ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Is there new Lexus Software Update for the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22 | 07:53 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Default Is there new Lexus Software Update for the ES?

I have the ES300h 2020 model. I'm wondering if there is new Lexus software update.
Lately I was driving the IS 2021 and the software there is much better especially the Lane Tracing Assist.
Tx
Old 03-08-22 | 11:14 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kalup
I have the ES300h 2020 model. I'm wondering if there is new Lexus software update.
Lately I was driving the IS 2021 and the software there is much better especially the Lane Tracing Assist.
Tx
The 2022 ES has the updated Lexus Safety System 2.5+ but as far as I know there's no update for prior model years' 2.0 version. As detailed as part of my Considering buying used ES model. 2019-2021 prior refresh advice needed. post #9 the 2.5+ added features were "Intersection Turning Assist" consisting of "Vehicle Detection (when turning left)" and "Pedestrian Detection (when turning right or left)"; "Emergency Steering Assist"; curve speed reduction to the "All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)", and "improved course recognition" to "Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)".
The following users liked this post:
Kalup (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22 | 05:39 AM
glamglam
Instructor

How about 3.0+ Version? What does 3.0+ Version have that 2.5+ Versiondoesn’t have? The reason why I’m asking this is because all the Lexus NX has 3.0+ Version in them.
Old 03-09-22 | 05:43 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by glamglam
How about 3.0+ Version? What does 3.0+ Version have that 2.5+ Versiondoesn’t have? The reason why I’m asking this is because all the Lexus NX has 3.0+ Version in them.

The following 2 users liked this post by mattsrs:
dklanecky1 (03-09-22), Kalup (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22 | 07:35 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

FYI regarding that chart just posted, here in Canada on the 2022 ES, LSS+ 2.5+ does include ALL-SPEED DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL WITH CURVE SPEED MANAGEMENT (DRCC) - that chart shows it doesn't exist in 2.5+. Perhaps it's a regional thing, I don't know.
wmoor004 (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22 | 09:06 AM
PrznPrince
Driver

Oh some nice updates with 3.0! Shame they couldnt work that into the 2022 ES, would be nice if a software update covered that in the future but I doubt it
Old 03-09-22 | 09:12 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
FYI regarding that chart just posted, here in Canada on the 2022 ES, LSS+ 2.5+ does include ALL-SPEED DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL WITH CURVE SPEED MANAGEMENT (DRCC) - that chart shows it doesn't exist in 2.5+. Perhaps it's a regional thing, I don't know.
yea I have seen it as 2.5+ features list for US too but not sure why this latest version of the chart has it this way. This is taken from a Lexus US brochure
Old 03-09-22 | 09:21 AM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
have you actually tested the curve speed management feature on your car? I’m going to test it on mine but not optimistic
Old 03-09-22 | 11:10 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Oh some nice updates with 3.0! Shame they couldnt work that into the 2022 ES, would be nice if a software update covered that in the future but I doubt it
Based on the 2022 NX feedback on this Club Lexus forum, a few of the owners of the 2022 NX owners are feeling like they are the beta testers here in the USA.

Once Lexus has it all sorted out, (and as chips are available) I'm sure it will roll out to the other models as fast as Lexus can implement it.

It's definitely not just a software update.
PrznPrince (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22 | 04:28 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the advice! I have a yearly service in April. I will talk with the Lexus service guys. It sounds ridiculous that software that is the easiest thing to update, was not updated for 2 years.
I understand that some software changes may need hardware changes but I'm sure that the basic enhancements changes can be implemented with an update.
Old 03-09-22 | 06:58 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Is this software compatible with 19-21 models? or is it just for 22 only?
Old 03-10-22 | 07:32 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Thank you guys for the advice! I have a yearly service in April. I will talk with the Lexus service guys. It sounds ridiculous that software that is the easiest thing to update, was not updated for 2 years.
I understand that some software changes may need hardware changes but I'm sure that the basic enhancements changes can be implemented with an update.
Lexus sells vehicles and is a vehicle sales company. Once the sell it, their liability for any further software "updates" (or enhancements) is very questionable.

t's already sold, exactly in the condition it was originally when it sold.

Yes there is a warranty, and service after the sale, but any features that you want added, or are made available on later models, I assume Lexus would likely prefer to sell you another vehicle in a few years with new features.

Tesla is a software / computer company first, that assembles and sells vehicles. Tesla is starting to try and change this business model, by introducing a model, and then offering updates to existing owners, rather than update the newest version of the model. When was the Model S first offered? Has it been a decade?

I don't expect Toyota or Lexus to give away any new features to existing owners. This may change if Tesla can change the business model, but as of now, I don't see it changing any time soon.
TechNut (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22 | 04:17 PM
Kalup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Lexus sells vehicles and is a vehicle sales company. Once the sell it, their liability for any further software "updates" (or enhancements) is very questionable.

t's already sold, exactly in the condition it was originally when it sold.

Yes there is a warranty, and service after the sale, but any features that you want added, or are made available on later models, I assume Lexus would likely prefer to sell you another vehicle in a few years with new features.

Tesla is a software / computer company first, that assembles and sells vehicles. Tesla is starting to try and change this business model, by introducing a model, and then offering updates to existing owners, rather than update the newest version of the model. When was the Model S first offered? Has it been a decade?

I don't expect Toyota or Lexus to give away any new features to existing owners. This may change if Tesla can change the business model, but as of now, I don't see it changing any time soon.
If this is the case, that is very bad for Lexus customers. I drove Tesla before buying the ES and I wasn't impressed by the interior and the driving quality.
It is hard for me to believe that this is the treatment of Lexus customers!
As I said, I will Check with Lexus about this...
Old 03-10-22 | 04:24 PM
mattsrs
Pit Crew

If this is the case, that is very bad for Lexus customers. I drove Tesla before buying the ES and I wasn't impressed by the interior and the driving quality.
It is hard for me to believe that this is the treatment of Lexus customers!
As I said, I will Check with Lexus about this...
I currently also have a BMW X5 and they constantly have updated the software over the air and added new functionality from improving drive assist features to adding Android Auto and I believe they also activated adaptive headlights via software update. Point is Tesla is not a unicorn on this and many other brands also have modernized their software updates. Lexus will be even further behind in technology if they don’t do things via software update. At least theres a software update menu item that doesn’t do anything yet so the functionality is there.
Kalup (03-10-22)
Old 03-10-22 | 04:48 PM
ionian
Instructor

Each manufacturer has its own strengths and weaknesses. I have 2019 ES300h and wish like the next owner about getting some major software updates. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen. Lexus is traditionally a very conservative company that is slow to change and with good reasons. They roll out new technology feature slowly after going through extensive testings and validations. They choose long reliability over bleeding edge. If you want latest edge technology you should go elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by ionian:
carsareus (03-26-22), landonm86 (03-12-22)

Quick Reply: Is there new Lexus Software Update for the ES?