ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES Hybrid Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 05:21 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
. In fact, I resisted upgrading the past couple of years because I enjoyed the GS so much, but with gas prices being what they are, and with little hope of improvement, as well as the current trade-in value, I felt now was the time.
You maybe in for a shock and not in a good way. Getting the ES hybrid for its MPG alone shouldn't be your top reason. Your mileage will greatly vary depending on your driving style and commute. If you are a lead foot driver chances are you won't get near the advertised MPG. My combined MPG is 34 this time of the year. On the highway I can get 41MPG.
Old 05-13-22, 05:37 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a combination of factors. With the political uncertainties, gas prices, and supply chain issues that will only get worse in the next 3 years at least, I am looking to increase mileage from the 20mpg or so combined I get now. Since my GS is 9 years old and still retains remarkable value, I figured now was a good time to upgrade, since expensive repairs would likely be looming for the GS in the next few years. I have no illusions about getting the ES' rated 44mpg. If I can get 35 mpg combined, I will be happy.
Old 05-13-22, 05:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
You maybe in for a shock and not in a good way. Getting the ES hybrid for its MPG alone shouldn't be your top reason. Your mileage will greatly vary depending on your driving style and commute. If you are a lead foot driver chances are you won't get near the advertised MPG. My combined MPG is 34 this time of the year. On the highway I can get 41MPG.
Why else would you opt for a hybrid if not for MPG??
Old 05-13-22, 05:53 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That's easy. Nowadays, virtue signaling, of course. This does NOT, apply to me. In fact, I'm looking forward to friends finding out that I have a hybrid. They will do a double-take.
Old 05-13-22, 06:12 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
El. water pumps go bad all the time and they are expensive.
The el. water pump on my 2020 ESh scares me.
Well don't let it scare you. Next time you go to the dealership ask them how many electric water pumps they have swapped and most likely the answer will be zero. They are so reliable that unlike mechanical water pumps, there is no schedule to replace it.
Old 05-13-22, 07:50 AM
ionian
Instructor

That's easy. Nowadays, virtue signaling, of course. This does NOT, apply to me. In fact, I'm looking forward to friends finding out that I have a hybrid. They will do a double-take.
LOL. It sounds like your friends still have negative stereotypes or myths about hybrid. As long as the fuel price stays high you are getting the last laugh.

Last edited by ionian; 05-13-22 at 08:24 AM. Reason: ....
Old 05-13-22, 07:53 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Hehe now you're trolling us.
Old 05-13-22, 10:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian
Hehe now you're trolling us.
Not at all.
Old 05-14-22, 04:56 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Do all your friends drive hybrids and EV’s? Why would they do a double take?

Last edited by glamglam; 05-14-22 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 05:22 AM
glamglam
Instructor

It's a combination of factors. With the political uncertainties, gas prices, and supply chain issues that will only get worse in the next 3 years at least, I am looking to increase mileage from the 20mpg or so combined I get now. Since my GS is 9 years old and still retains remarkable value, I figured now was a good time to upgrade, since expensive repairs would likely be looming for the GS in the next few years. I have no illusions about getting the ES' rated 44mpg. If I can get 35 mpg combined, I will be happy.
Supply chain issues will not get worse in the next 3 years. Everything will be back to normal by the end of 2022 to the beginning or middle of 2023. Toyota is trying to be ahead of the game with everything.

Last edited by glamglam; 05-14-22 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 10:05 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by glamglam
Everything will be back to normal by the end of 2022 to the beginning or middle of 2023. Toyota is trying to be ahead of the game with everything.
That prediction was before Russia invaded Ukraine. Due to nature of globalization supply chain doesn't exist in a vacuum. We are interdependent on each others for better or for worse. Sure Toyota is trying to get ahead of the issue but there are limitations on what they can do as many factors aren't within their control.

Last edited by ionian; 05-14-22 at 10:07 AM. Reason: ...
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (05-14-22)
Old 05-14-22, 12:27 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
Supply chain issues will not get worse in the next 3 years. Everything will be back to normal by the end of 2022 to the beginning or middle of 2023. Toyota is trying to be ahead of the game with everything.
I find your predictions to be a little less like Nostradamus and a little more like Ms. Cleo. Please stop making predictions that you have absolutely no way of legitimely backing up. I cringe any time I read them because you can't be taken seriously anymore. Any credibility you might have had, at least for me, has completely disappeared. If anything, market conditions will likely decline further. Lexus specifically is still facing all types of issues including more transportation challenges. It will likely be next year before any "improvements" are seen and that's being optimistic. There are no certainties in this industry. One would have thought you might have learned that by now. However, you haven't exactly proven that you are receptive to feedback, whether it be from facts or well-regarded opinions.
Old 05-14-22, 02:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Let’s please get back on topic of the thread and not on the prognostications and personal commentary
Old 05-14-22, 03:14 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
I find your predictions to be a little less like Nostradamus and a little more like Ms. Cleo. Please stop making predictions that you have absolutely no way of legitimely backing up. I cringe any time I read them because you can't be taken seriously anymore. Any credibility you might have had, at least for me, has completely disappeared. If anything, market conditions will likely decline further. Lexus specifically is still facing all types of issues including more transportation challenges. It will likely be next year before any "improvements" are seen and that's being optimistic. There are no certainties in this industry. One would have thought you might have learned that by now. However, you haven't exactly proven that you are receptive to feedback, whether it be from facts or well-regarded opinions.
UltraLux22,
You cannot predict market conditions either. I was only stating my opinion about the situation. I feel that as time goes by (like 8 months to 1 year from now that things might get better). Time heals things. That’s what I was trying to refer to here. And as for the credibility part, nobody in here including yourself has any credibility about anything related to Lexus either. We all depend on bits and pieces of information from the Lexus sales manager as well as what we read in automotive publications and what we see and hear on YouTube. All the information that I posted on here during the last few months was found through others in here as well as from other automotive sources and from YouTube. I didn’t make that stuff up. I’m sorry that you don’t like it.
Old 05-14-22, 03:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let’s please get back on topic of the thread and not on the prognostications and personal commentary
Glamglam, please exit this thread. When a moderator sees a thread going off the rails and redirects the conversation need to take that guidance

Quick Reply: ES Hybrid Issues?