ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

First Month New 2022 Ultra Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22 | 03:28 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Default First Month New 2022 Ultra Luxury

So I am completing my first month with my new car and I am starting to like it more and more every day. I have reached the point where I am starting to tweak some of the features to my own liking. For example: I prefer to operate my own high beams rather than allowing the car to do it, I found the constant changing a bit distracting although the car does a great job not to blind any on coming traffic. Also, I have turned the Steering Assist and Lane Keep Assist completely off - just wasn’t my thing. Also, I find a little less wind noise with the Pano roof shade drawn closed. Finally, I have been keeping the car in Eco mode but will probably switch to Normal in the future. This should give me that little “spirited” nudge I was missing. My MPGs average around 19.5 but my fuel expense is fine because the price offset of Regular unleaded vs Premium (German car) makes up for the 2 or 3 MPGs I was expecting. ( BTW, my highway MPG’s were 30, unfortunately most of my driving is city. I really love the Cloudburst Grey but it sure does get dirty fast….lol
Old 04-01-22 | 06:07 AM
ionian
Instructor

If you think your Cloudburst Grey gets dirty fast I will raise you my Caviar(black). After 10 minutes of washing the car I can see dust on it already and it's worse during pollen season. Black is known as the detailer's worst nightmare.
The following 3 users liked this post by ionian:
dklanecky1 (04-01-22), Moorekx (04-01-22), wmoor004 (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 06:14 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=Moorekx;11259431]
I prefer to operate my own high beams rather than allowing the car to

Originally Posted by Moorekx
I have turned the Steering Assist and Lane Keep Assist completely off - just wasn’t my thing
Also, I find a little less wind noise with the Pano roof shade drawn closed
Finally, I have been keeping the car in Eco mode but will probably switch to Normal in the future
I really love the Cloudburst Grey but it sure does get dirty fast
Like you, I just completed my first month of ownership. I have made the same changes: no auto high beam, turned off lane keep/assist, pano cover closed.

However, I now drive completely in normal mode and I still get eco mpg results (averging 22 MPG). I have cloudburst and rich creme seats - keeping it clean is a must. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Moorekx (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 07:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yep the steering gimmicks have been disabled in my car since I took ownership over three years ago. I do like the auto high beam feature though as it doesn't activate often for me. As far as drive mode, SPORT is the only one that satisfies me
Moorekx (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 07:17 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Yep the steering gimmicks have been disabled in my car since I took ownership over three years ago. I do like the auto high beam feature though as it doesn't activate often for me. As far as drive mode, SPORT is the only one that satisfies me
This weekend I am going full sports mode so I can compare the ride. Oddly, I have never really riden in sports mode. Less than a mile. Hmmm. This weekend that changes. Lol
Old 04-01-22 | 07:50 AM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Auto high beams is one of my favorite features. To each his/her own.
The following 2 users liked this post by G1H1:
ESh (04-01-22), TXWJ (04-10-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 08:13 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

you think your cloudburst gray gets dirty fast? HAH! I raise you my nebula gray. gets dirty 99.9999999998% as fast!
Moorekx (04-02-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 09:03 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

I'm about 2-1/2 months in, and I'm observing a lot of the same things.

The automatic high beams do remain courteous toward other drivers. They seem to be most useful on rural hilly 2-laners so you can see in front of you when going uphill.

I haven't used Eco mode much because I want quicker throttle response, which is just a bit tardy even in Normal.

I've been playing around a lot with Lane Keep Assist because it's one of the reasons I chose this car. I haven't done much highway yet, but I strongly suspect that long mindless highway trips are its best use.

I've made the exact same observation about the pano roof shade reducing noise.

Other observations and opinions:
•I reeeeeally like the 360 pano view in parking situations. Combined with the ability of the mirrors to turn downward in reverse, it gives me an ability I've never had before to tuck the car right in against lane lines and curbs without curb-rashing those beautiful wheels, which is great.

•I came in firmly undecided about the head-up display, and I'm still undecided now. The fact that it's a slightly distorted and unfocused image doesn't help, but I'm going to give it more time and see how I get used to it. Its best use is as an indicator for Lane Keep, I think.

•I'm determined to make a go of it with the factory nav. I know lots of people say to just shelve that antiquated tech and navigate through CarPlay, but that runs up the data charges on my cheapie phone plan, and you can't depend on it when your connection cuts out in the sticks. On the whole, it works better than some people said and I think I'll get there.

•I also know the ML stereo has caught its share of flak, but I think it's flat-out excellent.
Moorekx (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 09:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wmoor004
This weekend I am going full sports mode so I can compare the ride. Oddly, I have never really riden in sports mode. Less than a mile. Hmmm. This weekend that changes. Lol
Literally HATE the ride in ECO and almost as bad in NORMAL. I guess it's what you get used to.
wmoor004 (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 10:04 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Literally HATE the ride in ECO and almost as bad in NORMAL. I guess it's what you get used to.
Mike, only the F Sport with adaptive suspension changes the ride as you change modes, right?
Old 04-01-22 | 10:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Mike, only the F Sport with adaptive suspension changes the ride as you change modes, right?
Incorrect - the throttle response changes drastically even sans AVS.
Old 04-01-22 | 10:56 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Incorrect - the throttle response changes drastically even sans AVS.
Sorry that I was unclear. By "the ride," I meant suspension behavior.
Old 04-01-22 | 12:25 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry that I was unclear. By "the ride," I meant suspension behavior.
Then you're correct of course. No difference in that regard.
LexFinally (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 08:40 PM
grp52
Instructor

I've been playing around a lot with Lane Keep Assist because it's one of the reasons I chose this car. I haven't done much highway yet, but I strongly suspect that long mindless highway trips are its best use.
The utility of Lane Keep Assist depends upon where your comfort track in the lane is. If your comfort track is strictly center of the lane no matter what then it will probably be of some use for you. But if it isn't then the constant steering nudging trying to get the car in the lane's center will drive you nuts.

•I came in firmly undecided about the head-up display, and I'm still undecided now. The fact that it's a slightly distorted and unfocused image doesn't help, but I'm going to give it more time and see how I get used to it. Its best use is as an indicator for Lane Keep, I think.

•I'm determined to make a go of it with the factory nav. I know lots of people say to just shelve that antiquated tech and navigate through CarPlay, but that runs up the data charges on my cheapie phone plan, and you can't depend on it when your connection cuts out in the sticks. On the whole, it works better than some people said and I think I'll get there.
With the factory navigation the next direction cue is projected on the HUD. That is super helpful when you're in unfamiliar territory and you need to keep your attention focused on details outside the car. The next direction cue is usually a timely next turn cue with a intersection graphic with an emphasized turn arrow, the street/highway name, and a distance to turn countdown.
Old 04-02-22 | 03:06 AM
Moorekx
Pit Crew

Just thought I’d throw this in for anyone that hasn’t seen Cloudburst Grey up close:

Quick Reply: First Month New 2022 Ultra Luxury