ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Smartaccess Key Card

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 06:31 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Smartaccess Key Card

I'm still exploring all the features of my new 2022 ES UL which I picked up last week. I was wondering what other think of and if/how they use the Smartaccess Key Card it came with. Do you actually carry it with you, like in your wallet or just for times when you don't want to lug the key along? Do you find it actually useful? I didn't specifically ask for the card, but it just came with the car (for about $100, of course). Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 04-27-22, 07:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

that card is from the old days of the CT200h. i think 2011? super duper super old. i think Lexus needs to update something smarter/newer/better instead of using old recycled stuff. i don't know if anyone uses that in 2022? I gave up my wallet years ago so i'd have no where to put that. i'd rather have smartphone/app access.
Old 04-27-22, 07:50 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

With everyone having smartphones, Lexus should ditch this old "smart" key and just concentrate on making a good phone app. I didn't opt for it in my car, but if it was thrown in I wouldn't mind. Would definitely take up less space in my pocket than a keyfob.
The following users liked this post:
EJC (04-28-22)
Old 04-27-22, 07:51 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
that card is from the old days of the CT200h. i think 2011? super duper super old. i think Lexus needs to update something smarter/newer/better instead of using old recycled stuff. i don't know if anyone uses that in 2022? I gave up my wallet years ago so i'd have no where to put that. i'd rather have smartphone/app access.
nah, it’s super duper super older (words of the day lol?) older than that. Like 2007 I think with the LS, maybe even before that

It works great if you don’t want to carry your key fob, just keep in your wallet or pocket.

don’t disagree smartphone access also would be good
E46CT (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 09:05 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I think that the smartaccess card key is very convenient and useful to have around if you forget your key. I never knew that it was an old days thing. It’s very small and thin to carry around in a pocket, purse or bag. I don’t see why people don’t like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by glamglam:
bullnobull (12-19-23), TerryNVA (12-17-23)
Old 04-27-22, 09:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

@ DaveGS4, Yeah you're right I was guessing it's older than that but wasn't sure and didn't want to misquote so I just quoted the earliest i saw it. 2007 is even worse!
Old 04-27-22, 09:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by glamglam
I think that the smartaccess card key is very convenient and useful to have around if you forget your key. I never knew that it was an old days thing. It’s very small and thin to carry around in a pocket, purse or bag. I don’t see why people don’t like it.
Probably because in light of other manufacturers like Tesla and BMW adopting newer smartphone access. I'd even go for a fingerprint. if iPhones can have a $5.50 device/thumbprint reader, why can't a $50,000 car? Cars can be really old/painfully slow to adopt new technology.
Old 04-27-22, 09:21 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Probably because in light of other manufacturers like Tesla and BMW adopting newer smartphone access. I'd even go for a fingerprint. if iPhones can have a $5.50 device/thumbprint reader, why can't a $50,000 car? Cars can be really old/painfully slow to adopt new technology.
True, but there some different considerations on cars such as weather and temperature extremes that smartphones aren’t designed or ruggedized for. That could be a factor.
Old 04-27-22, 09:23 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by glamglam
Because if it was really popular then more drivers and other manufacturers would have it. Instead, they've moved onto smartphone apps which is arguably the smartest move to do for any manufacturer at this point, instead of pushing old technology like a smart key card. Even with the key fob you can still remote start if needed, not with the keycard.
E46CT (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 09:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ATL350
True, but there some different considerations on cars such as weather and temperature extremes that smartphones aren’t designed or ruggedized for. That could be a factor.
smart phones can sit at the bottom of a 30 ft lake for days, months on end. so i don't think weather would be a problem. I regularly rinse/wash my iphone 13 pro under the sink /running water.

that wouldn't be hard to work out anyway even if it was an issue. wouldn't be a factor of 99% of customers.
Old 04-27-22, 09:52 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Smartphone manufacturers, the big ones anyway, put their phones through extensive stress tests including extreme temperatures and varying conditions. Yes it's sometimes difficult for input to register if water is on your device, say during a storm, but it isn't enough to prevent access. I've also seen where there were tests of using bluetooth LE that sends out the signal to unlock/lock the doors without having to access the app.

I'm not saying smartaccess key is bad, it's just obsolete, much like the cd players still found in the 2022 ES. There are those who still use it and it's great it's still an available option, but the majority have moved on. One thing Toyota/Lexus does very well is perfect older technology and wait for many of the bugs to be worked out on better technology before they implement it themselves.

Last edited by dezymond; 04-27-22 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 10:49 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Uuugggghh imagine the inconvenience of carrying a fob or even worse using a key We're getting spoiled peeps.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
ATL350 (04-27-22), FastDawg (12-17-23)
Old 04-27-22, 10:53 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm still exploring all the features of my new 2022 ES UL which I picked up last week. I was wondering what other think of and if/how they use the Smartaccess Key Card it came with. Do you actually carry it with you, like in your wallet or just for times when you don't want to lug the key along? Do you find it actually useful? I didn't specifically ask for the card, but it just came with the car (for about $100, of course). Thoughts? Thanks!
At first I didn't think I would use the key card very often but I found myself not needing the key fob more and more.
I almost never carry the key fob anymore. It's personal preference but I also tend to misplace my keys often. If I want to remote start, I use the Lexus app. If I want to open the trunk, I use my foot for the kick sensor. I avoid using the key fob unless necessary. I keep the card in either my pocket or wallet. The last time I had to use the key fob was to pop the trunk for someone as I was in the house. I rarely use this feature but you would need the key fob to be able to remotely open all of the windows and/or moonroof.

I agree that moving to an app/smartphone based platform would be even better as I am rarely without my phone.
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
ATL350 (04-27-22), LexFinally (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 10:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
At first I didn't think I would use the key card very often but I found myself not needing the key fob more and more.
I almost never carry the key fob anymore. It's personal preference but I also tend to misplace my keys often. If I want to remote start, I use the Lexus app. If I want to open the trunk, I use my foot for the kick sensor. I avoid using the key fob unless necessary. I keep the card in either my pocket or wallet. The last time I had to use the key fob was to pop the trunk for someone as I was in the house. I rarely use this feature but you would need the key fob to be able to remotely open all of the windows and/or moonroof.

I agree that moving to an app/smartphone based platform would be even better as I am rarely without my phone.
I view carrying around my cell phone as a bigger inconvenience than the keyfob but what choice do I have
Old 04-27-22, 11:02 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I view carrying around my cell phone as a bigger inconvenience than the keyfob but what choice do I have
Well you can wait until chips can be implanted in your head and then you can go truly hands free!

Quick Reply: Smartaccess Key Card