ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio - Top Ten systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22, 08:39 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts
Post Mark Levinson Audio - Top Ten systems

I found this article rating Auto Sound Systems. It mentions the ML in the LS but even at 1800 Watts in the ES, that's still darn good! IMHO

You can read the article here: https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying...stems-134063/#
You'll find the Lexus system on page 2.
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson Audio  - Top Ten systems-mark-levinson-audio-lexus.png  
Old 04-13-22, 08:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Generic article mention, dunno if it means much. Besides many hate their ML 7ES systems and say it sucks. Also there can't be more than 10 premium systems on the market period so not sure what that article is supposed to mean.

at the end of the day a car is a terrible place to truly listen to high quality music in.
Old 04-13-22, 08:59 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
Generic article mention, dunno if it means much. Besides many hate their ML 7ES systems and say it sucks. Also there can't be more than 10 premium systems on the market period so not sure what that article is supposed to mean.

at the end of the day a car is a terrible place to truly listen to high quality music in.
It was informational and intended as such.
You get out what you put in. Meaning if the audio source is low or average quality, it's probably going to sound as such. Using high quality audio as a source produces a nice sound stage. To each their own but if you haven't experienced the system as intended then your conjecture and negative opinion will be taken as such. This system is truly one of the better systems I've listened to. If you have not experienced or do not have the ML system, which it sounds like you don't or haven't, how do you expect for your or others opinions to be taken seriously? You can peddle your opinion somewhere else!
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 09:56 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

Until their amp takes a crap.
Old 04-13-22, 09:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Gotta love this debate - there have been numerous threads on ML. For me, it sounds okay - a drop better than the base system in my wife's RX. Inferior to what I hear in my daughter's Q5. But as E46 says, it's a car and not a concert hall.
Old 04-13-22, 10:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
It was informational and intended as such.
You get out what you put in. Meaning if the audio source is low or average quality, it's probably going to sound as such. Using high quality audio as a source produces a nice sound stage. To each their own but if you haven't experienced the system as intended then your conjecture and negative opinion will be taken as such. This system is truly one of the better systems I've listened to. If you have not experienced or do not have the ML system, which it sounds like you don't or haven't, how do you expect for your or others opinions to be taken seriously? You can peddle your opinion somewhere else!
haha i get it you're excited. you just bought your car with this new ML option and want to copy/paste articles you found that reinforces your purchase decision.

you'll likely be happy with your ML. just saying don't overhype it for yourself it can only go downhill from there.
Old 04-13-22, 10:08 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
haha i get it you're excited. you just bought your car with this new ML option and want to copy/paste articles you found that reinforces your purchase decision.

you'll likely be happy with your ML. just saying don't overhype it for yourself it can only go downhill from there.
I've had two ES's both with ML. It's about personal preference. I don't need validation on my decision. I'm just sharing information and encouraging discourse. What are you bringing to the table?
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 10:12 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Gotta love this debate - there have been numerous threads on ML. For me, it sounds okay - a drop better than the base system in my wife's RX. Inferior to what I hear in my daughter's Q5. But as E46 says, it's a car and not a concert hall.
Mikemu30, if I remember correctly, you stated in a previous thread that you were using Mp3 files maybe or just listening to base level audio. I know you were asking about conversions of digital audio. If you took my suggestion of either dvd or high quality audio such as FLAC files, I encourage that and then come back with your opinion. This isn't a dig, it's a suggestion.
Old 04-13-22, 10:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
Mikemu30, if I remember correctly, you stated in a previous thread that you were using Mp3 files maybe or just listening to base level audio. I know you were asking about conversions of digital audio. If you took my suggestion of either dvd or high quality audio such as FLAC files, I encourage that and then come back with your opinion. This isn't a dig, it's a suggestion.
The MP3 quality is so poor, I literally can't listen to that source. It's XM, CDs or HD FM for me. Stream sometimes. I'm not in the the car enough to invest more energy into creating a better source but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-13-22, 11:19 AM
wmoor004
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone that says the ML sound quality is poor is possibly justifying why they did not make the upgrade. Then again, they could be some type of OCD audiophile 😆. The system sounds much better than the base option on the same vehicle. In the past, i've spent 8k on vehicle sounds systems and quite honestly I regret those decisions. Live and learn. ML is a keeper and worthy upgrade to the ES.

Last edited by wmoor004; 04-13-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-13-22, 11:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 684 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The MP3 quality is so poor, I literally can't listen to that source. It's XM, CDs or HD FM for me. Stream sometimes. I'm not in the the car enough to invest more energy into creating a better source but thanks for the suggestion.
Wait... Are you claiming XM sounds better than MP3 in your ML equipped ES? XM is the equivalent to 64 Mbps on a good day. MP3 at 320 Mbps is fairly decent. Just below 44k FLAC.
Old 04-13-22, 11:44 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

savage geese had an audio engineer tested out the ML system on ES. I book marked moment when he starts to talk about it:

Last edited by ionian; 04-13-22 at 12:14 PM. Reason: ...
Old 04-13-22, 12:42 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 953 Likes on 600 Posts

I've heard the naysayers on the ES's ML system. I do not know if any front/rear adjustment has been made since 2019, but I have found that I prefer the same settings that others have found best: fader 2 steps rearward, surround off. This isn't my first rodeo with a car that has a nice sound system, and set up that way, I think it's terrific.

Now, the cited article talks not about this system, but about the ML system in the LS. That system is a whole different animal with more power, more speakers and a higher price. It's apparent that "Mark Levinson" is a brand name, not a stereo, and in my mind that article isn't even talking about this stereo.

In fact, I recall some years ago that Mr. Mark Levinson himself once posted to this site. He had sold the rights to Lexus to use his name on car stereos, and he pretty much said the obvious: No car stereos, including Lexus's, were truly up to the standards of Mark Levinson home hi-fi equipment. That's inevitable, and I'm okay with that.
Old 04-13-22, 01:16 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

We have all heard the expression crap in crap out and that is certainly true of our ML system. XM over the satellite sounds about like mp3 or bluetooth but if you use the XM app on phone with android auto the normal quality setting sounds a lot better about like the hd radio. If I use the max quality it sounds better but depends on location with the mobile data so I leave it on normal. On trips at high speed extra quality sound is muted anyway so regular xm is what I leave it on.
Old 04-13-22, 01:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Wait... Are you claiming XM sounds better than MP3 in your ML equipped ES? XM is the equivalent to 64 Mbps on a good day. MP3 at 320 Mbps is fairly decent. Just below 44k FLAC.
Truly no comparison. XM is fine and clear. The MP3 sound scratchy.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio - Top Ten systems