ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Triple Beams vs. Standard Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 02:45 PM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
I disagree. They may be more advanced but to my naked eye the new design of the triple beam headlights looks cheaper. I actually also think that the interior looks a a little bit cheaper with all the piano black plastic on the door panel and center stack and removal of the aluminum looking strip under the infotainment screen. This combined with the infotainment screen that looks out of place when they brought it forward a few inches now looks like it's competing for real estate space with the drive mode selector stalk. I walked away thinking mid cycle refresh was supposed to improve upon the design but not in this case. Just my opinion. YMMV.
I take it that you do not have a '22 ES? While the triple beam looks better the rest falls short. IMO. The 2022 ES is the best yet. 👌
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 02:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Ah I see now, on the 2022 the machined plastic is only at the top and its gloss black everywhere else, while on earlier models its all machinized. That IS much nicer, thats a strange change to make!
In any MMC, there's going to be some change just for the sake of change. The people who buy the new one want to think there's something distinguishing so nobody mistakes them for the owner of a 3-year-old car, so you get arbitrary and frankly rather insignificant tinkering like this, and like the pattern of the grille bars. Either way, it's no big deal to me.
The following users liked this post:
wmoor004 (04-20-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
In any MMC, there's going to be some change just for the sake of change. The people who buy the new one want to think there's something distinguishing so nobody mistakes them for the owner of a 3-year-old car, so you get arbitrary and frankly rather insignificant tinkering like this, and like the pattern of the grille bars. Either way, it's no big deal to me.
so true. The alternative is buy the model first year it's out and risk the bugs like I did 🙃
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
LexFinally (04-19-22), wmoor004 (04-20-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:58 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great point, good thing too is the machined plastic is where it counts most and that piano black change does make help differentiate it
Old 04-19-22, 09:25 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

100% agree.

Manufacturers know people will get the MMC because majority of people want the newest shiniest model. I personally believe this was mostly started and reinforced by smartphones + marketing, BUT it's always been true, now it's magnified. That being said, many of the differences I started to notice pre and post MMC, are pretty minimal, but it's the details that really matter. For example, I think the MMC has a very sleek and minimalistic design in comparison to pre-MMC. Others have stated that pre-MMC, materials seemed of higher quality and the aesthetics looked/felt more luxurious. I personally have always been very detail oriented, but some of the changes between the years are so subtle, such as the trim piece under the Navi, was something I didn't notice at first. Overall, I would say pre-MMC, the ES had more of a luxurious and classy feel. MMC, I think with the layout changes, present a more minimalist and tech approach, which I do appreciate and personally prefer.

Old 04-20-22, 06:48 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wmoor004
I take it that you do not have a '22 ES? While the triple beam looks better the rest falls short. IMO. The 2022 ES is the best yet. 👌
No, I have a 2021 ES300h but I don't need to own one to see whats different between the two. Like I said, with my naked eye I feel that it was a step backwards in quality.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-20-22, 07:22 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
No, I have a 2021 ES300h but I don't need to own one to see whats different between the two. Like I said, with my naked eye I feel that it was a step backwards in quality.
Just because the 2022 model year eliminated the metal strip below the infotainment screen and is using dark plastic doesn’t mean that the material is cheap or that the interior is a step backwards in quality. I sat in an ES300h Luxury yesterday at the local dealership and I was eyeing the area that you are talking about under the infotainment screen. I did notice that the metal piece that went horizontally across the dashboard was replaced with black plastic. It doesn’t look bad or cheap to me. Maybe Lexus got rid of the metal piece in order to avoid it from being scratched or dented easily or maybe they wanted to save money on the amount of metal that they use on the interior. I don’t know the real reason why they did that. But the dashboard still doesn’t look cheap with that metal piece being eliminated for the model year 2022 on the ES.

Also, from what I’ve been reading on here, Lexus made the infotainment system a touchscreen and they also moved the screen closer to the driver. That’s a very good thing because they made the touchscreen more ergonomic for the driver.

Last edited by glamglam; 04-20-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I feel like the screen being closer closes off some space and might make the cabin feel unnecessarily cramped or smaller. Open air is a good thing. The ES already has slightly less cabin room than both the Avalon and Accord (typical for more premium cars vs standard ones all things being equal) so even less room (perceived or otherwise) isn't too welcome.

I can see the benefit obviously of being able to touch the screen as I've posted before, but the cabin wasn't designed for that to begin with. I'd be open to trying it out, that's just the perception I get.

As for headlights, I'd like new cause new, but honestly the old ones look better. (triple beam)
Old 04-20-22, 08:14 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I feel like the screen being closer closes off some space and might make the cabin feel unnecessarily cramped or smaller. Open air is a good thing. The ES already has slightly less cabin room than both the Avalon and Accord (typical for more premium cars vs standard ones all things being equal) so even less room (perceived or otherwise) isn't too welcome.

I can see the benefit obviously of being able to touch the screen as I've posted before, but the cabin wasn't designed for that to begin with. I'd be open to trying it out, that's just the perception I get.

As for headlights, I'd like new cause new, but honestly the old ones look better. (triple beam)
I just sat in a 2021 Avalon at the Toyota dealership yesterday and I didn’t find the interior room in the Avalon any larger than the room inside the ES. The Avalon’s interior also looks much cheaper quality than the ES’s interior. The infotainment screen on the Avalon is Squamish and very large though and it does look nice. I’m not sure if the rectangular shaped ES infotainment screen is smaller or the same size as the Avalon’s infotainment screen though.
Old 04-20-22, 08:41 AM
dezymond
Instructor

I do agree that the screen moving closer to the driver does make the cabin feel a bit smaller since there isn't as much open space in the dash anymore. The 7th gen pre-MMC feels bigger inside because of it, to me at least. I will say at least Lexus blended it in real nicely and it doesn't look like an afterthought like many other manufacturers have their UI setups. It's not as clean of a design as pre-MMC, but it still looks good. I like the added functionality of the touchscreen, but I wish Lexus had also revamped the software too, especially if users such as myself will be using Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Having to use the trackpad buttons to get out of Lexus' software is one step too many.

Check it out if you have the time, some of it is intuitive but overall it does feel like the addition of touchscreen was a little bit of an afterthought, although a welcomed one imo.
Old 04-20-22, 08:45 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

The one thing I like about the Avalon Limited they come with sequential turn signals. I was hoping Lexus would brought it to ES mid cycle refresh. Lexus also keeps the crappy back up camera. It looks worse for those paid for the large screen and when throw in reverse they get this to see this:

Last edited by ionian; 04-20-22 at 08:46 AM. Reason: ...
Old 04-20-22, 08:50 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by ionian
The one thing I like about the Avalon Limited they come with sequential turn signals. I was hoping Lexus would brought it to ES mid cycle refresh. Lexus also keeps the crappy back up camera. It looks worse for those paid for the large screen and when throw in reverse they get this to see this:

https://youtu.be/dJ4eKrek1Qs?t=641
It's pretty sad and unacceptable that Lexus put such a crappy reverse camera. I mean they couldn't even put a higher quality one in the MMC. Yes it serves it purposes, but that's a constant reminder that Lexus decided to cut corners in their $50k car. Cameras on Civics and even Corollas are higher quality....
Old 04-20-22, 09:35 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Honestly, all three interiors are cavernous, so I'm not too worried about it.

The headlights, I agree with you. I don't know if any functional change drove the restyle on the triple beams, but I concur that the old trapezoids looked cooler than the new little rectangles. But again, nothing I'd call any kind of deal breaker. Just that little tinkering MMC stuff.
Old 04-20-22, 10:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian

https://youtu.be/dJ4eKrek1Qs?t=641
I hate seeing this guy. like loathe. he spreads his legs in every video thumbnail--like he's trying to appear tough--and it just looks odd. plus his approach to car reviews are vanilla and just hate watching him for some reason.
Old 04-20-22, 10:12 AM
dezymond
Instructor

I hate seeing this guy. like loathe. he spreads his legs in every video thumbnail--like he's trying to appear tough--and it just looks odd. plus his approach to car reviews are vanilla and just hate watching him for some reason.
same boat, something about this guy annoys me, so I don't watch his videos. He has this somewhat salesman pitch vibe and speech, so I find that annoying. I forget which car but he mentioned "you can fit a pizza in this map pocket", like who the hell would even consider that...

Quick Reply: Triple Beams vs. Standard Headlights