpg. When I drive in normal mode I get 2mpg less.
landonm86 (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 07:15 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I had 3 Camry hybrids and 1 Prius hybrid. The Camrys didn’t go anymore than 32mpg and the Prius didn’t go anymore than 35mpg. Also, they were all anemic with no power. Hybrid doesn’t do anything for me. The hybrids aren’t worth it. I’d rather pay an extra $5 more per fill up and not sacrifice the power.

The same thing happened back in 2008 when gas prices were almost $5 a gallon. I used to own a 2008 brand new 350hp Dodge Charger with a V8 that had a 19 gallon gas tank. The cost of filling up with premium gasoline in that car back then was around $80 to $95 depending on whether I filled up when the tank was 3/4 full or empty. Back then, I was paying $10 to $15 more during each fill up because my car had a bigger gas tank than the rice burner cars had. The economic impact wasn’t felt having to fill up my Charger back then. That extra $10 to $15 that I spent on gasoline back in 2008 didn’t make a big difference to me. I was getting 22mpg overall average gas mileage in that car. If I did only city driving, I got an average of 18 to 19mpg. I would fill the car once a week or once every week and a half. I also split the driving between my Charger and the rice burner Camry hybrid, so the impact of the higher gasoline prices weren’t bad.

This time around, I’m going to be driving a brand new ES350 Ultra Luxury that gets around 25 to 30 mpg and which will take regular gasoline. The difference in fuel economy between the non hybrid and the hybrid ES vehicles isn’t much. I will still be saving money on the gasoline from my car taking regular gasoline and not premium gasoline and I will retain the 302hp for greater power. So owning a hybrid isn’t worth it for me.

Last edited by glamglam; 03-09-22 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-09-22, 07:23 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I had 3 Camry hybrids and 1 Prius hybrid. The Camrys didn’t go anymore than 32mpg and the Prius didn’t go anymore than 35mpg. Also, they were all anemic with no power. Hybrid doesn’t do anything for me. The hybrids aren’t worth it. I’d rather pay an extra $5 more per fill up and not sacrifice the power.
You should probably try the 7th generation ES hybrid. Your reference points are out dated. I get 42MPG and I jump on it all the time. The car has ample power.

I do agree if you were a Charger guy in the past, you probably wouldn't be a hybrid person. A Charger would never make it on my list of cars to shop.
landonm86 (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 07:29 AM
ionian
Instructor

I guess me and glamglam are both lead foot drivers. Although in past couple of years I have been trying to graduate from this camp and trying hard to reform. I used to get 17mpg combined on V6. Old habits die hard.

Last edited by ionian; 03-09-22 at 07:30 AM. Reason: ...
Old 03-09-22, 08:16 AM
TXWJ
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don’t think if I kept it in sport mode and drove it like I stole it that I can get under 35 miles per gallon
LexFinally (03-11-22)
Old 03-09-22, 08:47 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
Even in summer time my combined mpg doesn't get past 40. I use my climate control all the times (set at 70 degrees). I think that is what is causing the majority of the hit to my mpg. When I drive in normal mode I get 2mpg less.

Turn off your AC compressor, at least in winter time, ans put the HVAC on ECO heat/cool.
Old 03-09-22, 08:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
I agree with @Stoodo . Your reference points may be outdated. I also owned Priuses for ten years. This generation Hybrid ES is nothing like the Priuses I drove. The transmission isn’t sloppy feeling like the Prius (last one was 2010 MY) and the power band is completely different. The mileage achieved with a Prius varies considerably depending on how hard it is driven and it does not make sense for anyone interested in spirited driving. The mileage obtained with the ES doesn’t vary as much with driving techniques.

Having said that, I find the excellent mileage interesting for a car this size, but it isn’t the reason I buy this car or even a hybrid. I can easily afford the gas. For me, it isn’t about the fuel economy! I prefer the quieter and smoother drivetrain of the hybrids. I am amazed at the economy from a largish sedan with what to me is a decent amount of power, but for me it’s just a fun exercise to see how well I can do. I like the “idea” of lower fuel consumption but at the end of the day I don’t really care. Now when I was young and owned that 1968 Dodge Charger (and gas was 80 cents per gallon), a hybrid from today wouldn’t have provided enough power for my type of driving. I just turned 60 and I simply want a comfortable car now. I won’t turn off the climate system because that doesn’t sound like it would meet my definition of “comfort” at all.

Edit: for reference I will add that I average about 41 MPG in the winter months and 45 MPG in the summer months.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-09-22 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-09-22, 09:28 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
I won’t turn off the climate system because that doesn’t sound like it would meet my definition of “comfort” at all.
Good point. It isn't a question of affordability for us in this forum when it comes to gas. I refuse to turn off A/C just to get a few more mpg. I also read it is actually not good for the A/C compressor having it off for extended period of time.

Quick Reply: Eco Driving Mode ES300H