ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 Toyota Crown: ES killer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22 | 01:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The forthcoming next gen 8ES will most probably be based on the 4” hi riding Crown Crossover Sedan, together with choice of 2.5 Hybrid or 2.4 Turbo Hybrid.
Old 09-27-22 | 02:13 PM
ionian
Instructor

Now if the 8ES takes a cue from this new IS concept and stretch it out to size I am in:

The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (09-27-22)
Old 09-27-22 | 02:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ionian
Now if the 8ES takes a cue from this new IS concept and stretch it out to size I am in:
Presently, TMC has a huge lithium ion supply issue.
That's why their new bZ and RZ have such small battery packs and poor range.
Breakthroughs in alternative chemistries like solid state are difficult.
Hence, EV's like the IZ above are a long way away - especially with a decently sized lithium ion battery pack for a decent range.

Furthermore, because the underfloor battery packs in EV's take up to 4" of vertical height, the interior passenger space will be noticeably compromised compared to traditional Lexus IS ICEV's.
So if there ever was a midsize EV version with similar exterior length and height to the current 7ES, expect the passenger volume to be compromized with a 4" underfloor battery pack.
Hence, EV's present a tough situation: either a traditional size sedan with compromized interior space, or a 4" higher riding sedan to accomodate an underfloor battery pack.
Old 09-27-22 | 05:36 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Hence, EV's present a tough situation: either a traditional size sedan with compromized interior space, or a 4" higher riding sedan to accomodate an underfloor battery pack.
How come no other automaker has this problem?
Old 09-27-22 | 10:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFinally
How come no other automaker has this problem?
They all have that problem.
Have you sat in back of Model 3 or Model S?
Notice how your feet are kicked up high, and your thighs and knees point to the sky?

The underfloor battery packs must take up vertical space.
Traditional ICEV's don't have this issue.
EV's are naturally taller with massive wheelbases, yet very little overhang - especially little front overhang.

v Refer to Tesla Model 3 low rear seat base discomfort from 00:07'15" on YouTube video.
vv In the diagram far below, the Porsche Taycan EV has alleviated this issue by having no battery packs in the rear foot well area.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-28-22 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-28-22 | 07:49 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
I know why they do it but it's stupid. I have a loaded RAV4 Prime and it has power seats, ventilated seats, 360 camera, memory seats, rearview mirror camera, etc, loaded to the gills, but the one thing I want is power steering column adjustment because we both drive the car regularly. Lexus at the end of the day are overpriced Toyotas but alas you have to pay to play.
My 2018 Honda Accord Touring had every available option offered. It even had heated rear seats. My logical thinking was that those that buy Camrys and Accords quite often have families with children and heated rear seats makes sense. Whereas those that buy Lexus ESs and so on, are often older and do not have children still in the home so heated rear seats wouldn't be as pragmatic, even though this is a higher-end car. The money Lexus saved by not going with heated rear seats either was used elsewhere or lowered the bottom line. Makes sense to me, IMO. Lexus and any manufacturer really is going to outfit vehicles with options and features that cater to the main demographic of those that buy their cars. It's usually just good business sense even if we tend not to agree with every decision they make. If you want more, you'll quite often have to pay more! Just my 2 cents!

I didn't have the Accord long as I sold it after a year for a huge profit, then switched to Lexus.
LexFinally (10-26-22)
Old 10-25-22 | 04:59 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I read this review today. Interesting read.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/10/25/...-drive-review/
Old 10-25-22 | 05:16 PM
ionian
Instructor

This particular spec is about $53k. My 2019 ES300h Luxury loaded it up came to $54K MSRP. if I am shopping today I think it will be hard for me to get the ES now. Lexus needsto move 8th gen ES up market.
Old 10-25-22 | 05:52 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Great review. I'm afraid that my 2019 ES350 Sport suffers in comparison.

It'll be interesting to see what Lexus does with this model if it replaces the 7th generation ES. Hopefully more than just slapping Lexus badging and a Predator grille on it.
Old 10-25-22 | 07:26 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by RJLsES

It'll be interesting to see what Lexus does with this model if it replaces the 7th generation ES. Hopefully more than just slapping Lexus badging and a Predator grille on it.
Iff the 24 Lexus ES 350 is simply a touched version of this car, you can count me out. No elegance, no luxury look——blah!
ATL350 (10-25-22)
Old 10-25-22 | 07:52 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Originally Posted by RJLsES

Another interesting look was on Car and Driver today. Sorry, this car just won’t do for an ES. That would just be badge engineering and bring back the old “just a fancy Toyota” criticism.
Old 10-26-22 | 10:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus usually does a really good job at re-skinning, resulting in a substantially classier look. Honestly looking at a review (not the one where the guy spreads his legs-yuck) yesterday of the Crown, I low key considered trading my ES for one. I like the jacked look. I don't mind if the next ES is jacked. but not too jacked. Maybe mild jacked.
Old 10-26-22 | 12:52 PM
UTChE96
Driver

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I read this review today. Interesting read.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/10/25/...-drive-review/
Interesting review. Once again a reviewer is calling out the lack of headroom. Very concerning. I still want to test drive it.

In reality, the Crown's interior feels a fair bit smaller. A major contributing factor is the headroom, which is very tight up front, at least with a sunroof. If you're 6-feet tall or more, you'll be rubbing the headliner. We don't remember this being an issue in the old Avalon, and we suspect the problem here is that Toyota has jacked up the seating position for that SUV-like feel. And that's also why it feels so tight despite the extra roof height. Fortunately, if you get a model without a sunroof, you get much more front headroom.
Old 10-26-22 | 02:25 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ionian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfcKNSFo29g

This particular spec is about $53k. My 2019 ES300h Luxury loaded it up came to $54K MSRP. if I am shopping today I think it will be hard for me to get the ES now. Lexus needsto move 8th gen ES up market.
Really? I just watched Redline's review:

And besides the instrument cluster, my ES is far superior to this car in every way. I feel it's a perfect Avalon replacement.

Old 10-26-22 | 02:47 PM
UTChE96
Driver

The more reviews I see the less I am interested in the Crown. It looks very plain. No HUD display even on the top trim. That's pretty weak.

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Crown: ES killer?