ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Is there new Lexus Software Update for the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22 | 04:56 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ionian
Each manufacturer has its own strengths and weaknesses. I have 2019 ES300h and wish like the next owner about getting some major software updates. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen. Lexus is traditionally a very conservative company that is slow to change and with good reasons. They roll out new technology feature slowly after going through extensive testings and validations. They choose long reliability over bleeding edge. If you want latest edge technology you should go elsewhere.
Hmm, 2 years is more than enough time to develop and check for reliability. The fact that new models have updated software is just stressed the point that Lexus is already using an updated software that was properly checked. So all you wrote doesn't make any sense.
FYI, this Lexus is not my first Lexus. I was driving Lexus since the first LS400 and I know how this company operates. I'm actually see how the service is deteriorated during the years. Each new car nowadays comes with more problems. It is nothing like when it's started in the 1990's.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22 | 05:01 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kalup
Hmm, 2 years is more than enough time to develop and check for reliability. The fact that new models have updated software is just stressed the point that Lexus is already using an updated software that was properly checked. So all you wrote doesn't make any sense.
FYI, this Lexus is not my first Lexus. I was driving Lexus since the first LS400 and I know how this company operates. I'm actually see how the service is deteriorated during the years. Each new car nowadays comes with more problems. It is nothing like when it's started in the 1990's.
Kalup,
What do you think is causing the service at Lexus to deteriorate like this during the years?
Old 03-10-22 | 06:37 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glamglam
Kalup,
What do you think is causing the service at Lexus to deteriorate like this during the years?
The price of the cars.
Car prices during that last 27 years went down by 50-70%. So I think they are trying to lower expenses by doing silly things like not updating software... and doing less reliable part and cars.
Old 03-10-22 | 06:54 PM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kalup
. I was driving Lexus since the first LS400 and I know how this company operates.
Since you know how this company operates you should know the chance that happening is nil. To get all these features in LSS+3.0 to work your vehicle needs the right hardware components. While software is great but there are features you can't simply will into existence through software alone. A lot of modern vehicles have more 100+ ECUs and growing with new features. I used to work for a device manufacturer and closely interacted with their software development and QA teams and it provided me a new perspective and appreciation of how things work behind the scene. Modern vehicle is a super computer on wheels with millions lines of codes among 100+ ECUs working together.
LexFinally (03-11-22)
Old 03-10-22 | 07:17 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Since you know how this company operates you should know the chance that happening is nil. To get all these features in LSS+3.0 to work your vehicle needs the right hardware components. While software is great but there are features you can't simply will into existence through software alone. A lot of modern vehicles have more 100+ ECUs and growing with new features. I used to work for a device manufacturer and closely interacted with their software development and QA teams and it provided me a new perspective and appreciation of how things work behind the scene. Modern vehicle is a super computer on wheels with millions lines of codes among 100+ ECUs working together.
Sure I agree and if you read my previous posts I even mentioned this.
The thing is that not ALL software enhancements require hardware enhancements. By not fixing anything they just causing customers like me to starting to consider after all those years to move to other car equivalent quality manufacturers.
Old 03-11-22 | 05:23 AM
ionian
Instructor

Since owning my 2019 ES300h my vehicle has received a couple of over the air updates for the infotainment system. As for the nav update it asked me to go to the dealer as it takes a couple of hours. I think the new system on 2022 NX is heavily cloud based so updating is a lot easier and most likely doesn't required a visit to the dealer unless something goes south during over the air update process.
Old 03-11-22 | 08:10 PM
veeinc
Pit Crew

It looks like there is a software update that's available https://www.lexus.com/firmware-updates/updates
Old 03-12-22 | 07:00 AM
ionian
Instructor

Yeah, these updates are for Multimedia System. This is an alternative method to updating for those that don't want to wait for over the air update. I live in a good coverage area so I will wait as I don't experience the issues described in release notes.
Old 03-12-22 | 12:04 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Gotta love BMW updates. Hope Lexus starts doing this soon too 😕
​​​​​​​
Kalup (03-12-22)
Old 03-12-22 | 01:54 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

I'm starting to regret ordering an ES. I was at the BMW dealership when shopping... hmmm.... Lexus is so far behind on some things. BMW is great while under warranty, right?
Old 03-12-22 | 02:10 PM
Lead Lap

I think the new system on 2022 NX is heavily cloud based so updating is a lot easier and most likely doesn't required a visit to the dealer unless something goes south during over the air update process.
It’s extremely buggy. Plenty of issues with it - just take a look at the NX forum.
Old 03-12-22 | 02:40 PM
ionian
Instructor

It looks like NX 2022 buyers are beta testers for the new OS. I am sure with time Lexus will fix them a lot of software bugs. I have been noticing the Lexus app on my iPhone has been getting more frequent updates recently Sometimes as quick as once every other week when it used to take a few months. They are ramping up their release schedule.
Old 03-12-22 | 05:28 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I currently also have a BMW X5 and they constantly have updated the software over the air and added new functionality from improving drive assist features to adding Android Auto and I believe they also activated adaptive headlights via software update. Point is Tesla is not a unicorn on this and many other brands also have modernized their software updates. Lexus will be even further behind in technology if they don’t do things via software update. At least theres a software update menu item that doesn’t do anything yet so the functionality is there.
Be careful what you wish for. BMW is also joining Tesla in making capabilities switchable on, AND OFF, remotely. Tesla is so "advanced," they're taking away capabilities from second owners of their cars that the first ones enjoyed, and forcing the second owner to directly pay the manufacturer again to re-enable what was already working. These are aspects of "progress" i can do without.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
dklanecky1 (03-13-22), grp52 (03-12-22)
Old 03-12-22 | 06:55 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

I tried the USB method with no luck on my 2022, I was using both front USB ports in the cupholder area. Is there another location I should be placing the drive?
Old 03-12-22 | 07:22 PM
ionian
Instructor

It is hard to try to resolve your issue without you providing some detail. Are you stuck somewhere in the process and the option to select the update is grayed out? If that is the case you are already on the current version.

Quick Reply: Is there new Lexus Software Update for the ES?