ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Triple Beams vs. Standard Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 06:18 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts
Default Triple Beams vs. Standard Headlights

We've all heard that the triple beam headlight option is $1,500. We've alll heard they're mondo expensive to replace if they get fender-bendered. And we've all heard that they're better, so much so that the government rates the whole car a safety class higher if equipped with them.

My experience with the triple beams and automatic high beams so far is this:

•They're very bright, of course.

•They have quite an abrupt cutoff that makes then not that special in those moments when you're not on level ground.

•The automatic high beams work well enough that I don't feel like a jerk using them.

•The high beams are some of the brightest I've ever seen. I think they might melt the reflective material off of road signs.

I don't know as much about the headlights I didn't get, the standard ones. I've seen them rated as adequate/OK. My understanding is that they're the same units used on several mainstream cars, including some Fords (Edge?) and some Mazdas. What do you who own them think of them? Are they good enough that you'd choose them again and keep the cash?
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
jeff81505 (08-04-22), UltraLux22 (04-13-22)
Old 04-12-22, 06:31 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
We've all heard that the triple beam headlight option is $1,500. We've alll heard they're mondo expensive to replace if they get fender-bendered. And we've all heard that they're better, so much so that the government rates the whole car a safety class higher if equipped with them.

•They have quite an abrupt cutoff that makes then not that special in those moments when you're not on level ground.

•The automatic high beams work well enough that I don't feel like a jerk using them.

•The high beams are some of the brightest I've ever seen. I think they might melt the reflective material off of road signs.

I don't know as much about the headlights I didn't get, the standard ones. I've seen them rated as adequate/OK. My understanding is that they're the same units used on several mainstream cars, including some Fords (Edge?) and some Mazdas. What do you who own them think of them? Are they good enough that you'd choose them again and keep the cash?
My ES350 Ultra Luxury will be built and coming with the triple beam LED headlamps. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos that show how nice and bright that this option is on the Ultra Luxury model. It’s nice to hear that they’re very bright. That’s a good thing.

LexWannabe,
What do you mean when you say that they have an abrupt cutoff that makes them not that special in those movements when you’re not on level ground? Please explain what you mean by this.
Old 04-12-22, 07:20 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by glamglam
LexWannabe,
What do you mean when you say that they have an abrupt cutoff that makes them not that special in those movements when you’re not on level ground? Please explain what you mean by this.
Like any car whose headlights have a sharp cutoff, they're exactly as good as the match between the attitude of the car and the slope of the ground in front of it. If the ground falls away in front of you, you'll see forever as if you had your high beams on. If you're starting up a hill, your headlights will burn a hole in a spot 10 feet in front of the car.

Old-fashioned sealed-beam headlights had a softer, more diffuse cutoff that sprayed some light outside their pattern to minimize the issue. These modern ones don't, and it's just part of the price of having such bright light straight ahead and to the right without searing the retinas of oncoming motorists. If you're driving in a hilly area and there's not much traffic, the automatic high beams will help by kicking on when you're going uphill whenever nobody's coming at you.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (04-13-22)
Old 04-12-22, 07:37 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

What do you who own them think of them? Are they good enough that you'd choose them again and keep the cash?
Triple Beams is definitely worth it to me. My eyes sight aren't good as they were once a few years ago and so it can be a bit hairy driving at night with poor headlights. I would avoid driving at night without my ES.
The following 2 users liked this post by ionian:
LexFinally (04-12-22), UltraLux22 (04-13-22)
Old 04-12-22, 07:59 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

LOVE my triple beams and IMHO they are well worth the extra costs!
The following 3 users liked this post by carsareus:
ATL350 (04-13-22), mcomer (04-14-22), UltraLux22 (04-13-22)
Old 04-12-22, 08:34 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by ionian
Triple Beams is definitely worth it to me. My eyes sight aren't good as they were once a few years ago and so it can be a bit hairy driving at night with poor headlights. I would avoid driving at night without my ES.
Originally Posted by carsareus
LOVE my triple beams and IMHO they are well worth the extra costs!
I agree with both of you on this. The triple beam LED headlamps give better visibility at night. They are definitely worth the extra $1,215 cost to add to the ES350 Ultra Luxury.
Old 04-12-22, 10:39 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

They are near perfect. I love them.
UltraLux22 (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 01:02 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

agree with all of your points. Now that I have them, I would hands down get them again ! My 19’ didn’t have them.
Let’s face it, I love the aggressive look they bring. Cool as hell!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-13-22 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-13-22, 03:40 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

It's worth it just for the light show in the garage when you start the car and the triple beams go into self-leveling startup.

Seriously though, they do move left/right when driving on a curve, but don't adjust up and down when going over a hill.

I've found them to be very effective especially here in FL with many unlit highways and secondary roads.

They look way cool during daylight hours too. I also like that the front turn signal is separate from the white daytime running lights.
mcomer (08-05-22)
Old 04-13-22, 04:39 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

They are well worth the cost. In my opinion, this should be standard equipment on all UL models.
Old 04-13-22, 05:32 AM
LexFinally
Racer

I'm glad to hear from the Triple Beam owners. But what about you who DON'T have them? Do you find your headlights satisfactory?
Old 04-13-22, 05:35 AM
ionian
Instructor

I wonder if the updated look is only cosmetic or is there any improvement

2019 triple beam

2022 triple beam

Last edited by ionian; 04-13-22 at 05:36 AM. Reason: ..
Old 04-13-22, 05:43 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

2019 triple beam

2022 triple beam
The 2019 Triple beam headlights look better than the 2022 rectangular look.
The following 2 users liked this post by wmoor004:
ATL350 (04-13-22), LeeSoFL (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 06:00 AM
glamglam
Instructor

2019 triple beam

2022 triple beam
It would be nice to know as to “why” Lexus changed the type of LED’s to completely different LED’s in the 2022 model year. The LED’s in the 2021 ES looked much larger than the LED’s that they’re using right now for the 2022 ES. Are the 2021 LED’s much brighter than the 2022 LED’s? Has anyone in here asked a Lexus mechanic what the difference is between the 2021 and the 2022 LED’s and which of these LED’s is better and brighter? Or is the style change on the LED’s only purely cosmetics and is there no difference in brightness in the change in LED size from the year 2021 and the current year 2022? Does anyone in here know the details about this?

Last edited by glamglam; 04-13-22 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-13-22, 06:01 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by wmoor004
The 2019 Triple beam headlights look better than the 2022 rectangular look.
I think so too but we are probably a bit bias The 2019 looks more aggressive and it has the mean stare when viewing at them head-on. The 2022 looks more techy.
wmoor004 (04-13-22)

Quick Reply: Triple Beams vs. Standard Headlights