ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 ES Window Warranty Voided?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 05:20 PM
Omara2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 ES Window Warranty Voided?

Recently purchased a brand new 22 ES from a dealer out in Georgia. Upon driving back home to Virginia I noticed wind noise from the rear driver side window. Took the vehicle into my local dealer a few day later and they recommend replacing the weatherstripping.
Drove the car home that day, still wind noise! Made another appointment a few weeks later as I was busy with work. I dropped the vehicle off & picked it up a few days later. While at the dealership the service advisor explained that the rear quarter glass was “adjusted” then the service advisor proceeds to tell me that my window warranty is now void because I’ve installed window tint. Which I did a few days after my initial dealer visit. To make matters worse, I still hear wind noise & now I’m out of window warranty . I tried talking with the service advisor and didn’t get anywhere. I’ve now called corporate & waiting for a response.

Old 04-11-22, 05:43 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Well considering the tint installer may have removed the glass and/or weatherstrip and/or trim and/or door panel etc. that's not unreasonable to tell you it's your problem now. Did it make the wind noise before the tint was applied?
Old 04-11-22, 06:13 PM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Well considering the tint installer may have removed the glass and/or weatherstrip and/or trim and/or door panel etc. that's not unreasonable to tell you it's your problem now. Did it make the wind noise before the tint was applied?
I agree, of the tint installer removed the glass I see why the dealership voided the warranty. Now, I honestly do not believe the tint installer removed the glass because that just... Not smart.
Old 04-11-22, 06:46 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

I see that as a bs reason. Dealerships tint many of the car windows here before sale and honor the warranty.
The following users liked this post:
lccgl479 (04-12-22)
Old 04-11-22, 08:37 PM
Omara2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Yes, it did make wind noise prior to the tint being applied.

When the dealer replaced the weather stripping during my first visit, the tint still hadn't been applied.

The tint was applied before my 2nd visit back to the dealer.
Old 04-12-22, 05:28 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'm sorry but some of these responses here are just weird. Who has ever removed weatherstripping or even the window or door panel to tint a window? For starters windows are tinted on the inside, meaning there is no need to remove the weather stripping. The window tint is cut to size from the outside and then installed on the inside, meaning there is no need to remove the window or the door panel. And most tint shops now a days actually computer cut their tint, so all they have to do is literally install it. Your dealer is giving you the run around and you did well on getting corporate involved. I suspect corporate will rule in your favor, and when they do, NEVER return to that dealer for service. Also, when you speak with corporate, remind them of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 in which it states, "The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage." And remember that ultimately the burden is on the dealer/manufacturer to prove how your window tint caused the failure. Perhaps working toward your case could also be photographic evidence or even a receipt of work from the tint shop. If you took it in once before without window tint, and have a receipt for the window tint after that original service visit, then its open and shut and Lexus corporate should provide you with a letter or email showing that your warranty has been reinstated.
The following 6 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
bc6152 (04-12-22), dklanecky1 (04-12-22), lccgl479 (04-12-22), LexFinally (04-12-22), Omara2 (04-12-22), UTChE96 (01-26-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-22, 05:57 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I tinted my windows. The tiny is precut to the inside of the window shape by the computer.
The installer then just applies the precut tint film to the inside of the glass.

Absolutely nothing removed or moved.

Sounds like a poor dealer.
Old 04-12-22, 07:35 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Kind of makes sense, maybe? They did do some service work by replacing the weatherstripping. So it sounds like they did "try".
My best guess is that after 3 unsuccessful repairs, you can claim the lemon law and voiding your warranty is certainly cheaper than lemon law you another car.
Old 04-12-22, 07:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Not every tint install is identical. Someone else having laser cut tint doesn't mean OP had his laser cut. many tinters still hand cut.

If they user a razor blade which 50% of tinters do, they could've cut your seal which could explain why they did what they did.
Old 04-12-22, 07:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

also even if true your "window warranty" is voided, it's glass. almost no one will ever need their window warranty.

if your wind noise problem is that bad post a pic of your glass and/or video of the wind noise. the more info the better.
Old 04-12-22, 10:43 AM
Omara2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Not every tint install is identical. Someone else having laser cut tint doesn't mean OP had his laser cut. many tinters still hand cut.

If they user a razor blade which 50% of tinters do, they could've cut your seal which could explain why they did what they did.
Dealer replaced my seal/weatherstripping during my first visit. I didn’t have tints on the vehicle at that time.
Old 04-12-22, 10:44 AM
Omara2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I tinted my windows. The tiny is precut to the inside of the window shape by the computer.
The installer then just applies the precut tint film to the inside of the glass.

Absolutely nothing removed or moved.

Sounds like a poor dealer.
Agreed. Just called the tint shop & this is how it was applied.
Old 04-12-22, 11:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I'm sorry but some of these responses here are just weird. Who has ever removed weatherstripping or even the window or door panel to tint a window? For starters windows are tinted on the inside, meaning there is no need to remove the weather stripping. The window tint is cut to size from the outside and then installed on the inside, meaning there is no need to remove the window or the door panel.
Speaking of weird responses none of this is true. Tint shops often remove the rubber glass run for better access, and remove the door panel to get the weather stripping (fuzzy wiper) out of the way. It is ideal to remove the glass completely but generally not practical.

If you don't think so visit any tint shop and look at the cars in the service bays you'll see doors in various levels of disassembly.
Old 04-12-22, 11:19 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Speaking of weird responses none of this is true. Tint shops often remove the rubber glass run for better access, and remove the door panel to get the weather stripping (fuzzy wiper) out of the way. It is ideal to remove the glass completely but generally not practical.

If you don't think so visit any tint shop and look at the cars in the service bays you'll see doors in various levels of disassembly.
Wow. I have a few vehicles tinted and this has never occurred.
Old 04-12-22, 11:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by wmoor004
Wow. I have a few vehicles tinted and this has never occurred.
Depends on the car.
The following users liked this post:
wmoor004 (04-12-22)

Quick Reply: 2022 ES Window Warranty Voided?