ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 Toyota Crown: ES killer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 08:36 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
It isn't a matter of technical know-how as much as other factors at play such business justifications, regulations, etc. Lexus isn't doing V6 AWD for ES now as it doesn't make sense. If they aren't doing it now they surely won't do it in the future. For those that want more HP with AWD in next gen ES Lexus will shove PHEV tech that is currently in 2022 NX450h+ into ES body with some tweaks and call it a day. Biden's administration is setting higher fuel-economy rules that require the average new car or truck to get nearly 50 miles per gallon of gasoline by 2026. Manufacturers won't able to meet it unless they go hybrid or PHEV.

ICE V6 is a goner.
I agree with this. The naturally aspirated V6 is a goner. By the same token, I dismiss the current ES 250 AWD (with apologies to its owners; I hope you love your cars) as a half-hearted effort. What I consider a serious effort is a turbo four producing 3.5-like power, either connected to mechanical AWD or with hybrid electric motors powering the rear wheels (at all speeds, not weak-sauce low-speed-only like the AWD Prius).

The Crown sounds like it checks all these boxes, with the added plus of a longitudinal engine that provides better weight distribution for inherently better-balanced handling than a transverse engine. The fact it's built on the LS/Mirai chassis is a game changer; that's an inherently superior platform to the Camry/ES underpinnings. I think the comparison above to the GS is an apt and insightful one. Brushing aside the subjective "it won't matter because it's ugly" comment, I think this could ably fill the GS-shaped hole in the Lexus lineup until electrics come along, and I'd have to think very seriously about trading for it given the chance.

Last edited by LexFinally; 04-03-22 at 09:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexFinally:
FreddyG (04-24-22), veeinc (04-24-22), wmoor004 (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 08:44 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I agree with this. The naturally aspirated V6 is a goner. By the same token, I dismiss the current ES 250 AWD (with apologies to its owners; I hope you love your cars) as a half-heaerted effort. What I consider a serious effort is a turbo four producing 3.5-like power, either connected to mechanical AWD or with hybrid electric motors powering the rear wheels (at all speeds, not weak-sauce low-speed-only like the AWD Prius).

The Crown sounds like it checks all these boxes, with the added plus of a longitudinal engine that provides better weight distribution for inherently better-balanced handling than a transverse engine. The fact it's built on the LS/Mirai chassis is a game changer; that's an inherently superior platform to the Camry/ES underpinnings. I think the comparison above to the GS is an apt and insightful one. Brushing aside the subjective "it won't matter because it's ugly" comment, I think this could ably fill the GS-shaped hole in the Lexus lineup until electrics come along, and I'd have to think very seriously about trading for it given the chance.
I really wonder if Lexus would add a new version of the GS while still retaining an updated ES, since sedans are not nearly as popular as they used to be. Additionally, it seems that there would need to be greater differentiation between a GS/ES to justify the cost of two model lines. If they weren't pushing the F-Sport ES so much (it seems like every ES press car is now an F-Sport) perhaps I'd be more of a believer, but it seems like they want to have the ES cover a broader swath of appeal. How successful that is/would be is, of course, open to debate. Bottom line, is there really enough market share to divide to have an ES and GS (and don't forget IS)?
Old 04-03-22, 09:04 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by ATL350
I really wonder if Lexus would add a new version of the GS while still retaining an updated ES, since sedans are not nearly as popular as they used to be. Additionally, it seems that there would need to be greater differentiation between a GS/ES to justify the cost of two model lines. If they weren't pushing the F-Sport ES so much (it seems like every ES press car is now an F-Sport) perhaps I'd be more of a believer, but it seems like they want to have the ES cover a broader swath of appeal. How successful that is/would be is, of course, open to debate. Bottom line, is there really enough market share to divide to have an ES and GS (and don't forget IS)?
The only way I can see this happening is if, as suggested, the new Crown is a world car and therefore costs Toyota essentially nothing extra to also send it here. But Toyota is a giant organization, so that's not completely impossible. If so, a giant question is: Would it be sold here as a Toyota or a Lexus? I'm guessing the latter.
Old 04-03-22, 09:11 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

The only way I can see this happening is if, as suggested, the new Crown is a world car and therefore costs Toyota essentially nothing extra to also send it here. But Toyota is a giant organization, so that's not completely impossible. If so, a giant question is: Would it be sold here as a Toyota or a Lexus? I'm guessing the latter.
I agree - if they want to make it a serious car to compete in the uber-competitive luxury/near luxury market, making it a Toyota would diminish the Lexus brand, one that still suffers from the "it's just a Camry under the skin" thing. It would also give it the margin to make it more luxurious, quieter, etc., that would justify the price point in Lexus territory.

Last edited by ATL350; 04-03-22 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-03-22, 10:06 AM
LexFinally
Racer

The above video you linked is the old model as it has split screen design. The original video I linked was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO_bQfyYpsI
Thanks for correcting that. Fixed.
Old 04-03-22, 10:13 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Unfortunately, here's another potential scenario: Toyota prostitutes the Crown name by slapping it on a lowered-roof Highlander here. Essentially this car would be to the Highlander what the Venza is to the RAV4: chopped down and marked up.
https://carbuzz.com/news/new-toyota-...ace-the-avalon
Old 04-24-22, 12:30 AM
AZFamLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES out after 2023 model year.

I’m not sure of what the presence of the Crown does for the ES as it’s already know that Lexus will replace the ES as we know it at the end of the 2023 model year.
Old 04-24-22, 07:37 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by AZFamLexus
I’m not sure of what the presence of the Crown does for the ES as it’s already know that Lexus will replace the ES as we know it at the end of the 2023 model year.
I started this thread, but it now sounds like much ado about nothing. The Crown sedan won't come here. Instead, Toyota will prostitute the Crown name by slapping it on a FWD-based spiffed-up AWD Highlander SUV.
Old 04-24-22, 11:04 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I started this thread, but it now sounds like much ado about nothing. The Crown sedan won't come here. Instead, Toyota will prostitute the Crown name by slapping it on a FWD-based spiffed-up AWD Highlander SUV.
I heard otherwise that Toyota will also bring the Crown sedan here to the USA. The news has already been verified by Toyota.
Old 04-24-22, 03:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by glamglam
I heard otherwise that Toyota will also bring the Crown sedan here to the USA. The news has already been verified by Toyota.
I haven't seen that verification. Can you share it with us?
Old 04-24-22, 06:57 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I haven't seen that verification. Can you share it with us?
There’s a link somewhere in the Toyota Nation forums that talks about the Crown sedan coming to the USA.
Old 04-24-22, 07:24 PM
LexFinally
Racer

There’s a link somewhere in the Toyota Nation forums that talks about the Crown sedan coming to the USA.
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ander.1717877/
Old 04-24-22, 08:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

No Crown sedan coming.
Just a "Grand" Highlander with 3 rows of seats.
A more upmarket trimmed Crown SUV.
Plus a luxury Lexus TX with 3 rows of seats.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-25-22)
Old 09-22-22, 03:54 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

The Crown looks nice in this color combo:

Old 09-22-22, 03:56 PM
LexFinally
Racer

The Crown looks nice in this color combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0eFHWhrhoo
Raiti still looks silly with his usual macho straddle, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
GS350Miami (09-23-22), LS500Fan (09-22-22)

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Crown: ES killer?