ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Updates for 2023 ES - New Lexus Infotainment interface?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 04:31 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
Just buy another ES350 after when the major changes occur. That’s what I would do.
Well, I was going to do that, but for the next major redesign/iteration which is 8th Gen likely in 2025/2026. As is, I couldnt see flipping this in a year, putting money down for 2023 interior redesign, and then selling/trading that in two to three years. I like to keep cars for 4-5 years before getting a new one to maximize the warranty and also get good milage out of dent/scratch coverage. I'm the same with iPhone where I wait for a big redesign or changes to bite (e.g, I have the Iphone 12 Pro now, which was a major redesign from my previous X and will bite for the 14 as that's rumored to get rid of the camera notch and other big improvements)

For the next upgrade carwise, I'd like to see:

1. Improved horsepower on gas but especially Hybrid. I really wanted the 300h but wasn't impressed this go around with it
2. Exterior changes (would love to see Fog Lights, Smart High Beams, and Digital Mirrors)
3. V6 or Hybrid AWD (which doesn't seem possible in this design now, but 8th is a possibility, although tracking that may not happen to keep the LS unique)
4. Safety System Update to at least 3.0 (which doesn't seem likely for the 2023 but definitely would be a flagship feature for 8th Gen)
5. Improved cameras (they are pretty dreadful right now)
6. Electric (but I don't think the Sedan will be out in 2025/6 or if it is it will be early and not the greatest product)
6. Improved interior without touchpad (which sounds like might happen for 2023, but I'm not gonna upgrade just for that)

Last edited by PrznPrince; 03-26-22 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 05:22 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Well, I was going to do that, but for the next major redesign/iteration which is 8th Gen likely in 2025/2026. As is, I couldnt see flipping this in a year, putting money down for 2023 interior redesign, and then selling/trading that in two to three years. I like to keep cars for 4-5 years before getting a new one to maximize the warranty and also get good milage out of dent/scratch coverage. I'm the same with iPhone where I wait for a big redesign or changes to bite (e.g, I have the Iphone 12 Pro now, which was a major redesign from my previous X and will bite for the 14 as that's rumored to get rid of the camera notch and other big improvements)

1. Improved horsepower on gas but especially Hybrid. I really wanted the 300h but wasn't impressed this go around with it
2. Exterior changes (would love to see Fog Lights, Smart High Beams, and Digital Mirrors)
3. V6 or Hybrid AWD (which doesn't seem possible in this design now, but 8th is a possibility, although tracking that may not happen to keep the LS unique)
4. Safety System Update to at least 3.0 (which doesn't seem likely for the 2023 but definitely would be a flagship feature for 8th Gen)
6. Electric (but I don't think the Sedan will be out in 2025/6 or if it is it will be early and not the greatest product)
6. Improved interior without touchpad (which sounds like might happen for 2023, but I'm not gonna upgrade just for that)
Not a bad list…I’d add massaging seats, something a car at this price point should have
The following users liked this post:
PrznPrince (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 05:45 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

If they offer AWD on 8th gen they will go plug-in hybrid by using the current power train in 2022 NX 450h+. It will have slightly more HP and better MPG. If they do offer the V6 ICE it will most likely be the last time on the ES.They will definitely improved the camera system and most likely using the one on current 2022 NX with some tweaks.

Last edited by ionian; 03-26-22 at 07:19 PM. Reason: ...
dklanecky1 (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22, 03:13 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Be careful what you wish for! As cars get more complex with more of these advanced features, they will have higher failure rates and expensive repairs. IMHO this is exactly why Lexus hasn't added some of these complex options. If they did this, they would end up being just like BMW with lower reliability and higher repair costs.
Old 03-27-22, 04:58 PM
ionian
Instructor

By the time 8th gen ES rolls out Lexus has enough time to work out any kinks. Toyota/Lexus is known for improving upon their existing design over time by making small changes rather than big ones and that is a major part of what made their vehicles more reliable. Big changes are inherently more risky and introduce more defects.

Last edited by ionian; 03-27-22 at 05:07 PM. Reason: ...
landonm86 (03-29-22)
Old 03-27-22, 06:43 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Your comment is so intriguing, it should be its own thread. Personally, I think there's an excellent chance the next gen will grant a lot of your wishes. I'd guess it'll have:
2. Digital mirrors if US law allows, since the Japanese ES has them already, and Smart High Beams in a slam dunk since they're legal here now
3. Hybrid AWD. I don't think the LS will stop them, because I think there will never be an LS sedan again unless it's all-electric
4. Safety System update, sure.
5. Improved cameras, another excellent bet
7. Improved interior without touchpad, for sure, since the NX setup is supposed to be prototype for infotainment on all future Lexi.
Old 03-28-22, 03:57 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Your comment is so intriguing, it should be its own thread. Personally, I think there's an excellent chance the next gen will grant a lot of your wishes. I'd guess it'll have:
2. Digital mirrors if US law allows, since the Japanese ES has them already, and Smart High Beams in a slam dunk since they're legal here now
3. Hybrid AWD. I don't think the LS will stop them, because I think there will never be an LS sedan again unless it's all-electric
4. Safety System update, sure.
5. Improved cameras, another excellent bet
7. Improved interior without touchpad, for sure, since the NX setup is supposed to be prototype for infotainment on all future Lexi.
Thanks! That would be a fun topic for sure On the LS, has there been any rumor on it being on the chopping block, or its just not that profitable for them at this juncture?
Old 03-28-22, 05:45 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Thanks! That would be a fun topic for sure On the LS, has there been any rumor on it being on the chopping block, or its just not that profitable for them at this juncture?
There was a show car, shortly before the panic press release that showed a 2030 all-electric Lexus lineup. It was a low-profile SUV with proportions very roughly similar to the original Venza. There was speculation it was a trial balloon for a future LS. The current one is selling so disastrously, it's almost unthinkable they'd invest to develop another unless they changed it as profoundly as to go SUV and/or electric.

Of course, Toyota has a true flagship, the Japan-only Century, which makes the LS look like a Mitsubishi Lancer. But that car will never come Stateside; Americans would not pay the price for its combination of reserved conservative aesthetic, unbelievable quality and extremely high price.
Old 03-28-22, 05:55 PM
ionian
Instructor

Toyota Century looks like a Rolls-Royce. It looks Toyota is going to bring the Crown to stateside soon as they already trademarked the name last year.

Old 03-28-22, 06:40 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by ionian
Toyota Century looks like a Rolls-Royce. It looks Toyota is going to bring the Crown to stateside soon as they already trademarked the name last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_bQfyYpsI
IMO, even though I couldn't afford it in a thousand years, that would be awesome.
Old 03-29-22, 03:26 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_bQfyYpsI
Very nice car.
Old 03-29-22, 05:42 PM
ionian
Instructor

Indeed. This is going to replace the Avalon. It is nicer than the current ES for less money. Last year Toyota re-introduced the Venza to U.S. It is a step up from the RAV4. Some people call it RAV4 luxury but it actually punches well above its price point. In fact a well known reviewer on YouTube said it is better than 2021 Lexus NX300h for $7k less. My wife has the Venza and it is real nice and could easily sold under Lexus badge. Obviously Lexus addressed a lot of 2021 NX300h shortcomings when they released the all new NX this year. I think something similar is going to happen with the Crown. It will be introduce to U.S market close to the launch of the 8th ES.
Old 03-30-22, 06:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

That iPad smack in the middle of the dash has got to go. Absolutely awful.
Old 03-30-22, 07:21 AM
ionian
Instructor

It is a good compromise to make it accessible to more people as not everyone is 6 foot tall. It seems to have a good balance of physical controls for the most commonly used functions like volume, A/C, etc. The new trend is to go all in for haptics over physical control. Something is best left to physical control. Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should as the adage goes.
Old 03-30-22, 08:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

It is a good compromise to make it accessible to more people as not everyone is 6 foot tall. It seems to have a good balance of physical controls for the most commonly used functions like volume, A/C, etc. The new trend is to go all in for haptics over physical control. Something is best left to physical control. Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should as the adage goes.
The rest of that car is a big meh for me. Looks like a current Honda Accord only uglier if that's possible.

Quick Reply: Updates for 2023 ES - New Lexus Infotainment interface?